Promising Draft Caps Off Strong Offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Promising Draft Caps Off Strong Offseason

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
You want a final verdict on the Dolphins' 2020 draft? It's far too early for that. Come back next year at this time and we'll certainly have a better idea.
But if first impressions matter, and they usually do, how can you not be impressed with what the Dolphins accomplished over the most important three days of the offseason. They found a quarterback. They continued to rebuild their offensive line. They added juice to their pass rush. They brought in a couple of important pieces in the secondary. They traded for a productive running back. Need I go on?
How can you not admire the work of General Manager Chris Grier and the carefully crafted plan that unfolded round after round, pick after pick. He was disciplined. He was creative. He was prudent. He maneuvered so well, first refusing to bow to the temptation of trading up early on to get his quarterback, though he did trade up a couple of times later to get other players he coveted. He traded down once in the first round to get an extra fourth round pick, gave up a fifth-round pick for 49ers' running back Matt Breida and then capped things off with some forward thinking, getting another piece in next year's draft, trading a seventh-round pick to the Seahawks for a sixth-round pick in 2021.

Cohen is a homer but I agree with his thinking

I was extremely pleased. You can see the vision and that's the most that I could say for this team since Parcells.

I wanted to take Tua and build a power rushing team. It looks to be where they're headed.

Whether we all agree on the draft or not I think we can all agree the future looks bright. Kamelion mentioned a power running attack. That is what I am most intrigued about with Tua in tow and NE influence at times NE ran more than people thought.
A lot of short passing game, power running game?

The F/O executed a flawless F/A plan. No one saw the Byron Jones signing coming. We all hoped for it, but didn't expect it. They found their type of players and on paper improves the overall defense. They also executed a fantastic smoke screen to cover their interest in Tua. No one could get a handle on what Miami's intentions were. This allowed Miami to hold at bay, both the New York Giants and San Diego Chargers. This enabled, Miami to sit and let Tua fall into their laps, without having to trade up.

From the looks of both Flores and Grier they seem satisfied with what they did during the draft. Many posters were unhappy and made their feelings known. But in the end, if these players perform and are able to contribute, all will be forgiven. Let's hope there is a season in 2020? Even if it's just a 10-12 game season. It'll give us all an opportunity again to cheer.

Only time will tell as to how things turn out. But at least on paper the Miami Dolphins look Impoved.

Whether we all agree on the draft or not I think we can all agree the future looks bright. Kamelion mentioned a power running attack. That is what I am most intrigued about with Tua in tow and NE influence at times NE ran more than people thought.
It's what would keep Tua upright and healthy while we bury teams.

I'm not a college player guru, as I don't follow college as closely as the NFL, so my opinion may not mean much.

I loved the positions drafted, as they were all positions of need. However, it seemed as though Jackson was a reach and is a player who hasnt reached his potential and there were proven lineman available at 18. If he reaches his potential, Ill eat my words. Some said the same about Davis and Hunt, and that we could have possibly landed Igbi with our 2.1 pick. I do believe that Flo gets the most out of his players, so there's that.

The draft always has the "should, woulda, coulda" scenarios. If these guys at least live up to their draft rounds, then we are loaded with talent......especially considering that half of draft picks arent in the league 3 years later.

I have to rate it as an "A-" all together. We got Tua. I repeat, we got TUA! In the first 2 rounds, we drafted 2 maulers for the OL, a run stuffer DT, and a press coverage CB. Would have liked to see one of the top 3 RB's though. I am a believer right now though. Fins up!!!

I think they got jumped a couple of times and after that didn't try to get too cute with picks vs. value
and just grabbed the players they had targeted -- even if it was "a few spots" before the ideal.

Still feel the draft went well for us but we didn't get any major breaks after the Tua selection until
R5. Grabbing the snappa was a tad curious but it was high value in terms of humor!

:lol:

Good point. A running game is the best weapon for a young quarterback. All of these lineman signed and drafted can move people. Miami needed that in the worst way.

I think they got jumped a couple of times and after that didn't try to get too cute with picks vs. value
and just grabbed the players they had targeted -- even if it was "a few spots" before the ideal.

Still feel the draft went well for us but we didn't get any major breaks after the Tua selection until
R5. Grabbing the snappa was a tad curious but it was high value in terms of humor!

:lol:
I thought the same thing. Probably moved the corner and Hunt up a bit.

I'm not a college player guru, as I don't follow college as closely as the NFL, so my opinion may not mean much.

I loved the positions drafted, as they were all positions of need. However, it seemed as though Jackson was a reach and is a player who hasnt reached his potential and there were proven lineman available at 18. If he reaches his potential, Ill eat my words. Some said the same about Davis and Hunt, and that we could have possibly landed Igbi with our 2.1 pick. I do believe that Flo gets the most out of his players, so there's that.

The draft always has the "should, woulda, coulda" scenarios. If these guys at least live up to their draft rounds, then we are loaded with talent......especially considering that half of draft picks arent in the league 3 years later.

I have to rate it as an "A-" all together. We got Tua. I repeat, we got TUA! In the first 2 rounds, we drafted 2 maulers for the OL, a run stuffer DT, and a press coverage CB. Would have liked to see one of the top 3 RB's though. I am a believer right now though. Fins up!!!
besides Tua, Jackson has the highest upside of any acquisition this offseason, And that’s the name of the game, you draft players that you project to reach a ceiling that you have determined and in this kids case at 20 years old, my goodness, he’s already a very good physical run blacker, and he’s almost a teenager, and with that character, man, you know there is a great chance he’s a hard worker, and when you combine great talent with hard work you end up with a great player.. it may take a bit at 20 but he has just as much ceiling as any of the top 4 that went ahead of him.

Free agency was great, a lot of steady vets that will allow time for the young guys to grow and develop while allowing us to be competitive. Draft was good too, a lot of high ceiling guys who could also go in the other direction as well. Given the amount of picks we were afforded the luxury to draft some of these guys.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. If Tua isn't ready this year, I want Rosen to play. This accomplishs 2 things. First, it allows Fitz to tutor Tua on the sidelines. Second, if Rosen does anything good, maybe we can trade him.

There was a time in New England's run when they were way too pas happy. They had some great teams that got beat in the playoffs and the SB (Giants twice). Bellicek got back to his roots and put in a power running game along with Brady. No coincidence, they had their second run of SBs wins when they did. Started off with Antoine Smith and Corey Dillon and finished off with White and Sony Michel. I'm sure I missing few others. Can't wait to see that with the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom