Props To Burke | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Props To Burke

Burkes idea of how a defense should be judged (keeping teams out of the end zone but allowing them to get down the field, maximize turnovers) is very sound and forward thinking.

His issue is the reliance on the wide 9 scheme because he has coached and used it his whole career. Shut down defense is not a thing anymore and Burke has for sure understood that. But he has been unable too get those results because of that awful scheme. A lot of the issues (lack of pass rush, communication break downs, poor LB play and players playing the wrong position) ate due to hos inexperience and ignorance. Guy just isn't cut out as a DC. We need to move on

When I die I want Matt Burke to lower me into my grave so he can let me down one more time.

Last edited:
We gave up 33pts. and you are giving praise to Burke? I've got some swamp land on the market, are you interested?:shrug:
33 points....and four points the Patriots lost on kicks....and another 3 due Brady not getting rid of the ball at the end of the first half. It was basically a 40 point defensive performance that the Patriots helped us out on. Honestly, I think if BB had completely abandoned the running game the last play would have been irrelevant.

Matt Burke was really bad yesterday, I mean really bad. Tom Brady had a couple of brain farts / flat out missed throws and we got pressure in a couple of key situations.

I am not giving Matt Burke props for anything. I think he may have coached his absolute worst game of the season yesterday, and only a total choke job by the Patriots got the team out of that game alive.

I think the best chance the Dolphins have of making the playoffs is for Matt Burke to be fired right now. I bet you there are guys on that staff right now who can figure out that Kiko shouldn't be covering Edelman 1on1 on 3rd and 8. Or that Gronk shouldn't get a free release off the line on every passing down.

All hyperbole aside, and I say this with 100% complete sincerity: I bet that most fans on this site could come up with better 3rd & Long packages and coverage calls than Matt Burke does on a weekly basis. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. He actually does deserve the Olivadotti comparisons now.

Completely agree!

Said it earlier in the thread. The guy is taking way too much heat. Fin fans love a fall guy and Burke is clearly that guy in 2018.

I just need to see what others see in regards to the talent on defense, injuries and having to play guys out of position that leads them to believe a single coaching change would get markedly better results with this group.

33 points....and four points the Patriots lost on kicks....and another 3 due Brady not getting rid of the ball at the end of the first half. It was basically a 40 point defensive performance that the Patriots helped us out on. Honestly, I think if BB had completely abandoned the running game the last play would have been irrelevant.

I get your point, but you realize 32 teams every week can 'if only' themselves to a win. If player X hadn't been flagged for holding. If player y hadn't dropped the pass. Basically, every team can manage 10+ points a game. The final analysis is the Pats DIDN'T score more points due to their fault. That's the game. It's the opponents job to take advantage of those mistakes. Miami did.

Said it earlier in the thread. The guy is taking way too much heat. Fin fans love a fall guy and Burke is clearly that guy in 2018.

I just need to see what others see in regards to the talent on defense, injuries and having to play guys out of position that leads them to believe a single coaching change would get markedly better results with this group.

The team clearly has other problems. Here are some major problems the Dolphins have right now:

1. Starting quarterback is injured.
2. Adam Gase with some terrible situational playcalling/decision making in the 4th quarter.
3. Crap OL play
4. Injuries at WR/TE
5. Very limited LB play
6. Only one good boundary corner, and he just missed a game

However, you can still look at all of that and see that there is one huge and obvious problem that anyone with a brain can figure out: The Miami Dolphins should not have Kiko Alonso on the field in man coverage on 3rd and long. Every single week he is being picked on and EVERY SINGLE WEEK Matt Burke can't figure out that he needs to change that personnel package to stop putting Kiko in that spot. EVERY week.

I'm sorry, that's gross incompetence, Kdawg.

Haha bro u are cutthroat when it comes to Burke.

My bad, just saw this post. I'm sorry, dude, it's just the truth. This guy is not cut out for the job and we need to dump him ASAP. Just look at our third and long pass defense. Come on, do you really think that's acceptable? It's beyond the point of absurdity.

If not fire him, then Gase must truly be the head coach and begin giving instruction on what he wants on 3rd down defense. Because surely even if Gase is laser focused on fixing the offense, he can see that ****.

