Proof we could be surprised | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Proof we could be surprised

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
All the talk about Parcells and Co not taking the risks some want them to take via draft or FA has got me thinking. Has the FO taken any risks in their past to show us they are willing to do it?

The one move I can think of, and probably the biggest, is the Pat White pick. That pick took guts. It was a pick that was way out of the predictable rhelm for our FO.

Don't forget about the Henne pick even though Miami had just invested in a second round QB the year before. Sticking with Ricky Williams was out of our FO's norm as well. Perhaps there are other examples. Granted there's not many but there are some to lead us to think that more could come.

So all the talk that Miami won't sign the key FA, or make a trade to get us that impact player, or draft the right player may be right to some extent...but don't discount the FO willing to pull the trigger if they can.

They do have their usual moves, but I do agree that they can and may be unpredictable. I am hoping they surprise us this offseason.

the smart pick is Brandon graham

Something tells me they gave Henning one pick to get 'his guy' and he chose White.

It has proven to be a horrible pick, imo.

There is no point to bring in players while in their "prime" when you are two or three seasons away from being a true contender.

Good teams lose in the playoffs.

You can't put all your eggs in one basket and give an old team one or two season to win a superbowl before you need to rebuild again.

If anything I salute the FO for not being aggressive. In this media driven industry that thrives on the big signing. To sit back for two seasons and build through the draft is, in my opinion, more difficult than spending foolishly. (ie Redskins)

It might be one more season before we add the final pieces. I know that will enrage a lot of posters here but our core really isn't set yet on both sides of the ball. Our defense is a mess. Offensively we are more stable but there are so many questions at the play-maker positions.

There is no point to bring in players while in their "prime" when you are two or three seasons away from being a true contender.

You can't put all your eggs in one basket and give an old team one or two season to win a superbowl before you need to rebuild again.

If anything I salute the FO for not being aggressive. In this media driven industry that thrives on the big signing. To sit back for two seasons and build through the draft is, in my opinion, more difficult than spending foolishly. (ie Redskins)

It might be one more season before we add the final pieces. I know that will enrage a lot of posters here but our core really isn't set yet on both sides of the ball. Our defense is a mess. Offensively we are more stable but there are so many questions at the play-maker positions.

That is why it is all the more important for the FO to make a "splash" this off-season. It doesn't have to a huge splash, but they need to add quality guys that are in their mid-to late 20's. No 30+ year olds, but quality guys that can play another 5-7 years. If we wait to add every piece in the draft, we won't be contending for another 5 years anyway and by that time, we will be losing quality players in FA.

The key to success is finding the right balance of draft and FA. That will make this team a contender in the years to come. We have too many holes to fill, to only fill them through the draft. We NEED to sign some FA that can play, those players might not be the big names that people consider huge splashe however.

That is why it is all the more important for the FO to make a "splash" this off-season. It doesn't have to a huge splash, but they need to add quality guys that are in their mid-to late 20's. No 30+ year olds, but quality guys that can play another 5-7 years. If we wait to add every piece in the draft, we won't be contending for another 5 years anyway and by that time, we will be losing quality players in FA.

The key to success is finding the right balance of draft and FA. That will make this team a contender in the years to come. We have too many holes to fill, to only fill them through the draft. We NEED to sign some FA that can play, those players might not be the big names that people consider huge splashe however.

I agree.

I think with Free Agency you need a little luck on your side. The Saints, for example, were able to add two young players and built their team around them. (Brees and Vilma) Then they added the final pieces (Sharper and Shockey) But the majority of that team is through the draft.

But drafting works. The Steelers won the Superbowl with little FA help.

All the talk about Parcells and Co not taking the risks some want them to take via draft or FA has got me thinking. Has the FO taken any risks in their past to show us they are willing to do it?

The one move I can think of, and probably the biggest, is the Pat White pick. That pick took guts. It was a pick that was way out of the predictable rhelm for our FO.

Don't forget about the Henne pick even though Miami had just invested in a second round QB the year before. Sticking with Ricky Williams was out of our FO's norm as well. Perhaps there are other examples. Granted there's not many but there are some to lead us to think that more could come.

So all the talk that Miami won't sign the key FA, or make a trade to get us that impact player, or draft the right player may be right to some extent...but don't discount the FO willing to pull the trigger if they can.

I don't know if I would call the Pat White pick a surprise, I mean if you looked at it we didn't expect it, but really he was a wildcat QB who could hopefully do damage with his legs and his arm. With Henne it was known that the dolphins were targeting him before the draft. On the day of the draft it was widely known that we would take him if available in the 2nd round.

2-3 seasons away from contending ? come on now if we would have had a true #1 wr and a cb that wasnt a rookie and maybe a LB that could play in pass covrage do you think the saints would have came back from 21 point down to come back and beat us ? i dont think so IMO those 3 players i just mentioned if we had as of now we would be real contenders imo i just dont think its going to take no 2-3 more years if we get busy in FA and the draft we could be real this year with the right 2-3 players. we are closer than you are expceting. imo you have got to gamble a little bit and spend a lil more cash for the right people that we need.imo if we play our cards right we will be true contenders this coming year SO PARCELLS GET OUT THERE AND GET THE PECIES WE NEED TO DO THIS :hi5::thanks:

Being surprised is one thing.

Being pleasantly surprised is another.

I was surprised last draft all right. I was sure that the FO would not be stupid enough to waste a 2nd on Pat White when we had so many ghlaring weaknesses.

I was wrong.

I was so pissed I turned off the draft and watched "First Knight" with my wife.

What's next? Tebo?

Being surprised is one thing.

Being pleasantly surprised is another.

I was surprised last draft all right. I was sure that the FO would not be stupid enough to waste a 2nd on Pat White when we had so many ghlaring weaknesses.

I was wrong.

I was so pissed I turned off the draft and watched "First Knight" with my wife.

What's next? Tebo
:kill:

Back
Top Bottom