Prioritizing the Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prioritizing the Draft

That is true of the team as a whole. Do they see Brandon Jones as a safety solution? I liked what I saw, but who knows.

Do they see the WR group as the hot steaming pile that many fans see? IDK.

We will have answers two weeks from now, and I expect a lot of bitching, complaining amd hair on fire discussion........good times ahead......
I strongly suspect that they liked what they saw from Jones. His % of snaps was 37%, which was much higher than any of the other reserve safeties. They were willing to give him a lot of time on the field and do it during a playoff run. The other Safeties all had counts under 5%. He was THE guy.

I will be a little surprised if he doesn't take a run at one of the starters THIS year. He may not win the job outright, but he's going to make the two vets sweat.

On the WRs: I'm betting that they don't see the core as being as bad as most of our Alabama and KC Chiefs obsessed fans do. The front office micro-focused on a deep threat because they knew Grant can't catch a cold, and let the other FAs go without making an offer. ...and I'm further willing to bet that they are a LOT more forgiving of Preston Williams injury as it was pretty clear that it was caused by Christian Wilkins and a freak situation.

My one question is what do they think of Wilson and Bowden?

I strongly suspect that they liked what they saw from Jones. His % of snaps was 37%, which was much higher than any of the other reserve safeties. They were willing to give him a lot of time on the field and do it during a playoff run. The other Safeties all had counts under 5%. He was THE guy.

I will be a little surprised if he doesn't take a run at one of the starters THIS year. He may not win the job outright, but he's going to make the two vets sweat.

On the WRs: I'm betting that they don't see the core as being as bad as most of our Alabama and KC Chiefs obsessed fans do. The front office micro-focused on a deep threat because they knew Grant can't catch a cold, and let the other FAs go without making an offer. ...and I'm further willing to bet that they are a LOT more forgiving of Preston Williams injury as it was pretty clear that it was caused by Christian Wilkins and a freak situation.

My one question is what do they think of Wilson and Bowden?
Hard to say.

I actually like Wilson's skillset, but the aquisition of Fuller kind of makes him redundant.

Bowden showed some elusiveness and versatility in limited snaps, but is a bit of a project as far as route running.

I'm assuming that we draft at least one WR, so there isn't room on the roster for all the guys under contract.

I don't see AW playing specials, so he would really have to excel in camp to make it.

Hard to say.

I actually like Wilson's skillset, but the aquisition of Fuller kind of makes him redundant.

Bowden showed some elusiveness and versatility in limited snaps, but is a bit of a project as far as route running.

I'm assuming that we draft at least one WR, so there isn't room on the roster for all the guys under contract.

I don't see AW playing specials, so he would really have to excel in camp to make it.
I've said all along that if I were designing a roster, I would endeavor to have three guys who were primarily flanks, 2 guys who were primarily slots and the last guy with the ability to play in any situation.

Right now I have it as Flanks: DVP, Williams, and Fuller.
Slots: Wilson and Bowden, with all of the other receivers on the outside, looking in.

But I'll quickly admit that this is purely a projection and and that ANY of these guys except Fuller are candidates to be traded. I like these guys better than the grumble crew here at FH, but I won't cry if I'm wrong... and Flores moves on from guys who I like.

I've said all along that if I were designing a roster, I would endeavor to have three guys who were primarily flanks, 2 guys who were primarily slots and the last guy with the ability to play in any situation.

Right now I have it as Flanks: DVP, Williams, and Fuller.
Slots: Wilson and Bowden, with all of the other receivers on the outside, looking in.

But I'll quickly admit that this is purely a projection and and that ANY of these guys except Fuller are candidates to be traded. I like these guys better than the grumble crew here at FH, but I won't cry if I'm wrong... and Flores moves on from guys who I like.
Interesting.....

I think both Fuller, and AW can play substantial snaps at either, though in Miami's case, MG sees snaps from the slot position, and I assume were we to draft Pitts, he would as well.

For what it's worth, I heard Flo say in a PC that he doesn't look at it in those rigid terms. He sees it as a spot on the field to create mismatches whether in quickness/speed, or size, depending on how best to attack a specific opponent, or alignment.

