Probably wise to draft a "2nd tier QB" after all.........

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NYC#1finsfan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan Finheaven VIP

With the lack of ability to put together an attractive package, in order to move up in the draft and Buffalo and the NYJ in more lucrative positions than we are it may be wise to address more pressing needs at #11 and draft an attractive second tier QB to groom behind RT for the future. This would also alleviate any pressure for the team to immediately start the draft pick day one and relieve any pressure on Tannehill to the point where he is looking over his shoulder after every pass.

Let's get behind #17 and pray that he's healthy and will lead the Dolphins to bigger and better heights than we have become used to. Hopefully the draft proves fruitful and F.A. isn't wasted by our front office, which have taken their fare share of lumps from us and rightfully so. Glass half full, yes it's difficult but I bleed Dolphins colors and I MUST go into this season optimistically.

NorthernFin, MercMan, Etuoo33 and 4 others like this.
  2. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

If you take a second tier qb, that means you are lining him up to replace Tannehill someday. I'm with you on the support Tannehill part though. If he is the clear starter and we don't go qb, then I'll absolutely pull for him.

3. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Here's the thing:

I want no part of Tannehill if he can't handle the pressure of competition. I don't think that's even an issue. Remember what he did when Philbin refused to name him the starter before the London game a few years back; that worked out well.

I'm still of the opinion one of the QBs could fall to 11 VERY easily. It's very possible Denver will NOT take a QB now in the first round, and if the Jets end up with Cousins....

Anyway. If I'm the Fins, I stay right the heck where I am at 11. If Baker Mayfield is there, I probably take him. If no, I take BPA, and grab a QB where it offers the most value. If someone like Mason Rudolph falls to the 2nd? Sure. If Luke Falk or Kurt Benkert is there in the 4th? Sure. But yes, we need to develop someone.

4. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I like to this coming from you.

If he's healthy, he's got all the motivation he needs.

If you (or any fan) think you were frustrated by the 2017 season, it pales in comparison to the fire burning inside that dude. You think watching Jay Cutler QB your team pissed you off?

I don't know how Ryan's career will pan out. Nothing is guaranteed in life.

I do know I wouldn't bet 1 cent against that man.

I am the ultimate optimist because whats the point of watching football (or living) if your not?

NorthernFin, Ray R, lurking and 4 others like this.
  5. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

RE:
    Probably wise to draft a "2nd tier QB" after all.........

I could be a smarty and say "No thanks. We already have one of those!"

But hey.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

BNF.

Hooligan, Tureo and Elle Clouds like this.
  6. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

If Denver needed a QB before signing Keenum, then I think they still need one. Paxton Lynch must be really, really, really bad. Brock Osweiler bad.

There's going to be a crazy scramble for QBs at the top of the draft, but it all depends on which teams like which players. If everybody's scrambling up for Darnold and Rosen, then Mayfield or Allen could be there at 11.

Ray R likes this.
  7. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Denver has just come out and said signing Keenum would not stop them from drafting a QB. The Jets have re-signed McCown but say they are working on a deal for Bridgewater to be a back up. Still extremely dicey that a Qb gets to 11

8. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Mason Rudolph in round 2 would be a dream.

Rhoadsy13, artdnj, Dolphins81 and 2 others like this.
  9. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

If I were Bridgewater I'd stay far away from NYJ now since they seem to love McCown so much. He'd be better off accepting a straight up backup job somewhere else for a starter likely to be injured than potentially be third on a team with an inexplicable starter and a high pick they want to develop.

10. BIGTom-

BIGTom- Member

11. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I agree I think the 2nd is the earliest were gonna get a QB. I don't see anyway the top 4 QBs make it close to 10. Too many teams need QB's that are already ahead of us, and others will trade ahead of us if one slips.

Ray R likes this.
  12. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Have him learn behind THill

13. RedWhiteNBlue

RedWhiteNBlue Well-Known Member

So on board with this and if Barkley falls past 2 we better go get him.

14. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

If Miami doesn’t have ammo to go up and get a QB how are they going to get Barkley if he falls past number 2?

15. RedWhiteNBlue

RedWhiteNBlue Well-Known Member

You misunderstood. I wouldn't draft a QB when there is a supreme all time talent like Barkley there for the taking. No one will draft him if the Giants don't at 2 until 7 Tampas pick. They won't pass and we certainly have that fire power. There is plenty of good talent at QB that can be had in the late 2nd or 3rd.

16. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I would hate to draft a QB in the 2nd and miss out on Andrews or some other quality TE. If it's purely a backup QB than wait until at least the 3rd round.

SCOTTY, Etuoo33 and DolfinJohnNY like this.
  17. The Goat

Of course they're going to say that. And yes, it's dicey. It always is.

