Pro Football Focus: Xavien Howard Headlines Big Day for Miami Dolphins Secondary | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Focus: Xavien Howard Headlines Big Day for Miami Dolphins Secondary

2 things:

Thomas hasnt looked like the DT of old... himself as a player and obviously bad QB play (like us)

X has generally been in decent position most of the year. He just hasnt been making a play on the ball for a PBU. He needs to get his head around when the ball is in the air and make a play.

Wether or not the opposing QB is good or not, shouldn’t take away from Howard making that interception. Howard made the play and took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself. That’s all you can ask for from a young player such as Howard. All QB’s make mistakes or bad throws, the difference to me, is the good QB’s make fewer than the bad ones, and in some cases are almost perfect for long stretches. Howard did his job on Sunday, but, it was his coverage that impressed me more than anything else, he basically shut down a top WR.

Good let's lock down the Patsies WR's next. No Gronk will put pressure on the WR's. Also, I think the Pats will look at how many times we hit Brady and Dion Lewis's almost 8 yards a carry and try to pound us. We best be ready.

That's what happens when you play a team that doesn't have a QB and has packed it in for the season (sound familiar?). We were at home, hence our players were going to give the better effort.

If this game was in their house I bet the outcome would have been reversed.

Monday should tell us a little something.

2 things:

Thomas hasnt looked like the DT of old... himself as a player and obviously bad QB play (like us)

X has generally been in decent position most of the year. He just hasnt been making a play on the ball for a PBU. He needs to get his head around when the ball is in the air and make a play.
This I can agree with. X hasn't been getting burnt at all, always been right there but with the lack of ball awareness and pass rush he gives up completions.

He was lockdown all day..Fun to watch.

Really was!! I have and still believe Howard can and should be our #1 CB for awhile. Denver is just another team that shows how bad QB play can ruin a team. Denvers D has studs and they were getting torched and ran over by our Jay Cutler led offense. Drake has really made the Ajayi trade not seem so bad after all. If he can stop fumbling, we might have found a formidable replacement already on the roster. I just want to see some progression especially from the young guys and we def seen it from the guys that needed to show up..Tunsil, Drake, Howard, McCain, Mcdonald, etc..

2 things:

^^^^^^This

He has good route anticipation but his ball awareness needs to improve. He's not the fastest or most athletic corner out there so he needs to get that head around and contest throws into tight windows.

I'm not real worried about the corner situation ... they're young and showing improvement. It's the safeties and LBers that I have me eye on.

That's what happens when you play a team that doesn't have a QB and has packed it in for the season (sound familiar?). We were at home, hence our players were going to give the better effort.

If this game was in their house I bet the outcome would have been reversed.

Fantastic summary and situational awareness. That is exactly the type of game in which home field is massive. Once the season is all but finished the home team might not own the energy advantage but with still a month to go it is very common for the home team to summon atypical energy, to briefly overturn a prolonged slump and satisfy the fan base. It is very fortunate we are not playing at Kansas City this week, because you would see the same type of fury from them.

Baylor often played lousy teams and Howard looked like this. That Denver quarterbacking was so inept I found myself not paying much attention when they had the football. <O> provided the Denver quarterback rating. Primarily I was happy that I didn't pay to attend the game. Ticket prices plummeted to my range but I wanted to see a competitive game, and particularly the old logos. Somebody here said they attended the game and were never worried about a Denver rally.

Howard has impressive tenacity but when a young cornerback doesn't have downfield ball awareness it normally remains a weakness.

Back
Top Bottom