Profootballtalk: Kyler Murray's About To Get The Hand-size Treatment | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profootballtalk: Kyler Murray's About To Get The Hand-size Treatment

Hand size for all ball handlers typically correlates with fumbles - but with QB's - can also affect the way the ball comes out of the hand. To me the ball has come out of Tannehill's hand wobbly or just not quite right many times. Particularly on his least favorite routes or throws towards the middle of the field, or when he's pressured.

Smaller hands do not necessarily affect literally every single throw. But it can affect throws where mechanics and compensatory movements are manipulated due to pressure, weather, or a number of other factors.

It doesn't determine whether or not you can actually play. It's just one of those things that dings your grade. All else being equal, you'd prefer the QB with bigger hands.

Hand size for all ball handlers typically correlates with fumbles - but with QB's - can also affect the way the ball comes out of the hand. To me the ball has come out of Tannehill's hand wobbly or just not quite right many times. Particularly on his least favorite routes or throws towards the middle of the field, or when he's pressured.

Smaller hands do not necessarily affect literally every single throw. But it can affect throws where mechanics and compensatory movements are manipulated due to pressure, weather, or a number of other factors.

It doesn't determine whether or not you can actually play. It's just one of those things that dings your grade. All else being equal, you'd prefer the QB with bigger hands.

This.

It's a positive.

That doesn't mean the reverse has to be a negative.

Scott McCloughan said on radio this morning that Kyler Murray was the best player in college football this year, period.

And meanwhile, Steve Keim just attached the qualifier, "Right now" to his stating that Josh Rosen is their quarterback. As in, "Josh Rosen is our quarterback, right now."

**** me. It was fun while it lasted.

Scott McCloughan said on radio this morning that Kyler Murray was the best player in college football this year, period.

And meanwhile, Steve Keim just attached the qualifier, "Right now" to his stating that Josh Rosen is their quarterback. As in, "Josh Rosen is our quarterback, right now."

Just heard that too. They can keep both on the roster this year and if Rosen starts and performs well this year they can recoup their initial investment and then some.

It would be foolish of Kingsbury to hitch his wagon to the previous regime's selected QB, especially when there's a QB available that he is rumored to love.

We can hold out slight hope that this is just an elaborate smoke screen to try and drive up the asking price for trading up; however, given the other circumstances...
tenor.gif

Looks like it's trade down and draft BPA, tank for a QB next year.

for our sake, maybe it'll be cold in the measuring room

I wonder if hand strength compensates some for hand size. Most elite baseball players have strong hands and I’ve seen Murray grip the ball in a way that suggests his hands are extremely strong.

I wouldn’t get worked up about what any GM or coach says regarding Murray. For most teams it’s in their best interest to try and push him up the board.

Nothing would really surprise me about the hands. I know they're not Russell Wilson's 10-inch mitts but they might be bigger than Baker Mayfield's 9.25 inch hands. And then again, the reports of sub-9 inches are believable based solely on his frame (5'10" with short arms, narrow shoulders, etc).

But to me it's all but irrelevant. I'm happy to view big hands as a positive. But I'm not going to ding a guy for smaller hands.

I think Arizona will draft him. Months ago, I thought they would be a great trade partner. Still might happen, but I wouldn't pick Rosen over Murray. I'm sure they've had those discussions already in Arizona. Good for them if they do. It doesn't matter that a QB was drafted last year. The position is too important.

And bravo to Steve Keim if they do select Kyler Murray.

One of the most absurd things GMs tend to do is stick with bad players because they're desperate to prove they were right. And one of the most annoying things that they do is put their name next to a mediocre QB taken with a mediocre draft pick and then feel some compulsion to not continue investing in the position.

Steve Keim just hired Kliff Kingsbury, who has had a relationship with Kyler Murray since High School, who thinks Kyler Murray should go #1 overall, and who runs an offense that would fit Murray maybe better than any other offense in the NFL.

To turn around and continue trying to make it work with Josh Rosen would be mind numbingly stupid.

Back
Top Bottom