Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term

Those GIFs are reason why putting him deep middle will work, but why it may not be better for the defense.

There's nothing wrong with calling him a FS, and in sure he's going to dominate that spot, but he needs to be close to the LOS as much as possible
The way I see it, Minkah does so many things well that we should just call him a DB and be done with it. If they decide to move him at FS only, I wont have a problem although I do like him more at CB... I just flat out disagree with the notion that he's playing out of position when he's not lined up at FS... FS is actually the position that will require the biggest learning curve for him.

Why wouldnt that be the case in the NFL? Only around 30% of passes are throws beyond 10 yards in the NFL. Meanwhile, Minkah made a ton of plays around or even behind the LOS last season. There are absolutetly good arguments for wanting to put him at FS, but number of opportunities isnt one of them IMO...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The typical game the Alabama defense plays allows fewer passing plays than the typical NFL game. The typical number of long passes is lower as well. Often in the NFL the QB targets against a CB as much as his for own WR's. But the FS position takes away large swaths of plays, including most deep passes. The FS does not change most games at Alabama, because the rest of that Alabama defense is so strong that teams do not have enough time to throw deep very often. In the NFL, there are more deep passes and more scoring. The opportunity to a difference from the FS position is greater in the NFL than it would be playing at Alabama.

I'm sure we can find lots of clips of plays that are short and long passes in the NFL, that's not in question, either would fill this entire page. But if we look at the statistics, we will see a lower % of long passes against Alabama than in a typical NFL game. The difference is that closer to the line of scrimmage has a greater impact because that Alabama defense shuts down teams better than most NFL defenses do, and definitely more than the Dolphins defense.

In the NFL, there are more deep passes and more scoring.
Have anything to back that up? But it doesnt really matter anyway... Im not trying to draw a comparison between NCAA and the NFL, its more about what position makes more impact in the NFL between S and corner.

Only around 30% of pass attempts are beyond 10 yards in the NFL. You can see how teams value these positions by looking at how they spend their money.

valuechart.jpg
valuechart2.jpg

Have anything to back that up? But it doesnt really matter anyway... Im not trying to draw a comparison between NCAA and the NFL, its more about what position makes more impact in the NFL between S and corner.

Only around 30% of pass attempts are beyond 10 yards in the NFL. You can see how teams value these positions by looking at how they spend their money.

View attachment 15994
View attachment 15995
Well if we want to compare Slot CB's salaries with FS salaries that is the ultimate comparison. Teams pay the positions differently because they value the positions differently. The FS position is highly valued because it has a high impact. Much like how in general pass rushers are paid more than interior DL. Chunk plays generate a better chance to score, and many defenses are predicated on the presumption that it is very hard for an NFL offense to sustain long drives.

Looking at the statistics that translate to wins, turnover margin is a big one. That has two variables really, and the takeaway variable is a big deal. Good FS's generate turnovers, and they restrict the passing game to shorter routes generally. Either the team takes less deep shots, or it creates more turnovers … FS's have that effect. So when teams stop throwing deep very often, the defense can roll coverage up and play tighter on the short passes, meaning that those short routes are harder to complete and easier to pick off. It also means more defenders closer to the LOS to stop run plays. Essentially, a good FS can help roll the defense closer to the ball. Whereas a dynamite slot corner only clamps down on one player. Essentially, that's why I believe FS's have more of an impact than Slot CB's.

Teams without good FS's either give up a lot of explosive plays or they give more ground underneath. Either way, it's a bad situation for a defense. There aren't many players who have the skillset to play FS well, and I believe Fitzpatrick has that, and is the entire reason why I was excited about drafting him. Finding a slot corner can be done in the mid rounds. Can Fitzpatrick do that job? Yes. But it is hard to justify his draft spot if he plays that position.

I don't have problem w him playing fs at all. that his best position. dolphins are looking confused in 2019.

