Props On The Win | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Props On The Win

The last throw isn't what I'd be ragging about.

It was a great effort.

Sure, he should have hit Clay, but it was a decent throw.

The 18 of 33 (54.5 completion percentage) with 2 TD and 2 INT was about par for his course, which is always going to be the problem with him.

Despite running all over us, converting first down after first down. Despite no pass rush on our part. He's a 50 to 55% QB.
I want to point out that the lack of pass rush had something to do with Allen himself - I saw all our DE's (even Quinn and Wake who live off the speed rush) purposely straight-up bull rushing and staying their lanes because they did not want Allen busting the gaps. Which he did anyhow.

I did see an interesting article about Allen though, which not only talked about accuracy but trajectory as well - and how guys with a cannon often don't learn that trajectory is a huge part of making completions (and avoiding INT's) in the NFL. Kaepernick had the same athletic talent as Allen, and was afflicted with the same arm issues too (i.e. lack of finesse). Vick was kind of similar too. Will be interesting to see if Allen ends up like them (hopefully sans off-field issues), or where his ceiling ends up...

I want to point out that the lack of pass rush had something to do with Allen himself - I saw all our DE's (even Quinn and Wake who live off the speed rush) purposely straight-up bull rushing and staying their lanes because they did not want Allen busting the gaps. Which he did anyhow.

I did see an interesting article about Allen though, which not only talked about accuracy but trajectory as well - and how guys with a cannon often don't learn that trajectory is a huge part of making completions (and avoiding INT's) in the NFL. Kaepernick had the same athletic talent as Allen, and was afflicted with the same arm issues too (i.e. lack of finesse). Vick was kind of similar too. Will be interesting to see if Allen ends up like them (hopefully sans off-field issues), or where his ceiling ends up...
Good point.

No doubt all of our guys had to be cognizant of his propensity to scramble.

But I've been very disappointed in our pass rush in general this season.

Allen's accuracy can improve marginally if he learns how to put more touch on the ball period. There were multiple examples yesterday and there have been frequent examples since I first saw him a few years ago. He relaxed at the combine and displayed wonderful touch but per norm it doesn't play out that way in actual games.

Dolphin fans have been conveniently ignoring the play with Xavien Howard beaten by 4 or 5 steps on a deep ball. That was a rightful touchdown if Allen simply put more air under the ball.

Bottom line, Allen needs to maximize his "good" possessions, like Tannehill did yesterday. Touchdowns, not field goals or frustrating stops in positive territory. Given the accuracy issues there simply will be fewer opportunities for Allen, similar to the NFL game with less possessions than in college. Allen is not going to convert those 3rd and 5 plays to begin a drive as dependably as other NFL quarterbacks.

In college football the lack of accuracy is not as critical because you have more possessions and the talent gap from program to program is wider. That's why many analysts try to kid themselves into believing completion percentage in college doesn't matter. They fail to fully recognize the situational variance, that once the quarterback is in the NFL he's dealing with several fewer possessions, and into tighter windows, and so forth.

Also, Josh Allen desperately needs better helpers. Notice the complete lack of that theme in this thread. It is not surprising at all. This forum is loaded with posters who want perfect receivers and perfect line play and perfect coaching for Ryan Tannehill, but like to pretend every other quarterback already owns that trifecta. From what I saw yesterday, Kelvin Benjamin doesn't belong in the league right now. He looked worse than Devonte Parker has ever looked. None of the Bills receivers were exactly scary, although Zay Jones has rebounded nicely from a shockingly poor rookie season.

McCoy is over the hill, although still dangerous in spots. Charles Clay has regressed. He never was the prototype tight end anyway. Dolphins don't draft prototype tight ends. But Clay has lost the nifty H-back type burst and agility he once owned.

I guarantee the Bills offensive line is ridiculed on Buffalo forums. That is a given around the league, even if Dolphin fans don't want to acknowledge that.

