Proof we could be surprised | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Proof we could be surprised

Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe and Antonio Bryant at WR, Karlos Dansby at LB and Antrelle Rolle at Safety. Then draft either a NT or OLB with our 1st pick in the draft. I'd be one happy camper if we could pull this off!!!

2-3 seasons away from contending ? come on now if we would have had a true #1 wr and a cb that wasnt a rookie and maybe a LB that could play in pass covrage do you think the saints would have came back from 21 point down to come back and beat us ? i dont think so IMO those 3 players i just mentioned if we had as of now we would be real contenders imo i just dont think its going to take no 2-3 more years if we get busy in FA and the draft we could be real this year with the right 2-3 players. we are closer than you are expceting. imo you have got to gamble a little bit and spend a lil more cash for the right people that we need.imo if we play our cards right we will be true contenders this coming year SO PARCELLS GET OUT THERE AND GET THE PECIES WE NEED TO DO THIS :hi5::thanks:

I do not disagree with taking chances, but I think you are kidding yourself about being only 2-3 players away. Just like Mando's recent article, the best way to evaluate a team and its needs during the offseason is the way the FO describes it: must haves, needs, and wants. Here is my opinion (cringe ... similiar to Mando's ... cringe, again) on these categories.

Must Haves: NT, FS
Needs: OLB, ILB, WR
Wants: OG (right), WR2, TE, ILB2, OLB2, CB3, SS

We are at least 5 players away from consistent playoff contention. Please note almost all of them are defensive.

I do not disagree with taking chances, but I think you are kidding yourself about being only 2-3 players away. Just like Mando's recent article, the best way to evaluate a team and its needs during the offseason is the way the FO describes it: must haves, needs, and wants. Here is my opinion (cringe ... similiar to Mando's ... cringe, again) on these categories.

Must Haves: NT, FS
Needs: OLB, ILB, WR
Wants: OG (right), WR2, TE, ILB2, OLB2, CB3, SS

We are at least 5 players away from consistent playoff contention. Please note almost all of them are defensive.

Why do we need a CB3? Did people forget Will Allen ever existed?

I don't know if I would call the Pat White pick a surprise, I mean if you looked at it we didn't expect it, but really he was a wildcat QB who could hopefully do damage with his legs and his arm. With Henne it was known that the dolphins were targeting him before the draft. On the day of the draft it was widely known that we would take him if available in the 2nd round.

IMO the White pick was a shocker. It took guts to make that call because of the teams needs and where White was projected. Whether White succeeds or not has no relevance to the surprise level of that pick.

IMO the White pick was a shocker. It took guts to make that call because of the teams needs and where White was projected. Whether White succeeds or not has no relevance to the surprise level of that pick.

I guess being "shocked" is based on the individual person. While you felt that pick was a shock, I would say it wasn't. To each his own.

a suprise would be cutting 2or 3 of our wrs and a plesent supprise would be if we brought in both Boldin and draft dez then draft all defense .
I know this isnt fantasy football but i had bigger ambitions when wanny drafted eddie moore and Brian Kelly

The key to success is finding the right balance of draft and FA. That will make this team a contender in the years to come. We have too many holes to fill, to only fill them through the draft. We NEED to sign some FA that can play, those players might not be the big names that people consider huge splashe however.

I agree 100% but isn't this what the Parcells regime has been doing with the additions of
Smiley,Grove,Wilford,Wilson,Green,Akin,Ferguson,
Polite,Starks,Wake,Thigpen,Torbor,Murtha,McDaniel,Jones,Fasano
Berger,Anderson,and any others I have missed.

The true question should be when will players that we bring in become very good players or will they be released like some,
become injury cases like some,or become marginal players at best like some?

I guess being "shocked" is based on the individual person. While you felt that pick was a shock, I would say it wasn't. To each his own.

I guess it was such a surprise because IMO Pat White was drafted to fit the scheme of the Wildcat...which in itself is a trick scheme and non-conformal to the NFL. Parcells isn't know to be like this so that is why it surprised me.

All the talk about Parcells and Co not taking the risks some want them to take via draft or FA has got me thinking. Has the FO taken any risks in their past to show us they are willing to do it?

The one move I can think of, and probably the biggest, is the Pat White pick. That pick took guts. It was a pick that was way out of the predictable rhelm for our FO.

Don't forget about the Henne pick even though Miami had just invested in a second round QB the year before. Sticking with Ricky Williams was out of our FO's norm as well. Perhaps there are other examples. Granted there's not many but there are some to lead us to think that more could come.

So all the talk that Miami won't sign the key FA, or make a trade to get us that impact player, or draft the right player may be right to some extent...but don't discount the FO willing to pull the trigger if they can.

you should have added that the pat white was a wasted pick too :chuckle:

There is no point to bring in players while in their "prime" when you are two or three seasons away from being a true contender.

Good teams lose in the playoffs.

You can't put all your eggs in one basket and give an old team one or two season to win a superbowl before you need to rebuild again.

If anything I salute the FO for not being aggressive. In this media driven industry that thrives on the big signing. To sit back for two seasons and build through the draft is, in my opinion, more difficult than spending foolishly. (ie Redskins)

It might be one more season before we add the final pieces. I know that will enrage a lot of posters here but our core really isn't set yet on both sides of the ball. Our defense is a mess. Offensively we are more stable but there are so many questions at the play-maker positions.

By offensive core do you mean the o-line?

Because even though they might not be the best in the league they played great this season. I think that with some minor factors on offense (some sort of change at WR and Henne gaining experience) we can be solid.

As far as defense goes - that's a no brainer. We need help there.

Playmaker? The dolphins problem are not playmaking personnel, they're problem was that henne was not disciplined even though he was Ok at times, with another training camp he should be much better, playmakers was all that the dolphins had last season. They really need another kind of runningback or a wide receiver, who catches the ball over the middle of the field.

Boldin is injury prone, go get Brandon Marshall, he's younger and not as injured as much.

NT, ILB, are the pressing needs for this team, Gibril stunk it up last season because being new to the system, and then the defensive scheme that they were in were allowing the ball to thrown down the field, the dolphins had the 3rd most sacks in the NFL so pressure up front was not a problem most of the times.

i still say our most pressing need is someone who can cover a tight end

NT, ILB, are the pressing needs for this team, Gibril stunk it up last season because being new to the system, and then the defensive scheme that they were in were allowing the ball to thrown down the field, the dolphins had the 3rd most sacks in the NFL so pressure up front was not a problem most of the times.

Actually our sacks tended to come in bunches. For long long stretches there wouldn't be a peep out of our pass rush

Back
Top Bottom