Projected Post-Draft Depth Chart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Projected Post-Draft Depth Chart

killswitch

engage
Reaction score
The following would be my ideal end of the offseason.

Transactions:
- sign WR David Boston
- trade Patrick Surtain to Chiefs for 2nd-round pick (#46 overall)
- trade #2 overall pick to Vikings for picks #7 and #18 overall (Vikings select Braylon Edwards)
- release DE David Bowens

Draft:
1 (7) - Shawne Merriman - LB/DE - Maryland
1 (18) - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC
2 (46) - JJ Arrington - RB - California
3 (70) - OJ Atogwe - S - Stanford
4 (104) - Lance Mitchell - ILB - Oklahoma
5 (138) - Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Harvard
7 (216) - Jimmy St. Louis - TE - Murray St.
UDAF - Claude Sanders - LB - Fresno St.
UDFA - Robby Valenzuela - DT - Oregon

DEPTH-CHART

QB: AJ Feeley........Gus Ferotte.........Sage Rosenfels

RB: JJ Arrington.......Lamar Gordon.......Sammy Morris (FB).......Travis Minor

FB: Heath Evans

WR: Chris Chambers.........Marty Booker.........David Boston...........Derrius Thompson...........Kendall Newson..........Wes Welker (KR/PR)

TE: Randy McMichael........Donald Lee..........Ed Perry (LS)

LT: Damion McIntosh.........Vernon Carey (OT/OG)
LG: Jeno James........Damion Cook
C: Seth McKinney.........Wade Smith
RG: Stockar McDougle (RT)........Rex Hadnot
RT: John St. Clair

DE: Vonnie Holliday.........Shaun Cody (4-3 DT/DE)

DT: Tim Bowens.......Larry Chester...........Dario Romero

DE: Kevin Carter (4-3 DT/DE)...........Jeff Zgonina (4-3 DT)

OLB: Junior Seau.........Shawne Merriman (4-3 DE/LB)
ILB: Zach Thomas.......Derrick Pope
ILB: Donnie Spragan (OLB)........Lance Mitchell
OLB: Jason Taylor (4-3 DE).......Eddie Moore........Brendon Ayanbadejo

CB: Sam Madison.......Reggie Howard
FS: Yeremiah Bell.........OJ Atogwe.......Travares Tillman (CB)
SS: Tebucky Jones........Tony Bua........Chris Akins
CB: Will Poole........Mario Edwards

K: Olindo Mare
P: Matt Turk

Practice Squad:
RB - Vick King
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
LB - Claude Sanders
TE - Jimmy St. Louis
WR - Maurice Mann
S - Quintin Williams
OL - Tony Pape
DT - Robby Valenzuela

IMO, this draft would give the Dolphins a much needed burst of youth that is needed on the defensive side of the ball. We'd be extremely deep everywhere IMO, and it would give us lots of options in terms of defensive packages, (4-3, 3-4) etc. (ideally, we'd have a Patriot-like D). For example, I have Shawne Merriman listed as a backup OLB on the depth chart, but in reality I would expect him to play a huge role (obviously much more than just a backup), lining up at DE, OLB, and maybe ILB in different packages. He'd provide youth at LB and would be a future cornerstone.

OJ Atogwe, one of the most underrated players in this draft IMO, would compete with Bell and Tillman for the starting FS job.

Some may think that drafting a D-lineman in Shuan Cody that high (1st round) is a waste. But I think we need youth on the DL. Plus, Cody would provide us with lots options as he can supposedly be a 4-3 DE or DT, as well as a 3-4 DE. With a guy like Cody (or Luis Castillo as my other top option), our D-line rotation would have everything needed IMO - youth, veteran experience and leadership, and lots of talent and depth.

All in all, this draft would prepare us immesnely for the future (a few years down the road), but a the same time it would give us great depth, and would significantly improve our team for this upcoming year. So it would be like we're rebuilding, but it'd still allow us to legitmately compete for this upcoming year....or at least that's my hope. And I think that's what Saban's hope is too. I believe he signed all the veterans sucah as Spragan, Holliday, Tebucky Jones, Kevin Carter to compete especially for this year. And I think he'll use the draft to build for our future. Put the two together, and I think we can have a very talented team both in the futere and right now.

killswitch said:

Transactions:
- sign WR David Boston
- trade #2 overall pick to Vikings for picks #7 and #18 overall (Vikings select Braylon Edwards)

Draft:

DEPTH-CHART

WR: Chris Chambers.........Marty Booker.........David Boston...........Derrius Thompson...........Kendall Newson..........Wes Welker (KR/PR)