Your coach and whoever is guiding him from the booth make some bizarre choices with the red flag. It isn't fatal in the first half but that attempt yesterday on the Tannehill sack may have been the worst I have ever seen. I was surprised there was any delay at all from the official, that Hoculi son. In a proper world there would have been no hesitation at all, as in, "Buffalo is challenging the ruling that the ball was outside the goal line. The call is confirmed. Buffalo is charged with its first time out."

I enjoy reading your posts and you may well be right. Accuracy is normally a huge red flag and may be here as well. I guess it almost seems to me the whole Bills offense felt disjointed to me, like there was no plan with where to go with the ball and every successful play had everything to do with him making it happen (although he did miss some for sure). I may be wrong, but it seems like if he spent a few years doing what he was told in terms in terms of timing, ball placement, etc. instead of ad libbing, he may end up very successful in the long run. Pretty much how Tannehill is treated now lol.

I honestly hated that the Bills picked up Allen. Was either hoping he fell to the Phins to sit behind Tannehill for a year or drafted out of the AFCE.

I wanted nothing to do with him twice a year, kids elusive, has a cannon for an arm and is a gamer. You guys should be happy to have him.

He is how Tannehill should’ve been as far as the mobility in and out of the pocket goes.

Last edited:
I hope is inconsistent accuracy can get fixed. That Zay Jone missed TD is a perfect example.

But man it is nice watching him throw 60 plus yards and just miss a Foster by about a foot. And I didnt know he was as athletic as he is. Amazing watching a QB out run angles.

He made Kiko Alonso look like a joke multiple times. Stiff armed, ran over, ran around and even juked in the open field. Not trading up for Allen might haunt this franchise for years if he corrects his accuracy issues

Why bother to continue being a fan if you want them to lose...that's asinine because guess what, even if they go 7-9 this year the only thing that MIGHT change is Burke getting the ax....Gase and RT are both here next year...we might only get into that 11-15 draft range and then what? To read fans like you on this board next year complaining about the same stuff

I explained why in the first page of this thread.

Allen definitely has not reached his ceiling. He will be good when he learns some touch and has better command of the offense.

I sat in Bronco Stadium last year and watched Allen and Wyoming lay an egg vs Boise State. He was well under 50% completion and had a 1 to 2-TD/INT. I'm not so sure you can fix accuracy issues. Still, he has a gun for an arm and he makes plays running, but he's not turning into Brees or Rodgers anytime soon with his accuracy.

I sat in Bronco Stadium last year and watched Allen and Wyoming lay an egg vs Boise State. He was well under 50% completion and had a 1 to 2-TD/INT. I'm not so sure you can fix accuracy issues. Still, he has a gun for an arm and he makes plays running, but he's not turning into Brees or Rodgers anytime soon with his accuracy.
Turn into Big Ben and i can live with that.

This game was a microchasm of Allen this year. Beautiful touch pass to DiMarco in stride. Then the behind throw to Zay in endzone. He shows flashes of accuracy and then has those bad misses. Increase those flashes and limit those bad misses and I am happy. And get some weapons for him. Zay can stay and Robert Foster the rest of those weapons can go. But feeling happy right now. Next season though is going to tell me alot.

Last edited:
Josh Allen will never be a very good QB in this league and is exactly the type of QB that fizzles out or gets hurt. He is inaccurate and will always be inaccurate. Athletes playing the QB position who can't pass the ball consistently do not win a lot of games in this league, especially against good teams. He is a 53% passer with 5 TDs and 7 ints and lost to a team decimated by injury on Sunday. I am so glad he did not fall to a point where we ended up taking him! Sure, he has some wheels but we see what eventually happens to QBs that run that much!

Props to the poster. I'm not going to big up the win because myself, like most fans know we stole that one. This season is turning into one of those over achieving (did i really even type the words "achieved" ?!? ) seasons where the team (once again) do not make the playoffs and lose out in the draft picks. Sad that draft picks are even mentioned at this juncture but I'm a sucker for being a realist. I'm at the stage in life where I just basically look forward to the Patriots game to see if we can get a win against Brady...sorry I meant... Brady and the other players around him.

Back
Top Bottom