Prioritizing the Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prioritizing the Draft

I strongly suspect that they liked what they saw from Jones. His % of snaps was 37%, which was much higher than any of the other reserve safeties. They were willing to give him a lot of time on the field and do it during a playoff run. The other Safeties all had counts under 5%. He was THE guy.

I will be a little surprised if he doesn't take a run at one of the starters THIS year. He may not win the job outright, but he's going to make the two vets sweat.

On the WRs: I'm betting that they don't see the core as being as bad as most of our Alabama and KC Chiefs obsessed fans do. The front office micro-focused on a deep threat because they knew Grant can't catch a cold, and let the other FAs go without making an offer. ...and I'm further willing to bet that they are a LOT more forgiving of Preston Williams injury as it was pretty clear that it was caused by Christian Wilkins and a freak situation.

My one question is what do they think of Wilson and Bowden?
That would be my guess as well. Jones showed well as a rookie.

Looking at the wide receiver room, if Parker, Williams and Fuller are healthy, that's a good trio. The slot guys are a work in progress (Bowden, Perry), or in the case of Wilson kind of unknow injury-wise. That IMO is the biggest wide receiver hole for 2021. Long-term, you'd like to get a true #1.

Hard to say.

I actually like Wilson's skillset, but the aquisition of Fuller kind of makes him redundant.

Bowden showed some elusiveness and versatility in limited snaps, but is a bit of a project as far as route running.

I'm assuming that we draft at least one WR, so there isn't room on the roster for all the guys under contract.

I don't see AW playing specials, so he would really have to excel in camp to make it.
I read that Miami has 12 wide receivers currently on the roster. I believe the team drafts one high.

So, that's probably where some of the cuts to get under the salary cap will happen. Wilson's contract is team friendly, but I could still see him, Hurns and Grant being cap casualties.

Last edited:
I've said all along that if I were designing a roster, I would endeavor to have three guys who were primarily flanks, 2 guys who were primarily slots and the last guy with the ability to play in any situation.

Right now I have it as Flanks: DVP, Williams, and Fuller.
Slots: Wilson and Bowden, with all of the other receivers on the outside, looking in.

But I'll quickly admit that this is purely a projection and and that ANY of these guys except Fuller are candidates to be traded. I like these guys better than the grumble crew here at FH, but I won't cry if I'm wrong... and Flores moves on from guys who I like.
If Miami drafts Pitts, who plays in the slot in your opinion? I would think Miami would want Parker, Fuller, Gesicki and Pitts on the field as much as possible.

I see a lot of "Edge class sux pls don't draft" in the thread which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just because there's no obvious "Chase Young" type prospect? Or is it because only 3 or 4 EDGE guys are worth drafting in the 1st? When you say "don't reach", are you saying don't go Edge at #6? Are you saying Kwity Paye or Jaelyn Phillips wouldn't be slam dunk picks at #18 in any draft class? Some clarity would be helpful.

Also, we have a Van Ginkel to replace a Van Noy. Who the hell do we have to replace a Shaq Lawson? He needed upgrading anyways, we absolutely need to be able to get home more frequently when rushing four, especially if we're ever going to beat Buffalo.
Oweh's explosion numbers are off the charts. If he has the work ethic and desire, that could be a home run pick. I think a coaching staff will have to be patient with him.

I think Basham would be a great fit for Miami and he's not really being talked about in the top group. Meaning, maybe he's available at #36? Lots of talk about Rousseau being a fit and the JPP comparison gets your attention. His workout numbers were not impressive, though. Phillips has the concussion issues, but is a really good player.

There is a lot of risk in this group, but Grier's going to have to take a swing fairly early.

Back
Top Bottom