Prioritizing the Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prioritizing the Draft

As usual, the answers are all over the place. I still want a playmaker at 6 or even if we were to move back again.
at 18 it gets tricky because we don't know yet who we took at 6 plus we don't know who will still be there. From here I'd think moving down is the best move at 18 but what if a guy drops to us there that we did not expect? Very hard to predict and you need an open mind.
No doubt we need at least one playmaking WR, a RB and maybe one more O-line guy.

As far as defense we all know we need a pass rusher and maybe a safety. That's 5 positions I just mention and we have 5 picks in the first two days so.

The draft is indeed a priority..............oh you mean positionally. Playmaker/playmaker/playmaker. Substitute WR/LB and RB in any of those positions or Pitts (most of the other TEs are later round trash).

Pass rushers are not at the bottom. I have it...

1 WR
2 OT
3 CB
4 QB
5 DE
6 OLB
I wasn't giving my opinion. Going off ESPN and other sports analysts. Also, I stand corrected it wasn't Edge rated the worst it was DTs
Imo, this a pretty solid OLB draft.

Last edited:
I wasn't giving my opinion. Going off ESPN and other sports analysts. Also, I stand corrected it wasn't Edge rated the worst it was DTs
Imo, this a pretty solid OLB draft.
Parsons, Collins, Jamin Davis, Cox and a few others at linebacker. Not a bad class at all.

I wonder how the coaching staff sees Hunt and Van Ginkel. The draft may give us answers.
We'll know about Hunt if they don't draft a Tackle on the first two days of the draft. Tackles, if they start, play 100% of the offensive downs.

Van Ginkle is a more difficult read. He played 50% of the downs last year and Van Noy played 75% of them... so they both played a lot.

We could LOVE Van Ginkle and still draft another player to absorb Van Ginkle's snap counts while he absorbs Van Noy's.

Totally agree with everything here, the one last question I’d have is where do you think RB ranks in priority

As usual, the answers are all over the place. I still want a playmaker at 6 or even if we were to move back again.
at 18 it gets tricky because we don't know yet who we took at 6 plus we don't know who will still be there. From here I'd think moving down is the best move at 18 but what if a guy drops to us there that we did not expect? Very hard to predict and you need an open mind.
No doubt we need at least one playmaking WR, a RB and maybe one more O-line guy.

As far as defense we all know we need a pass rusher and maybe a safety. That's 5 positions I just mention and we have 5 picks in the first two days so.
Starting to feel like visiting Dennys. At this point those expensive restaurants with 4 choices are looking better to me right now lol.

Here's kind of how I see it.

Wide Receiver > everything else

Miami's biggest need just happens to be the draft's biggest strength. Get one of the top guys at #6. Could include Pitts, but would target him like a #1 receiver if drafted that high. Look at what a huge difference Diggs made for Allen in Buffalo. Having that first read that is always open is huge.

Center > Tackle

Ultimately, Hunt's best position may be guard, but I'd give him one more year at RT. If a tackle like Walter Little falls into Miami's lap at #50 sure, but otherwise prioritize center. There are a few quality ones in this draft, but I think that #36 might be the spot. Solve the position for a few years instead of playing musical chairs.

Pass Rushing DE > Van Noy type linebacker

Salary was part of the reason Van Noy was cut, but I have to believe the emergence of Van Ginkel played a role as well. Flores might considered that position solved. The Dolphins greater need is a defensive end who can rush the passer. The fact that Ogbah's contract is up after this year also has to be taken into account.

All that being said, Grier needs to stay open to possibilities. The Tunsil selection is a good example of taking advantage of players who unexpectedly drop.
Hunt played well down the stretch...I like him at RT.

I wonder how the coaching staff sees Hunt and Van Ginkel. The draft may give us answers.
That is true of the team as a whole. Do they see Brandon Jones as a safety solution? I liked what I saw, but who knows.

Do they see the WR group as the hot steaming pile that many fans see? IDK.

We will have answers two weeks from now, and I expect a lot of bitching, complaining amd hair on fire discussion........good times ahead......

Totally agree with everything here, the one last question I’d have is where do you think RB ranks in priority
Honestly, not that high.

If Flo brings the NE "platoon" philosophy, he probably sees it as a plug and pray situation.

I also think he puts a huge emphasis on pass pro from that position. One of the hardest transitions for a rookie back is in pass protection responsibilities, and if a guy isn't good at it, he isn't going to see many snaps.

Back
Top Bottom