Proved Veteran or we a Draft QB | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Proved Veteran or we a Draft QB

I know we’re all entitled to have our own opinions and all. However, fans wanting to give Tua more weapons, is just crazy to me. Because we won’t have another 3rd overall pick. Tua really looked like a back up QB. He couldn’t play well with the bills back up defence. He hasn’t shown me anything. We need an upgrade and Wilson or Lawrence would be ideal

Said earlier, yes, I remember Rosen/Murray, BUT look at the teams, every year, who have bottom third QBs. How many even try to upgrade through the draft? Sometimes, they stick with the guy they have and get more pieces. Percentage-wise, how many give up on a QB year 1 and invest in a day 1 QB? TT showed flashes. Showed promise. Miami will NOT draft a day 1 QB, not because he's a future HOFr, but because the team has bigger needs

We don't have too much wood to clear, as we stand w a low salary cap of $175M we have like $26M. I would have no problem spending $10M on a veteran QB with starting potential.

Miami needs $8-10mm for rookies (guessing), will retain $10mm in Sept., and have a few FAs they'll try to sign. I don't see any big contracts, even if some contracts are restructured.

First question to resolve is whether Fitz wants to keep playing and is prepared come back as a backup QB. I think that his love is actually playing the game and while he can play the role of the backup to help Tua and come in when needed, he really needs to decide what he wants to do next season. Bear in mind that after 16 NFL seasons he has earned $71,541,098 and as a Harvard Economics graduate you can bet that much of that has been well invested. So he's not the typical old vet just trying to squeeze out the final extra bucks. He also has a wife and 7 kids living in Tampa for much of the past 2 seasons without him. Methinks Mrs Fitz may have a say in the matter.
I'd welcome him back but if he's not coming back, then I would seriously look at Marcus Mariota or Andy Dalton as potential viable backup options. Both are high character guys who have a lot of NFL experience and the Hawaiian - Samoan heritage connection between Tua and Mariota is a helluva lot better than considering an intimidating narcissist like Cam Newton or Carson Wentz who has earned the reputation of being a total prick. I would not invest a high Draft pick in a QB. At this stage we are still rolling with Tua and we need to invest in weapons to give him every chance to succeed. If, ultimately Tua does not succeed, we move on. However, let's see what he can do with some decent Offensive talent around him.

Last edited:
Why would they? They're not looking for rational discussion. They need the ammo to use for their year long "TUA SUCKS" rhetoric no matter how little it makes sense.
I mean hell, there’s a post in here blaming Tua for all those dropped passes, and the receivers just magically “play better” with fitz

Said earlier, yes, I remember Rosen/Murray, BUT look at the teams, every year, who have bottom third QBs. How many even try to upgrade through the draft? Sometimes, they stick with the guy they have and get more pieces. Percentage-wise, how many give up on a QB year 1 and invest in a day 1 QB? TT showed flashes. Showed promise. Miami will NOT draft a day 1 QB, not because he's a future HOFr, but because the team has bigger needs

Bottom QBs:

Andy Dalton (Cowboys have a top 5 QB, Dak, but he is injured)
Tua Tagovailoa (Top 5 pick)
Cam Newton (I bet Pats will try to upgrade, they already tried with some late rounds choices and it was a disaster.)
Carson Wentz (Eagles drafted Hurts, and a few years back a guy from NCST, they are tryong to move on.)
Drew Lock (Still on rookie contract, next season is do or die, Denver tried to upgrade through draft as well by drafting Drew Lock.)
Jimmy Garoppolo (SF has not tried to upgrade through draft, but we will see what happens now.)
Nick Foles (He is a back up, but both his previous team tried to upgrade through draft --Wentz, Minshew, Trubisky)
Nick Mullens (see Garropolo)
Daniel Jones (Well, he was a top 6 pick. I think the honeymoon is over)
Dwayne Haskins (Top 15 pick, released in year 2)
Sam Darnold (Top 3 pick, Jets have #2 overall pick.)

Bottom QBs:

Andy Dalton (Cowboys have a top 5 QB, Dak, but he is injured)
Tua Tagovailoa (Top 5 pick)
Cam Newton (I bet Pats will try to upgrade, they already tried with some late rounds choices and it was a disaster.)
Carson Wentz (Eagles drafted Hurts, and a few years back a guy from NCST, they are tryong to move on.)
Drew Lock (Still on rookie contract, next season is do or die, Denver tried to upgrade through draft as well by drafting Drew Lock.)
Jimmy Garoppolo (SF has not tried to upgrade through draft, but we will see what happens now.)
Nick Foles (He is a back up, but both his previous team tried to upgrade through draft --Wentz, Minshew, Trubisky)
Nick Mullens (see Garropolo)
Daniel Jones (Well, he was a top 6 pick. I think the honeymoon is over)
Dwayne Haskins (Top 15 pick, released in year 2)
Sam Darnold (Top 3 pick, Jets have #2 overall pick.)
Mark Sanchez was an elite qb

:lol:

Dont draft a QB. Bring in Mariota and let him compete with Tua. Mariota could be like Tannehill if given a second chance. Right now they cannot give the job to Tua after a year of playing poorly.
They have to draft Smith with the #1 pick. This is a league of offense and Smith gives them a Tyreke Hill type guy. No brainer.

Mark Sanchez was an elite qb

:lol:

Mark Sanchez, on rookie contract, took the team to two AFCCG beating P Manning and Brady.
You'd trade 2 firsts and 2 seconds and Tannehill and Tua for that.
This GM cannot find that kind of QB.

Dont draft a QB. Bring in Mariota and let him compete with Tua. Mariota could be like Tannehill if given a second chance. Right now they cannot give the job to Tua after a year of playing poorly.
They have to draft Smith with the #1 pick. This is a league of offense and Smith gives them a Tyreke Hill type guy. No brainer.
I think Mariota is actually a decent option for a back up for us

could maybe continue to mentor Tua, not as a journeyman qb like Fitz, but a qb had been through some adversity also and a Tua looked up to him at Oregon

Back
Top Bottom