Proposed 2021 salary cap leaves the Dolphins in great shape | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Proposed 2021 salary cap leaves the Dolphins in great shape

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

For the Miami Dolphins, the $175M cap floor for 2021 positions the team nicely to continue their rebuild. Miami offers $18.6M in current salary cap for the 2020 season — that amount can be rolled over to the following season based on cap policies and boost the Dolphins’ already sufficient space when measured against the 2021 floor. OverTheCap.com projects the Dolphins to possess $28.8M in salary cap room for the 2021 season before any transactions take place — a figure that is 11th best in the NFL. This figure includes the Dolphins rolling over the $18.6M in current cap space for this season as well, so as far as raw numbers go, the Dolphins will have approximately $10M in cap room for the 2021 season if the team were to burn up the rest of their 2020 space — which they won’t.

I saw the pre-covid projections when the salary was thought to be $215 mil. Teams having only $175 mil puts 16 teams projected to be over the cap.

Seems that would mean some good players with large salary get released, the number of teams making offers for the better players will be less, and the offers will be less $ than the norm.

2021 definitely not a good year for a player to be a free agent and it wouldn't be surprising to see some of the better players signing a 1 or 2 year deal.

I saw the pre-covid projections when the salary was thought to be $215 mil. Teams having only $175 mil puts 16 teams projected to be over the cap.

Seems that would mean some good players with large salary get released, the number of teams making offers for the better players will be less, and the offers will be less $ than the norm.

2021 definitely not a good year for a player to be a free agent and it wouldn't be surprising to see some of the better players signing a 1 or 2 year deal.

Yeah, I have doubts the NFL will make a decision leaving half the teams under cap, particularly through no fault of their own. I expect that to be tweaked higher

If we could sign 1 or 2 positions this free agency for an elite player. What positions do you think those players would be?

For me it would be a pass rushing defensive end and/or a couple PROVEN offensive lineman.

Does the cap allow for that? I think it does. Which is why we should think about signing J. Clowney to a 12 mil a year contract this year. He would be a bargain if we could sign him at that clip.

175 mill is the lowest it could be, it will likely be higher.

It is still good that Miami will have cap space as some teams may well be forced to cut players they want to keep to get under the Cap.

This is why you don't want to blow your cap space on a Clowney type move this year.Next year they may well look like a burgeoning playoff team who players will want to join.

The Fins have a few guys they will have to make decision on, Baker(he has another year but I think it is make or break time for him), Goldchaux, Breida and McMillan .They will also have extra Draft picks to budget for, but we might see them package some of them for a move up to target a specific impact type.

I would like to extend Goldchaux for reasonable $ and we will wait and see on Breida. If he plays well enough to keep he should not be too hard to re sign since the RB FA market will be loaded, even with Derrick Henry signing.

I really like where their cap is at right now, even with all the FA spending this year most of those deals are 2-3 years and hopefully the team will have better roster depth by that time so they can let some of the more expensive guys walk.

If we could sign 1 or 2 positions this free agency for an elite player. What positions do you think those players would be?

For me it would be a pass rushing defensive end and/or a couple PROVEN offensive lineman.

Does the cap allow for that? I think it does. Which is why we should think about signing J. Clowney to a 12 mil a year contract this year. He would be a bargain if we could sign him at that clip.

The problem is there are NEVER Elite pass rushers available in FA, the same with a really outstanding OT.

The Fins are going to have to find those guys in the Draft.

Yeah, I have doubts the NFL will make a decision leaving half the teams under cap, particularly through no fault of their own. I expect that to be tweaked higher

Or amortized over a few years. I doesnt seem like the players association would be on board with cutting players for the sole reason that the team was over the cap for something beyond thier control.

The problem is there are NEVER Elite pass rushers available in FA, the same with a really outstanding OT.

The Fins are going to have to find those guys in the Draft.

A 1st round pick position of need next year IMO depending of course on how our free agents Lawson and Ogbah work out

I’d fully expect us to go OL or LB at 1 next year. Just a gut

OT might still be a big need and I LOVE Micah Parsons.

They might have to settle for Dylan Moses because Parsons will go Top 5-7 area.

But it is too early to tell what the 1st Round is going to look like.

Half the guys who are being considered 1st rounders right now will fall out and be replaced by guys who move up.

Assuming they manage to play some college football.

Cap FLOOR.

If there is a football season, the NFL will have the highest TV ratings in its history. It would not surprise me to see a considerably higher cap ceiling.

Cap FLOOR.

If there is a football season, the NFL will have the highest TV ratings in its history. It would not surprise me to see a considerably higher cap ceiling.

It doesn't really matter what the ratings are with the TV contracts already signed and paid for. They're going to lose a lot of revenue. I think its more a question if they can get some sort of deal with the union to prevent any large drop in the cap number. Like we saw with the NBA there is no real winner in the drop or the subsequent spike. Better to artificially level it out.

To think there were fans who dispelled the rumor of a salary cap reduction in 2021, due to Covid 19 related economic issues. Miami is very lucky they cut cost 2 yrs ago. Its allowed them to be one of the few teams that will operate with a cap surplus.

Not sure how all this cap stuff shakes out moving forward, but am grateful Miami is in a decent spot. Imagine if they were one of the teams who would be left with an enormous amount of cap overages, needing to cut players. F/A like Clowney, Logan and others looking for big pay days are sucking wind right now. It may take a few years before the NFL cap returns to a more generous amount.

Back
Top Bottom