But there's a decent amount of weird stuff going on that makes me go "Wait....what?" The Jets now have Bridgewater, McCown, Hackenberg, AND Petty under contract. Are they really going to draft a 1st round QB and cut bait on Hackenberg and Petty, both of whom were drafted in the last three drafts? Maybe so, but I wouldn't call it a slam-dunk.

My point is that people are treating it like it's etched in stone that there is no way on God's Green Earth that a QB makes it to 11. I disagree.

Ray R and Liphinphan like this.
  18. The Goat

For what it's worth, if you're looking for a developmental QB who has all the tools and is a total project, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone more fitting than Christian Hackenberg. If the Jets cut him, he'll land somewhere. I'd certainly rather have him than David Freaking Fales.

19. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

You have obviously never watched him play then. There is not a QB in the NFL I would rather have less, not even Henne. Most overrated player in collegiate history, I was oh so happy when the Jets drafted him.

20. The Goat

if the Giants pass on Barkley and the Colts don't take him, I might just randomly smack something. He is the perfect fit for that team.

21. The Goat

I have absolutely watched him play, repeatedly. He regressed so badly after O'Brien left it was crazy. Something *happened* there. I don't know what it was, but the Hackenberg of his freshman year was something spectacular.

22. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

Allen Robinson happened. And also why the avg fan and media was so high on him. No one bothered to see that half of his throws were way off target and should have been intercepted, but Arob bailed him out with spectacular catches all year long. I thought he was vastly overrated his freshman year and it proved correct. Losing BO certainly didn't help his development.

Obv he has a monster arm and threw a nice deep ball, but that's not really what I care about in a QB. I'll take a brain and accuracy over arm strength every day.

23. The Goat

Fair enough. But remember that I’m not talking about him as a starter. Would you really argue for the merits of David Fales over him?

24. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

Sadly I might haha. Both would be horrid choices, but Hack doesnt have it between the ears. Thats not something that can really be taught. There are certainly slim pickins this year when it comes to backup QBs. We def need to draft a good one prob in round 2 this year.

25. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

I've lived in PA my whole life, became a Penn State fan around 1977/78.
    Hackenberg was the most overrated player ever. He was exasperating. I actually stopped watching Penn State games his last year there because he was so streaky and scattershot. Classic example of a team falling in love with arm strength and body measurables and thinking they could turn him into a real QB.
    I was glad to see him go.

26. The Goat

Funny, I feel the same way about Josh Allen.

Whee in PA? I'm in the Poconos.

27. The Goat

Never mind, I see it.

28. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

to me a good back up qb is just as good or has skilled to become better than thill17. if you go draft qb draft best one you can get. all 5 of them qb coming out is good. none of them are ready to be tom brady yet. i feel that with right coach and team they can be avg. i don't know what adam had again mat moore but to me he did his job as backup.

29. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

I think allen has chase to be good just stay away from getting drafted by browns. browns job is hard task for rookie or vet.

30. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

Ray R likes this.
  31. Marino1313

Marino1313 Scout Team

Rudolph round 2 please!

32. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

he would work too . if we can get him
    as long as he here to compete for starting job in near future. i don't want know player happy to be backup qb. I would not draft nobody lower than him

33. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I don't think so. If we'r hitching the wagon to Tannehill we may want to focus on surrounding him with as much as possible. I cringed at the news of extending Tannehill but hopefully I'm wrong and since they extended him they need to go all in.

34. AvogadrosNumber

AvogadrosNumber Active Member

I think Lamar Jackson would be a perfect fit for both sides. Gase gets an ultra talented Qb prospect that he can help groom behind Tannehill for a couple years. Then let the chips fall where they may as both Qbs get more tutelage.

There'd be no pressure for Jackson to start right away, he's local, a winner, young, and everyone would agree landing under Gase would be a great scenario for him. Plus you can't teach both his quick release and balance.

Ray R, Indigofire11 and DolfinJohnNY like this.
  35. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

I wouldn't mind this if he likes what he sees with him.

36. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

We also need a LB and a TE and they may be higher priorities. What we need is a good value QB to slide further than expected to a later round - ie the next Tom Brady.

37. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

I like Lamar don't know why he has so much negative press this year. He basically duplicated his heisman performance. This is a great idea but we would have to take him in the 2nd. And that means we miss out on a TE again. I think one of the top TE in the draft would be more impactful.

38. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You can’t go into the year expecting Tannehill to be injury free. There has got to be a backup plan pun intended. Whether that’s someone that isn’t Moore or is a rookie, it must be someone that can come in and keep things kosher if RT goes down.

39. jacquesstrap

jacquesstrap Well-Known Member

It is imperative for Gase's job security to draft Tannehill's replacement this year. Gase can ill afford to have Tannehill crap the bed after not playing for close to a year and a half and not have a viable replacement. This is a qb rich draft, and if you truly feel that Mayfield or whoever is the one, then do everything in your power to draft him. As the motto of the SAS says" those who dare, win!"

40. The Goat

Apparently Gase does as well. Never mind this.