Pro Football Weekly and Yahoo NFL preview POSITION GRADES | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Weekly and Yahoo NFL preview POSITION GRADES

34miami23

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So I went to the store the other day and was browsing in the magazine section and came across two NFL preview magazines for the upcoming season. I ended up buying both of them (I couldn't decide) and I thought I'd share some info.

The Athlon Sports preview had the following AFC playoff seeding predictions:
1) Chargers
2) Ravens
3) Colts
4) Jets
5) Texans
6) Dolphins

somewhat of a shock that the Pats were left off. The Pats were listed 8 on the AFC power rankings. They predict the Ravens v Jets in the AFC Championship though.

The Yahoo book predicted that the Jets win the division and we finish 3rd at 9-7. However, the interesting thing about this book is that it rated each position for every team and I just thought I'd share because ... hey it's the offseason and it's boring. Here are the teams from the AFC EAST

Dolphins
QB: C
RB: C+ (I COMPLETELY DISAGREE HERE)
WR: C+
OL: B
DL: B-
LB: C
DB: C-
ST: C

Patriots
QB: A- (wow a minus?)
RB: B- (too high imo)
WR: B+ (too low imo)
OL: B+
DL: B+
LB: B-
DB: B-
ST: B+

Jets
RB: B (HIGHER THAN THE DOLPHINS?!?!?!?)
WR: B
DL: C+
LB: A
DB: A-
ST: C-

Bills
QB: C (too high imo)
RB: B+
WR: C-
OL: D+
DL: D+
LB: C+
ST: A

so just some food for thought ... i know it means nothing but hey its just June!

So the Pats have better grades in almost every category yet the Phins get in over them......of course! :tongue:

who are the Pats RB that they are higher than Miami? I don't get it...they are like 400 yrs old.

Our RB rating is way to low, and although unproven at QB, Henne/Pennington/Thigpen/White deserve at least a C+. No worries though let them rate us low, makes it more fun when we roll teams come game time. I love the underdog theme that's growing here.

So I went to the store the other day and was browsing in the magazine section and came across two NFL preview magazines for the upcoming season. I ended up buying both of them (I couldn't decide) and I thought I'd share some info.

The Athlon Sports preview had the following AFC playoff seeding predictions:
1) Chargers
2) Ravens
3) Colts
4) Jets
5) Texans
6) Dolphins

somewhat of a shock that the Pats were left off. The Pats were listed 8 on the AFC power rankings. They predict the Ravens v Jets in the AFC Championship though.

The Yahoo book predicted that the Jets win the division and we finish 3rd at 9-7. However, the interesting thing about this book is that it rated each position for every team and I just thought I'd share because ... hey it's the offseason and it's boring. Here are the teams from the AFC EAST

Dolphins
RB: C+ (I COMPLETELY DISAGREE HERE)
WR: C+
OL: B
DL: B-
LB: C
DB: C-
ST: C

Patriots
QB: A- (wow a minus?)
RB: B- (too high imo)
WR: B+ (too low imo)
DL: B+
LB: B-
DB: B-
ST: B+

Jets
RB: B (HIGHER THAN THE DOLPHINS?!?!?!?)
WR: B
DL: C+
LB: A
ST: C-

Bills
QB: C (too high imo)
RB: B+
WR: C-
OL: D+
DL: D+
LB: C+
ST: A

so just some food for thought ... i know it means nothing but hey its just June!

Thanks for the post. But are these guys serious??? Pats and Buffalo have a better run game than us? I for one am a bit sick of all the Pats love.

So the Pats have better grades in almost every category yet the Phins get in over them......of course! :tongue:

no the book that had the grades had the following:
1) Jets 10-6
2) Pats 10-6
3) Fins 9-7
4) Bills 4-12

we have the worst running backs in the division? thats a laugh..

Wow.
I'd make these changes:

Dolphins
QB: C (I'd say B- right now, with upside potential as A-)
RB: C+ (I'd say B)
WR: C+ (With Brandon Marshall alone, I'd give us a B)
OL: B (Should be A-, this is the strength of our team-it is a VERY strong OL)
DL: B- (OK)
LB: C (OK, but with upside potential)
DB: C- (C+, with upside potential)
ST: C (B-, Carpenter is very solid, Fields is a good punter, if we had a proven returner, then I'd say A)

i'm going to the bathroom, and i'm going to throw some stuff against the wall, and i'll come up with better grades than these.

You said the Pats were left out of the playoffs in their opinion, right?

The Athlon book which had us finishing 2nd in the division and having the 6th seed in the playoffs had the pats missing out (and 8th in the AFC rankings)

The Yahoo book, which these grades came from, had us finishing 3rd behind the Jets, and Pats respectively.

I had 2 different magazines ... sorry for making it confusing lol

The Yahoo book also gave each player a rating and rank among those in the position ... here are a few interesting ones:

QB
1) Manning
2) Brees
3) Brady
7) Rodgers
13) Ryan
20) Cassel
21) Henne
22) Hasselbeck
23) Sanchez

RB
1) C. Johnson
2) Petersen
3) Jackson
14) Ronnie Brown
21) Thomas Jones
23) Shonn Greene
27) Ricky Williams

(nowhere to be found - LT)

WR
1) Andre Johnson
2) Fitzgerald
3) Brandon Marshall
19) Santonio Holmes
29) Braylon Edwards

Tackle
1) Ryan Clady
2) Joe Thomas
3) Jake Long

Inside Linebacker
1) Patrick Willis
4) Vilma
5) David Harris
6) Ray Lewis
7) Jerod Mayo
8) Karlos Dansby
10) Bart Scott

theres absolutely no possible way the jets RC is higher than ours, edwards is just awful, he's ginn without the sideline diving. edwards isnt even close to marshall, not even in the same social class, camarillo has better hands than their entire receiving corps. hartline has more big play potential than there entire corps, how is it even close?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dolphins
Obviously C means average. And obviously they don't get out A's easy.. They try to stay around C with only elite players in A..and greats near B..
QB: C(Henne is an average QB and everyone here is looking at his potential.. If he plays like he did last year you'll all ask to trade him with these 4,000 yard posts and what not..Good depth..I give a C)
RB: C+ (Ronnie Brown is amazing..and our depth is insane..and Polite??..I give us a B..above average)
WR: C+(Top 3 receiver, one of the best slot receivers in the league..and 2 more great players as 2a and 2b receivers..I'd say a B..above average)
OL: B(Two top 5 tackles for their positions.. Two top 15 C's.. Average guards IMO at this point..I'd say a B)
DL: B-(A pro bowler, a solid pro in Langford and either a rookie who beats out Merling..or Merling himself with great depth. This was before the off-field issues..I'd give a B-)
LB: C (A pro bowler again.. solid second LB in Crowder, a great backup/possible starter in Dobbins, a great pass rusher in Wake..but Wake's possible issues surrounding his game and our other starters are either rookies or unproven pros.. We'd be a D without Dansby. I'd give us a C)
DB: C-(The rookies played great for rookies but it's hard to guess at their upcoming year.. They could be the next Surtain and Madison..or play at the same level. Will Allen is an above average CB.. Bell is great in run support but not in pass coverage..questions at FS.. C-)
ST: C(LS, K, and P are all above average but we're not sure how our return game will be..C)

They did great besides WR and RB..

Wow, we suck. Good thing Yahoo is around to let us know.

I really love this kind of underrating. It usually results in a year of shoving our wins down the throats of incompetent media sources.

Back
Top Bottom