Practice Squad:
RB - Vick King
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
LB - Claude Sanders
TE - Jimmy St. Louis
WR - Maurice Mann
S - Quintin Williams
OL - Tony Pape
DT - Robby Valenzuela

IMO, this draft would give the Dolphins a much needed burst of youth that is needed on the defensive side of the ball. We'd be extremely deep everywhere IMO, and it would give us lots of options in terms of defensive packages, (4-3, 3-4) etc. (ideally, we'd have a Patriot-like D). For example, I have Shawne Merriman listed as a backup OLB on the depth chart, but in reality I would expect him to play a huge role (obviously much more than just a backup), lining up at DE, OLB, and maybe ILB in different packages. He'd provide youth at LB and would be a future cornerstone.

OJ Atogwe, one of the most underrated players in this draft IMO, would compete with Bell and Tillman for the starting FS job.

Some may think that drafting a D-lineman in Shuan Cody that high (1st round) is a waste. But I think we need youth on the DL. Plus, Cody would provide us with lots options as he can supposedly be a 4-3 DE or DT, as well as a 3-4 DE. With a guy like Cody (or Luis Castillo as my other top option), our D-line rotation would have everything needed IMO - youth, veteran experience and leadership, and lots of talent and depth.

All in all, this draft would prepare us immesnely for the future (a few years down the road), but a the same time it would give us great depth, and would significantly improve our team for this upcoming year. So it would be like we're rebuilding, but it'd still allow us to legitmately compete for this upcoming year....or at least that's my hope. And I think that's what Saban's hope is too. I believe he signed all the veterans sucah as Spragan, Holliday, Tebucky Jones, Kevin Carter to compete especially for this year. And I think he'll use the draft to build for our future. Put the two together, and I think we can have a very talented team both in the futere and right now.

Mate, I just don't see why the Vikes would trade up when they have Troy Williamson as high as any WR on their board.

not bad but I would like to see us draft a WR with speed to challenge the slot recievers. By the way How did you get the name Killswitch? Does it have anything to do with the band Killswitch Engage?

I'd love it those transcations happened, but I have mixed feelings on predictions for the draft.

killswitch said:
draft and transactions

apparently, you have no idea how the practice squad works. If you put a player on the practice squad, they can be signed at any time by a team that wants to put the player on their active roster.

No way does Saban draft Fitzpatrick in the 5th and put him on the PS. He be signed by some other team in a second. That would basically be wasting a 5th rounder. Rosenfels is signed for 1 year at the minimum. His salary isnt guaranteed till opening day. Fitzpatrick would be the 3rd QB no doubt.

otherwise, I really dont agree with your draft, but its your opinion, so I can respect that.

and like Boomer said, Minnesota has Williamson as their top receiver.

If we were lucky enough to land Minnesota's two first rd picks for our #2, I dont see any chance of us using our two first round picks on the D-Line. We've already invested a lot on our D-Line through FA, not to mention we are already paying JT, TimBo, and Chester big money. I wouldnt consider it a wise decision to add two more defensive lineman with first rd contracts to one area of our defense. I understand Merriman can play both LB and DL, but if we were to draft an OLB with that pick, i'd be disappointed if we didnt pick up Derrick Johnson.

with that depth chart 4-12 is looking us in the eyes again.

killswitch said:

Transactions:
- sign WR David Boston

Draft:

DEPTH-CHART

Practice Squad:
RB - Vick King
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
LB - Claude Sanders
TE - Jimmy St. Louis
WR - Maurice Mann
S - Quintin Williams
OL - Tony Pape
DT - Robby Valenzuela

You make me laugh:roflmao:

i hate the merriman and cody picks.

I like them both as players... and would definitely not mind Merriman... but both, no thanks.

I think our first pick will be an offensive player.

Boomer said:
Mate, I just don't see why the Vikes would trade up when they have Troy Williamson as high as any WR on their board.

how do u know they have Williamson as high as any other WR?

Phinsfan1980 said:
not bad but I would like to see us draft a WR with speed to challenge the slot recievers. By the way How did you get the name Killswitch? Does it have anything to do with the band Killswitch Engage?

yeah, acutally it does. "Alive or Just Breathing" is my all time favorite album as it has been for the past 3 years. Ever since they got their new singer, Howard Jones, who replaced Jesse David Leach, I don't think they're as good. But, "Alive or Just Breathing" is amazing. Once it grows on u, you can't not like it.

Back
Top Bottom