The key is versatility. That's one reason I like the idea of Pitts. For example, if you run in an offensive package imcluding Pitts, MG and Smythe, what defensive sub package do you get in response?

If Tua, and obviously everyone else, has a good command of the offense, the opposing D is between a rock and a hard place with personnel.

IMO Chase, Smith and Waddle are solid prospects. However, I really don’t see them as light years ahead of Elijah Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, etc. This time last year all the talk was about Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb, and Jefferson (the 5th WR taken) outplayed them all. A kid like Marshall ending up on a playoff team like GB could put up some monster numbers as a rookie.

IMO Chase, Smith and Waddle are solid prospects. However, I really don’t see them as light years ahead of Elijah Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, etc. This time last year all the talk was about Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb, and Jefferson (the 5th WR taken) outplayed them all. A kid like Marshall ending up on a playoff team like GB could put up some monster numbers as a rookie.
It isn't only last year that played out that way. It has been true historically, as well.

I don't understand why some refuse to acknowledge that reality.

Many of the same ppl who "preach" BPA, are the same ones that say "Tua needs", then try to rationalize reconciliation of the two.

Here's kind of how I see it.

Wide Receiver > everything else

Miami's biggest need just happens to be the draft's biggest strength. Get one of the top guys at #6. Could include Pitts, but would target him like a #1 receiver if drafted that high. Look at what a huge difference Diggs made for Allen in Buffalo. Having that first read that is always open is huge.

Center > Tackle

Ultimately, Hunt's best position may be guard, but I'd give him one more year at RT. If a tackle like Walter Little falls into Miami's lap at #50 sure, but otherwise prioritize center. There are a few quality ones in this draft, but I think that #36 might be the spot. Solve the position for a few years instead of playing musical chairs.

Pass Rushing DE > Van Noy type linebacker

Salary was part of the reason Van Noy was cut, but I have to believe the emergence of Van Ginkel played a role as well. Flores might considered that position solved. The Dolphins greater need is a defensive end who can rush the passer. The fact that Ogbah's contract is up after this year also has to be taken into account.

All that being said, Grier needs to stay open to possibilities. The Tunsil selection is a good example of taking advantage of players who unexpectedly drop.
Running back is a big need as well. Van Ginkel will be counted upon to replace the modest production of Van Noy.

The edge position is probably the weakest in This entire draft. Don’t reach for one. Sometimes you have to go with the strength of the draft which is WR & oline this year. RB group is solid and the top 3 look to be elite.

Number one mission of FO this year is to set Tua up to succeed. They passed on Herbert. They need to surround him with weapons & add another Oline piece.

The number One friend of a young QB is a running game and our backs are mediocre.

Don’t draft a mediocre Edge rushing prospect and pass up an elite RB, WR, or Oline prospect instead.

Running back is a big need as well. Van Ginkel will be counted upon to replace the modest production of Van Noy.

The edge position is probably the weakest in This entire draft. Don’t reach for one. Sometimes you have to go with the strength of the draft which is WR & oline this year. RB group is solid and the top 3 look to be elite.

Number one mission of FO this year is to set Tua up to succeed. They passed on Herbert. They need to surround him with weapons & add another Oline piece.

The number One friend of a young QB is a running game and our backs are mediocre.

Don’t draft a mediocre Edge rushing prospect and pass up an elite RB, WR, or Oline prospect instead.
Unfortunately, Miami didn't get an edge guy in free agency. While, I agree with following the talent in the draft, I think the Dolphins have to find a pass rusher.

That is true of the team as a whole. Do they see Brandon Jones as a safety solution? I liked what I saw, but who knows.

Do they see the WR group as the hot steaming pile that many fans see? IDK.

We will have answers two weeks from now, and I expect a lot of bitching, complaining amd hair on fire discussion........good times ahead......
Good points. Plus, do they see the draft the way the experts are laying it out? Do they see Pitts, Parsons and Sewell as the three potential elite players besides Lawrence?