Tom Brady carved us up like Thanksgiving turkey. We're all happy about the victory and we all agree that the team showed guts and heart and that the offense is finally showing real improvement, but:

1. Tom Brady plays a mostly BRILLIANT football game, but misses at least two wide open throws for big gains / touchdowns.
2. Tom Brady forgets he doesn't have a timeout and sits down to take a sack at the end of the half.
3. The Patriots miss a field goal and an extra point.
4. The Patriots keep running the football even though their running game is completely ineffective.
5. Belichick's extremely questionable management at the end of the game.

If they had just let Brady keep smoking us in the second half they would have easily won the game. If Gostkowski doesn't miss a field goal, they win the game. If Brady doesn't have 2-3 critical brain farts (despite playing a brilliant game), they win the game.

I'm sorry, but coach Gase is right that you have to separate the results from the process. And in this case, the process is very flawed. The Dolphins' pass defense is lousy when it can't produce turnovers, and the Dolphins' third and long defense is honestly as bad as any I can ever remember.

Something has to be done immediately. If you don't fire Burke, fine. But give him direction. Step in and fix the glaring issue. Put another defensive back on the damn field on 3rd and 10. This team is 7-6 and still has a very legitimate shot at the playoffs. If not now, then when?

Last edited:
With the exception of a shaky DL, I think you'd see the talent we have on this defense right now REALLY standing out if it wasn't for the scheming. I think the defensive coaching and strategies puts these guys in horrible situations - play after play. I have no qualms with personnel, other than some injuries and disappointments on the DL. The 2 LB's are young and getting better - they will get there. Alonzo, when put in a position to succeed, is having a pro-bowl season (almost). It's that we are never in the right place at the right time. Too many wide open receivers and TE's - too many plays that work very well against us simply because the other team knows for a FACT it will work before the play - due to our scheme.

With the exception of a shaky DL, I think you'd see the talent we have on this defense right now REALLY standing out if it wasn't for the scheming. I think the defensive coaching and strategies puts these guys in horrible situations - play after play. I have no qualms with personnel, other than some injuries and disappointments on the DL. The 2 LB's are young and getting better - they will get there. Alonzo, when put in a position to succeed, is having a pro-bowl season (almost). It's that we are never in the right place at the right time. Too many wide open receivers and TE's - too many plays that work very well against us simply because the other team knows for a FACT it will work before the play - due to our scheme.

Not a DE on the team who can set the edge

Sorry I just can’t do it. I can’t give props to Burke for anything. He’s been the one main constant in this teams losses. Hell even the wins his Defensive scheme gets gashed.

Sorry I just can’t do it. I can’t give props to Burke for anything. He’s been the one main constant in this teams losses. Hell even the wins his Defensive scheme gets gashed.

To be fair, the defense played very well against the Bengals and in the second game against the Jets. Burke deserves credit for those two games, as his defense certainly did a good enough job to win both of those games. In the Jets game, we did win it despite a dreadful offensive performance, and the Bengals game, well, what a nightmare.

Of course, you don't get to go up against a rookie quarterback or Bill Lazor every week, but I'll still give him some credit for beating up on Darnold and Captain Shallow Cross.

To be fair, the defense played very well against the Bengals and in the second game against the Jets. Burke deserves credit for those two games, as his defense certainly did a good enough job to win both of those games. In the Jets game, we did win it despite a dreadful offensive performance, and the Bengals game, well, what a nightmare.

Of course, you don't get to go up against a rookie quarterback or Bill Lazor every week, but I'll still give him some credit for beating up on Darnold and Captain Shallow Cross.
Still can’t do it. I can give him credit for having his defense in the top of the league for takeaways, other than that I just can’t do it.

Not a DE on the team who can set the edge

I agree - but would state it more like - not a DE on the team who is held accountable for not setting the edge. Surely these guys are good enough to do it. Just seems like the coaching staff is fine with continually taking the big banana route to the QB and watching him step up and murder us with his feet or arm.

JJ used to say "it ain't about X's and O's, it's about Jimmy's and Joe's...

Back
Top Bottom