Private workouts/Drafting a QB on Saban's mind ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Private workouts/Drafting a QB on Saban's mind ?

Will we draft a QB ?

• One of the top two with our first pick

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • A second tier QB on the first day.

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • In the lower rounds

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Dolphins coaches and scouts are making their rounds, interviewing and working out college talent.

The team worked out Akron quarterback Charlie Frye on Thursday, a private session that included receiver Nick Sparks, according to Next Level Scouting. Sparks is a 6-3, 210-pounder who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.55.

Another quarterback the Dolphins will visit with next week is Auburn's Jason Campbell. Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Tennessee also are evaluating Campbell in private visits, according to Next Level.

Miami is looking for help along the offensive line and has scheduled a private workout with Mississippi offensive lineman Doug Buckles, whom scouts envision as a center in the NFL.

Hampton University center Jelani Clement also has drawn mild interest from the Dolphins. The team also has tentatively scheduled a workout with Albany offensive lineman Geir Gudmundsen and safety/linebacker Kurt Campbell.

The Dolphins also have scheduled a closer look with Central Florida running back Alex Haynes. Last week, Haynes, who is 5-9 and 224 pounds, ran a 4.52 in the 40.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11236242.htm

IMO Campbell and Frye are the best of the second tier QBs .Do you think we will draft a QB or do you think we will stick with the three we already have.?

Does anyone know anything about the other players that are being looked at ?

pFrye_Charlie04-1.jpg

Charlie Frye

Official Bio
College: Akron Height: 6-37/8
Position: Quarterback Weight: 225
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.82

SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Is an excellent leader and field general...Smart and tough...Has good size...Has good natural athleticism and speed...Durable and tough...Accurate passer...Has been very productive...Combines top intangibles with good physical ability and measurables.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have a big arm...Needs to continue to get stronger...Will birddog his receivers at times...Will make some mistakes by trying to force throws...Hasn't played against a lot of top teams so level of competition may be a concern.

Notes: Almost came out after his junior season and entered the 2004 NFL Draft where he was projected to be a 3rd or 4th round pick...Could be the next great signal caller from the MAC, following in the footsteps of Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger.

clear.gif

Jason Campbell
Official Bio
College: Auburn Height: 6-43/4
Position: Quarterback Weight: 230
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.85
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has excellent size...Has a big league arm and can make all the throws...Top natural athletic ability...Can run and scramble a little...Solid character and a hard worker...Still has a lot of upside and potential and may have turned the corner in 2004.

Weaknesses: Has been very inconsistent throughout his career...Doesn't read defenses well...Holds onto the ball too long and doesn't have a great feel for the pass rush...Makes poor decisions...Has to work on his technique and mechanics...Was aided by a tremendous running attack and great defense.

Notes: Highly touted recruit who finally began living up to his potential as a senior after a very up and down career...Was a one year wonder but has all the physical tools and will likely be among the top handful of signal callers drafted...Boom or bust type o

CrunchTime said:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11236242.htm

IMO Campbell and Frye are the best of the second tier QBs .Do you think we will draft a QB or do you think we will stick with the three we already have.?

Does anyone know anything about the other players that are being looked at ?
I truly believe that Saban wants to trade down inho!!
And the trade down theory is probably the main option that Saban is focusing on the hardest.. Imo I believe that he wants to trade out of the 2nd pick because of all the value that can be drafted in the late 1st rnd..
Saban is also trying to replace the 2nd rnd pick that the Phins have sent to Philadelphia, thus the movement of Surtan....
It is interesting to watch head games that Saban and other top ten teams h-c's are playing with showng interest other predicted top 10 or 15 1st rounders..
I truly doubt that the Dolphins will take a qb with the 2nd overall pick but with all this latest interest in B Edwards etc.. ,, Saban has me thinking that he might go with a wide out!!!
:D

Marino1983

clear.gif
Alex Haynes

Official Bio
College: Central Florida Height: 5-97/8
Position: Running Back Weight: 223
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.55

SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has good size and a solid build...Versatile and can contribute as a blocker and as a receiver out of the backfield...Runs hard and with power...Shows good vision and runs well inside...Versatile.

Weaknesses: Doesn't do anything great...Durability will be a big concern for scouts...Doesn't have great speed and isn't very explosive...Will he be able to grasp a pro offense?...May have a limited upside.

Notes: Good running back who does everything well but doesn't excel at anything...May never be anything more than a backup or 3rd down back at the pro level...Could be a nice pick in the later rounds.

Double D said:
we dont want a qb for are first pick we want a rb

We want a RB, but Saban might just want a QB with the second pick.

Nick is certainly covering his bases, and he's sending out all sorts of signals that he may not think AJ is the guy to lead this team into the future.

So far, Miami has shown a great deal of interest in Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Charlie Frye, and David Greene......probably the top five quarterbacks in the draft.

Miami has also shown a lot of interest in Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Ciatrick Fason.....probably the top four runners in the draft.

Miami has shown interest in both Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams while showing some interest in other receivers like Reggie Brown, Matt Jones, and Fred Gibson.

He is certainly doing his due diligence in this process, making damn sure he has the right guy.

The trade down theory is certainly one that will be explored. Running backs tend to drop some on draft day, and Nick can likely trade down to the 7th or 8th pick while still getting one of the Auburn runners, or possibly even Cedric Benson. I believe Minnesota, Arizona, and San Diego will be calling Miami with interest in that pick.

Saban's plan must be working because he has everyone on this site confused. I think he'l take a rb, no I think he's leaning toward a QB, no perhaps a WR or an OL or DE, maybe CB. Yeah he'll probably take one of those. We won't really know what he's going to do until draft day. IMO only Saban knows what he's going to do.

KB21 said:
Nick is certainly covering his bases, and he's sending out all sorts of signals that he may not think AJ is the guy to lead this team into the future.

So far, Miami has shown a great deal of interest in Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Charlie Frye, and David Greene......probably the top five quarterbacks in the draft.

Miami has also shown a lot of interest in Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Ciatrick Fason.....probably the top four runners in the draft.

Miami has shown interest in both Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams while showing some interest in other receivers like Reggie Brown, Matt Jones, and Fred Gibson.

He is certainly doing his due diligence in this process, making damn sure he has the right guy.

The trade down theory is certainly one that will be explored. Running backs tend to drop some on draft day, and Nick can likely trade down to the 7th or 8th pick while still getting one of the Auburn runners, or possibly even Cedric Benson. I believe Minnesota, Arizona, and San Diego will be calling Miami with interest in that pick.

Keith your left out Lefors, Gee I wonder why....your correct....Saban is sending a message...he isn't going to use the 2nd pick on a junior QB.

Saban is sending out all sorts of messages. The only time we will know what he's going pick is the day of the draft. As much as i would like to see him pick up a qb, we need a runningback bad. I personally like Rodgers, Smith, or Orton.

fishypete said:
Keith your left out Lefors, Gee I wonder why....your correct....Saban is sending a message...he isn't going to use the 2nd pick on a junior QB.

I think if Lefors is around in the 4th or even 5th round we will take him. He knows Linehans offense and I think he can be a great backup at least for us.

Back
Top Bottom