I see a lot of "Edge class sux pls don't draft" in the thread which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just because there's no obvious "Chase Young" type prospect? Or is it because only 3 or 4 EDGE guys are worth drafting in the 1st? When you say "don't reach", are you saying don't go Edge at #6? Are you saying Kwity Paye or Jaelyn Phillips wouldn't be slam dunk picks at #18 in any draft class? Some clarity would be helpful.

Also, we have a Van Ginkel to replace a Van Noy. Who the hell do we have to replace a Shaq Lawson? He needed upgrading anyways, we absolutely need to be able to get home more frequently when rushing four, especially if we're ever going to beat Buffalo.

I see a lot of "Edge class sux pls don't draft" in the thread which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just because there's no obvious "Chase Young" type prospect? Or is it because only 3 or 4 EDGE guys are worth drafting in the 1st? When you say "don't reach", are you saying don't go Edge at #6? Are you saying Kwity Paye or Jaelyn Phillips wouldn't be slam dunk picks at #18 in any draft class? Some clarity would be helpful.

Also, we have a Van Ginkel to replace a Van Noy. Who the hell do we have to replace a Shaq Lawson? He needed upgrading anyways, we absolutely need to be able to get home more frequently when rushing four, especially if we're ever going to beat Buffalo.
Here's an interesting article on what the Patriots may be looking for at edge. Nothing earth-shattering or what we didn't know, but it does talk about desired measurables, etc. Note: I did a search for them because Flores and the Dolphins don't rate yet. Hopefully, that will change in time. :-)

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...edge-rushers-could-team-target-2021-nfl-draft

As much as I would like to continue to build around Tua, I am guessing we will go EDGE at #18. If so, I hope it's Oweh. Grier has shown he is willing to draft guys with elite athletic ability and let them develop. Or should it be, Grier has shown the ability to gamble on guys with elite athletic ability and hope they develop, lol. Either way, there are no guarantees. :cool:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Miami didn't get an edge guy in free agency. While, I agree with following the talent in the draft, I think the Dolphins have to find a pass rusher.
Meh. Our defense will be very good this year too whether they draft another edge player or not. As long as they feel good about whoever they draft, they don’t need to reach just because of need. Besides, a good running game will actually help the defense a lot. If you remember watching the games last year, very often the Offense couldn’t convert 3rd downs, and a lack of running game was a big contributor to that. Defense would end up gassed in the second half.

a running game helps Tua develop which is the most important priority this off season, and can help keep tue
Defense fresh which would also have an impact on the pass rush funny enough.

look, if there is an edge player they feel strongly about with one of our first four picks then they will probably take him which is fine, but we really shouldn’t miss out on one of the top 3 backs this year either, that’s all I’m sayin...

Im happy to roll the dice on a later round receiver and skip all this Pitts, Smith, Chase nonsense. For me its gut punches. Get the earth mover Sewell at 6 and Harris at 18. Watch the miracles that occur when the left side is constantly moving downfield and the opposing D has to respect it. Just me though, havent seen many who share this mindset.
I like the idea of being able to run the ball down people's throats, but without real threats in the passing game, you'll see 8-9 men in the box. That's not good. Will Fuller alone does not solve their issues. Neither does Wilson and or Hurns coming back.

I remember last year when many on here said Chase wasn't any good. Many of the 'draft experts' picking his game apart to the point where you would think he is undraftale. If we grab a DE at 18 ok, but I'd rather wait. We can grab someone in round 2 or 3.

Meh. Our defense will be very good this year too whether they draft another edge player or not. As long as they feel good about whoever they draft, they don’t need to reach just because of need. Besides, a good running game will actually help the defense a lot. If you remember watching the games last year, very often the Offense couldn’t convert 3rd downs, and a lack of running game was a big contributor to that. Defense would end up gassed in the second half.

a running game helps Tua develop which is the most important priority this off season, and can help keep tue
Defense fresh which would also have an impact on the pass rush funny enough.

look, if there is an edge player they feel strongly about with one of our first four picks then they will probably take him which is fine, but we really shouldn’t miss out on one of the top 3 backs this year either, that’s all I’m sayin...
Agree, a running game would do wonders for the entire team. The defense was on the field way too much last year and it's hard to win that way.

Back
Top Bottom