Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

Spending big bucks on a FA RB isnt smart. That said, Jones is elite and can help Tua out immensely. Id prefer they spend he money on a veteran WR that can get open for Tua and draft a couple backs in this draft. One of Harris, Etienne, or Williams and then maybe a Chubba Hubbard later in the 4th.

Spending big bucks on a FA RB isnt smart. That said, Jones is elite and can help Tua out immensely. Id prefer they spend he money on a veteran WR that can get open for Tua and draft a couple backs in this draft. One of Harris, Etienne, or Williams and then maybe a Chubba Hubbard later in the 4th.
If Hubbard is there in the 4th I am selecting him -

I don't have a problem signing a veteran RB, but my preference is for a draft pick in the mid rounds. Sure, I'm devaluing the RB position ... but that's how I feel about it in today's pass-first NFL. How much of an upgrade is he over the Myles Gaskins and Salvon Ahmed types we have on the roster already? Is he a 7M+ per year upgrade? IMHO, maybe not. He wants 15M per year, but FA RB's get Melvin Gordon type contracts, so he's likely to get under 10M per year, which is the only reason I'm even remotely interested.

Salary cap management means finding those spots where you can get by with cheaper players. IMHO, the RB spot is one of those places. Now if we add a Travis Etienne or Najee Harris, that's 4 to 5 years of stellar RB play at a time when they have less mileage and greater durability than a FA, and for a much lower salary. If we need an upgrade at RB, I'd prefer to draft one.
Here here

FA RBs don’t often work out.

Sure he’d be a lot better than our current backs...but how much better would he be than one of the top 3 we could draft? Worth noting that those 3 are all much younger without the wear on their bodies...and Jones is notorious for being injured...

No. Please no. Just when we finally have a young and promising team with so many picks...please God do not let us revert back to that old Dolphins team that thinks a few big name FAs are going to turn things around...we have the chance to build a dynasty if we just STAY the course.

I think once you get into the habit of getting a really good one, then you can churn them every 2 or 3 years and take advantage of that value. I still would start that "process" this year, on day 3. But Jones ability as a Flex on passing downs would be a real solid add to this offense in addition to the running and pass pro ability. He's a legit 3 down back with good tread left.

I'd pay a RB before taking one with one of the 4 top 50 picks. Obviously there is always exceptions to every rule but I'm not trying to be forced into the position early because I was worried about giving a back like Jones less than double of the cap hit I just gave Howard last year.

Jones is unique as I wouldn't of paid Zeke, or Dalvin for various reasons, but the skillset and just overall character of Aaron Jones has something I've admired from afar. Great kid and a great player.
Good points. To me it's also a bit of supply versus demand. You can find running backs at bargain prices.

Also, the draft is pretty good as far as running backs are concerned. Lots of options there.

I do like Jones, but not at $10-12 million.

My under-the-radar running back in the draft is Stevenson, who played for Oklahoma.

Bigger, physical back who I think would complement Gaskin and Ahmed well.

We’ve been stung twice on FA RB’s recently so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we take our chances in the draft.

I’m not dissing Jones as he is a good back but he’ll want top dollar and the cost of a rookie contract is a lot easier to swallow should they not produce or get banged up.

Imagine being an Nfl running back with an All pro left tackle, all pro center, pro bowl guard, all pro QB, and an all pro wide receiver . Just saying buyer beware paying big $$$$ for Jones.
That’s fair but it cuts both ways as it’s also fair to say Jones helps each of those players as well.

I think the danger people fall into is putting every free agent RB in the same pigeon hole. You can’t do that. Look at the specific player not the trend. Jones is an elite 3-down RB, at a good age with very little wear on him based on his four years of touches. There’s a lot to like and no guarantee any draft pick performs like him.

You also have to factor the team’s desperate need for playmakers. People say “spend it on a WR.” Well guess what, UFA WRs don’t always workout either and Miami won’t likely see a worthwhile one on the market this offseason. So they may have a chance at an elite back, saving them from investing a top 50 pick on the position and allowing them to address another position in the process.

I think it’s just a weak argument when people say “never give an RB a second contract” or “just draft one.” There are plenty of examples where that hasn’t worked. If you believe Jones is elite and should still have 3-4 good years then you have to strongly consider it.

We’ve been stung twice on FA RB’s recently so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we take our chances in the draft.

I’m not dissing Jones as he is a good back but he’ll want top dollar and the cost of a rookie contract is a lot easier to swallow should they not produce or get banged up.
I hear you but until that rookie plays, you don’t really know how good they are, especially as an every down back that can block. Jones does it all and it would save Miami from using a top 50 pick on an RB. There are a few things to consider, it’s not a linear argument as they say.

I prefer not to spend big bucks on a FA RB as I agree it generally isn't smart, but another thing that's not smart is spending big bucks on FA WR.

That’s fair but it cuts both ways as it’s also fair to say Jones helps each of those players as well.

I think the danger people fall into is putting every free agent RB in the same pigeon hole. You can’t do that. Look at the specific player not the trend. Jones is an elite 3-down RB, at a good age with very little wear on him based on his four years of touches. There’s a lot to like and no guarantee any draft pick performs like him.

You also have to factor the team’s desperate need for playmakers. People say “spend it on a WR.” Well guess what, UFA WRs don’t always workout either and Miami won’t likely see a worthwhile one on the market this offseason. So they may have a chance at an elite back, saving them from investing a top 50 pick on the position and allowing them to address another position in the process.

I think it’s just a weak argument when people say “never give an RB a second contract” or “just draft one.” There are plenty of examples where that hasn’t worked. If you believe Jones is elite and should still have 3-4 good years then you have to strongly consider it.
I think everybody would agree that jones is a good RB. It's the price that it'd cost that gives people pause. We only have so much money to spend and spending that money on a free agent RB is not the way to go unless that's your last missing piece which in our case is not.

I hear you but until that rookie plays, you don’t really know how good they are, especially as an every down back that can block. Jones does it all and it would save Miami from using a top 50 pick on an RB. There are a few things to consider, it’s not a linear argument as they say.
I think you can make a good argument either way. I like Jones and wouldn’t be against it if the money is right. I guess that’s the big thing for us this off season, keeping a good cap and signing impact players.

Back
Top Bottom