The FS position is highly valued because it has a high impact
Only the top 5 FSs are paid more than top 5 SSs... Once you include more sample size, SS actually get paid more on average.

Top 5 salaries:
  • FS: 12.2M
  • SS: 11.1M
  • CB: 15.4M
Top 10 salaries:

• FS: 9M
  • SS: 8.6M
  • CB: 14.5M
Top 15 salaries:

• FS: 7.2M
  • SS: 7.3M
  • CB: 13.5M
Average starter(top 30) salary:
  • FS: 4.3M
  • SS: 4.6M
  • CB: 10.9M

Have no idea how you can say his best position is free safety when he has never played a full season there and he was the best nb in the nfl his rookie season and in college he is a db like someone said in here. This coach is intelligent he will move him around I think Mink & this coach will work well together. Free safety consistently is waisting his talents

We could have had that last year by drafting Jessie Bates III in the second round, instead we drafted 2 tight ends because the one we drafted in the second cant block.

Huh? Let's deal with what is.

Why wouldnt that be the case in the NFL? Only around 30% of passes are throws beyond 10 yards in the NFL. Meanwhile, Minkah made a ton of plays around or even behind the LOS last season. There are absolutetly good arguments for wanting to put him at FS, but number of opportunities isnt one of them IMO...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You can start at free safety and still man the slot in packages

If anything it’s just another feather in his cap

What stands out in these gifs is his instincts and awareness when facing the action.

That translates to free safety

You can start at free safety and still man the slot in packages
This would be his ideal role on defense IMO. There's no need to pin him down to a single position exclusively. The player does alot of things well that can be used in different spots for different situations.

Only the top 5 FSs are paid more than top 5 SSs... Once you include more sample size, SS actually get paid more on average.

Top 5 salaries:
  • FS: 12.2M
  • SS: 11.1M
  • CB: 15.4M
Top 10 salaries:

• FS: 9M
  • SS: 8.6M
  • CB: 14.5M
Top 15 salaries:

• FS: 7.2M
  • SS: 7.3M
  • CB: 13.5M
Average starter(top 30) salary:
  • FS: 4.3M
  • SS: 4.6M
  • CB: 10.9M
The comparison is not between FS and SS. The comparison is between FS and Nickel CB's (or Slot CB's if you prefer). That is because Boundary CB's are more worthwhile than Nickel CB's and both FS and Boundary CB's are worth more than Nickel CB's.

Last edited:
The comparison is not between FS and SS. The comparison is between FS and Nickel CB's (or Slot CB's if you prefer). That is because Boundary CB's are more worthwhile than Nickel CB's and both FS and Boundary CB's are worth more than Nickel CB's.
Both over the cap and spotrac dont differenciate between CB and slot CB, to be honest, offenses run with 3+ WRs on more than 60% of their snaps these days so slot corner has become a more important position over the years.

This is not the perfect way to account for the lack of specific data, but if we include 3 CBs per team(top 90 NFL CBs), they average 5.1M/per, which is still more than your average starting FS...

At this point we'll just agree to disagree, I believe an NFL defense as alot of ways to use Minkah outside of the FS position...Thats pretty much my stance on it...

Both over the cap and spotrac dont differenciate between CB and slot CB, to be honest, offenses run with 3+ WRs on more than 60% of their snaps these days so slot corner has become a more important position over the years.

This is not the perfect way to account for the lack of specific data, but if we include 3 CBs per team(top 90 NFL CBs), they average 5.1M/per, which is still more than your average starting FS...

At this point we'll just agree to disagree, I believe an NFL defense as alot of ways to use Minkah outside of the FS position...Thats pretty much my stance on it...
My last statement is that when you look at the list of top CB's, how many of them are slot CB's? Of the top 10 CB's, I would argue that almost all if not all are boundary CB's, and any Slot CB's that sneak into your rankings are probably combo CB's/FS like Honeybadger. I can see your argument that Fitzgerald could be one of those type of players. I'm fine agreeing to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom