Profootballtalk: Kyler Murray's Combine Interviews Draw Some Negative Reviews | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profootballtalk: Kyler Murray's Combine Interviews Draw Some Negative Reviews

Casserly has never been competent in any of his roles. He deserves all the criticism he gets.

It has nothing to do with whether Casserly is good at his job or whether he's been consistently wrong about this or that in the past. The criticism in the article was about how he doesn't have the proper credentials to relate how well or poorly Murray did in these interviews. If anything, it's a pure sports journalist that wouldn't know what he's talking about.

I mentioned in the combine thread it could have been that he got a promise from Arizona so he didnt take the rest of the process seriously (that happens a lot in basketball)

That’s just poor judgement on Murray’s part, then. You are interviewing for a job that is very rare and is hired through a process known for its unpredictability. If Murray was intentionally sandbagging for other teams because he thinks Arizona is a sure thing, then he is ignorant of, or lacks wisdom in regards to the draft process. Even if Arizona “committed” to him, there is no guarantee they will pick him. Any personal issue from now or prior to the draft could arise and take him out of consideration, a la Tunsil. Sometimes teams commit to a player right up until the day before the draft and pick someone else, much like Houston did when they promised Reggie Bush that he was their guy, then drafted Mario Williams instead. Murray should know this, as he himself committed to the Oakland A’s and then backed out for football.

The only way this isn’t damaging to Murray is if the story is untrue, but as of last evening, I was starting to hear reports confirming Casserly’s comments. As of right now, it certainly isn’t a good look, especially for a QB who’s measurables were already questionable.

I think these Combine interviews are so stupid. They only get 15 minutes. What can they learn in that span? What sort of thing are you going to learn in that span that will help you predict an insanely complex future with respect to an athlete's career and your team fit? Can you really measure the depth and breadth of the guy's football knowledge in minutes, in a way that is meaningful to the predictive outcome?

It's no wonder what ends up happening instead is an embarrassing clown show of guys asking players if they're gay, asking if their mother is a prostitute, asking if they have both testicles, just staring at them blankly for 10 minutes to see who loses the staring contest, or just straight up insulting and ripping the hell out of them.

I half wonder if these idiots are in on the joke, realizing that 15 minutes is not enough to do a damn thing, and so what they're REALLY doing is just amusing themselves in some Andy Kaufman-esque way.

I would go the complete opposite direction of football if I only had 15 minutes. Get all "google-interview" style on them and throw questions that are completely hypothetical and meant to inspect the inner workings of their character and thought process. Would be much more entertaining at least.

I find all the heavy criticism in bad taste - I think it's over the top and can understand why Murray would be put off by the process. This all washes away the second some team calls his name and I think the kid just wants to compete and ball out. The combine and draft process is more similar to a Dog Show and the journalists nitpicking over him "inflating his height", "chugging gallons of water", "choosing not to compete via throwing at the stupid combine"....it's all such bullshit.

That’s just poor judgement on Murray’s part, then. You are interviewing for a job that is very rare and is hired through a process known for its unpredictability. If Murray was intentionally sandbagging for other teams because he thinks Arizona is a sure thing, then he is ignorant of, or lacks wisdom in regards to the draft process. Even if Arizona “committed” to him, there is no guarantee they will pick him. Any personal issue from now or prior to the draft could arise and take him out of consideration, a la Tunsil. Sometimes teams commit to a player right up until the day before the draft and pick someone else, much like Houston did when they promised Reggie Bush that he was their guy, then drafted Mario Williams instead. Murray should know this, as he himself committed to the Oakland A’s and then backed out for football.

The only way this isn’t damaging to Murray is if the story is untrue, but as of last evening, I was starting to hear reports confirming Casserly’s comments. As of right now, it certainly isn’t a good look, especially for a QB who’s measurables were already questionable.

Everything I'm seeing is saying that Casserly is full of ****.

Everything I'm seeing is saying that Casserly is full of ****.

Probably so... Im as big a fan of Murray as anyone, but I don't think he's handled anything this offseason correctly, I think he's getting bad advice.

He should just of just played the game, ignored all the noise, be secure with who you are, no matter how tall or how heavy you are or aren't, just throw, run and be confident, the right evaluators won't care whether your 5'9 or 5'10, 195, or 205.

Be proud of who your are and what you accomplished, don't try to hide what you do best, I mean thats what the combine is for qbs, throwing and running..two things he does better than anyone.

People like Casserly always have their own agenda, certain agents, etc. He's not the only one.

He ends up hyping quarterback prospects like Blaine Gabbert despite the film telling you otherwise.

As far as the interviews go, I can't imagine how any interview by NFL organizations could ever be a good one. It's all nonsense. All of it.

I always hate to hear GM's talk about how much they value these interviews and place an irresponsible amount of importance on them. Chris Grier is one of the worst at this. It causes him to acquire poor players a lot of times. You'll hear it especially in press conferences by GM's after the draft is over when they're trying to sell the fanbase on the picks they just made - how sold they were on this kid after they interviewed him.

Interviews are subjective to a great degree. What one person considers a good interview another may consider a poor one and vice versa.

Probably so... Im as big a fan of Murray as anyone, but I don't think he's handled anything this offseason correctly, I think he's getting bad advice.

He should just of just played the game, ignored all the noise, be secure with who you are, no matter how tall or how heavy you are or aren't, just throw, run and be confident, the right evaluators won't care whether your 5'9 or 5'10, 195, or 205.

Be proud of who your are and what you accomplished, don't try to hide what you do best, I mean thats what the combine is for qbs, throwing and running..two things he does better than anyone.

He had nothing to gain, though. He's going to be the #1 pick. It's not like you get a gold star attached to the #1 pick for doing extra.

I agree with this too - however as J-Doll said, he really didn't have anything to gain. Personally, I would've liked to see him go out there and compete. But that's just my personal feelings on it. It's his decision and not mine.

The combine is really more about the medical evaluations for all these guys. That's the most important things that will come out of it. In the next few weeks you'll start hearing about failed drug tests, heart conditions, degenerative knees, necks, spines and eyeballs. And it'll cause players to drop on draft day more than any of the workouts will.

There's usually a grain of truth in this sort of thing, something that gave someone an excuse to run with a narrative or an agenda.

Kyler Murray is an introvert. And we've seen that he can come across nervous, quiet, and a bit weird in a situation where someone is trying to pry things out of him.

Based on what I've heard, I can see how that gave some agenda-driven people who have semi-valid concerns the excuse to run to Charley Casserly with something. And based on Charley's side business, I can see how Charley would swallow it whole, embellish it, and exaggerate it, which he's already admitted to doing on the Will Cain show. On that show, Casserly acknowledged on the show that he heard it from 3 people, that it was based on the 15 minute interviews, and that he extrapolated what he heard to make it seem like it came from more teams.

That said, Charley Casserly's report doesn't move the needle anywhere for me. At all. Because I don't buy these sorts of whispers unless I can be confident where it came from and confident there's not an agenda at work. With Casserly, there could be any number of them.

I agree with this too - however as J-Doll said, he really didn't have anything to gain. Personally, I would've liked to see him go out there and compete. But that's just my personal feelings on it. It's his decision and not mine.

The combine is really more about the medical evaluations for all these guys. That's the most important things that will come out of it. In the next few weeks you'll start hearing about failed drug tests, heart conditions, degenerative knees, necks, spines and eyeballs. And it'll cause players to drop on draft day more than any of the workouts will.
I understand, but in the same breath as J would say he had nothing to gain, Im saying he had nothing to lose.

Some strange responses to this here. I realize many here would love to see Miami move up to take Murray, but some of you are acting like Casserly beat you up and stole your lunch money. What is his great gain from lying, that no NFL GM will confide in him again so he can lose his job? I realize he prepares people for the combine, but is having your character maligned a likely way Casserly thought he would build his business? Doesn’t make sense to me. Exaggerating I can see, but straight lying seems a stretch.

As to the interview process and it’s validity, I wonder how many face of the franchise players had terrible interviews in the past? It seems odd to rule it out completely as a useful tool, and it seems equally odd to use it as the only tool for evaluating. There is no doubt Murray has amazing talent, but it seems a bit naive to believe that alone is enough at the highest level of the sport. Why so quick to completely dismiss a bad interview?

Some strange responses to this here. I realize many here would love to see Miami move up to take Murray, but some of you are acting like Casserly beat you up and stole your lunch money. What is his great gain from lying, that no NFL GM will confide in him again so he can lose his job? I realize he prepares people for the combine, but is having your character maligned a likely way Casserly thought he would build his business? Doesn’t make sense to me. Exaggerating I can see, but straight lying seems a stretch.

As to the interview process and it’s validity, I wonder how many face of the franchise players had terrible interviews in the past? It seems odd to rule it out completely as a useful tool, and it seems equally odd to use it as the only tool for evaluating. There is no doubt Murray has amazing talent, but it seems a bit naive to believe that alone is enough at the highest level of the sport. Why so quick to completely dismiss a bad interview?

Casserly is a professional shitbag. Either you know, or you don't. Apparently, you don't.

Back
Top Bottom