QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Much like I did with QB Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, I wanted to delve into another QB prospect that could very well be an issue for the Miami Dolphins in the upcoming Draft.

Again I will start by telling you about where I have him, in case you don't want to bother reading down. Based on close scrutiny of the player, I believe him to be either the #2 or #3 QB in the Draft, behind Andrew Luck, and in the neighborhood of Cam Newton. I've yet to decide whether Newton goes above or below him.

As Simon recently pointed out to me, some scouts have been telling Tony Pauline that Gabbert is their #2 quarterback in the Draft. So again, I emphasize, this is a guy we need to start talking about.

Background: His background checks out as well as you could ask. He was one of the most sought-after quarterback prospects in the nation coming out of High School, a five-star guy, the #1 player in the state of Missouri. He chose Missouri over the likes of Nebraska, Oregon, Tennessee, Alabama, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State and Minnesota. He chose Missouri for obvious reasons (close to home) and then volunteered to help with Missouri's recruiting efforts. He was also an All Conference baseball player.

Surrounding Cast & Offense: The Missouri offense has some tradition at the Tight End position where Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman have starred in the past. Michael Egnew has legitimately carved out his place succeeding them. Though this is very much a spread option style offense, it is not one that has prevented the development of NFL players. Martin Rucker bounced around the league a little despite athleticism that was unimpressive at the next level, and Chase Coffman still bounces around a bit despite being entirely one-dimensional. Jeremy Maclin is a starter in Philadelphia and Danario Alexander has become a pretty successful rookie NFL player. Chase Daniel persists as a backup QB in the NFL. With Danario gone, I would say the overall talent in the offense has gone down quite a bit. Alexander had something ridiculous like 1800 yards and 14 TDs in 2009 with Gabbert throwing to him. Without his services, Gabbert turned to true sophomore T.J. Moe, as well as Egnew, and Gabbert's numbers have gone down quite a bit. The players in general are not very good at dealing with physical coverage, they're not all that fast, and they have trouble running under the deep throw. They don't come back to the quarterback enough, considering the style of offense they run. The offensive line is also very spotty and there's nothing impressive about the backs coming out of the backfield. From the games I saw, it wasn't surprising to discover that his average distance on 3rd and 4th downs when he had his number called was 3rd/4th & 8.

Throwing Skills: His arm is very good. You're not going to confuse him with Jamarcus Russell but he is at the level below that. He gets a very tight spiral, spins the ball really well, and his throws work very well in heavy conditions as he cuts the wind. When he really squeezes the ball, the velocity and trajectory on his 25 yard throw can be as good as I've seen it, we're talking frozen rope stuff, and that's with windy conditions. He doesn't necessarily need a full follow-through in order to get velocity on his passes, which is a difference between he and a Pat Devlin.

Throwing Mechanics: His throwing mechanics are off, and so the arm strength will sometimes look bad on the deep vertical. There's an awkwardness there that will have to be worked on at the pro level big time. He needs to step through his throws more, as he's bad with using his feet and hips to follow through on his throws. The problem is consistency, more so than ability. He shows a good release point at times and he also shows follow-through, and when he does he has some pretty good looking throws. I'm not worried about the release as it will get better the more he works on it, and I think his arm strength is a big plus, so I wouldn't be scared off by his mechanics or arm.

Pocket Mechanics: He has a consistently sluggish setup in his drop and this is issue #1 that I would work on at the next level. He isn't as totally uncommitted to the art of setting up like Cam Newton is, but if you were to stand he and Pat Devlin side by side, even though they both come from shotgun offenses, it couldn't be more clear which guy's footwork and setup project better to the NFL. The setup may be a symptom of underlying issues, and either the underlying issues or the setup itself cause him problems in other areas of his game that he needs to address at the next level. If the feet working slowly because his mind works slowly, then the slow setup is a red flag. On the other hand, as the play progresses, Gabbert's feet get quicker and quicker. He has the instincts to use the pocket by stepping up, into and through it, instead of running away from it, and that's a very good thing. If you rattle him hard, he can at times start to feel phantom pressure and shy away from the pocket a little bit, but with the heavy duress I've seen him under at times, this is only natural. He slides well and naturally and I don't get issues with balls batted down for him, even though his release point can be on the low side.

Offensive Command: There is some relative weakness in this category. He doesn't have command of the offense like some of the seniors or older, more experienced players I've graded (Mallett among them, he's older and has more experience than Gabbert). He has responsibilities and he executes them well for the most part, however in the Nebraska game they had repeated issues with getting the unit lined up in a timely fashion, having to burn timeouts, and even at one point burning a timeout he didn't have and therefore drawing a penalty. At another point he came out of the huddle with 12 men on the offense and didn't realize it until they lined up, and then it was too late because he had no more timeouts, due to miscues. He had some similar need for burning timeouts in other games, like Texas A&M and Oklahoma. However, the guy performs pretty well late in the game, and his 2nd Half QB Rating (87.9) seems consistently higher than his 1st Half QB Rating (81.7). He converts 50% of his 3rd and 4th down situations when he has 7 yards to go or less.

Reading Defenses: He shows that he can see the field, and can make appropriate decisions on when to pull down the ball, throw it away, or attack the defense. One thing he consistently shows is good low peripheral vision and ability to know when an underneath defender is in his passing lane. This helps him avoid batted passes, as well as turnovers. He seems a very risk-averse decision maker and his 1.8% career interception rate is not coincidental. He throws the ball away often and he runs it for positive yardage. Because he is in a spread option offense, a good number of reads will be pre-snap design. The ability to make timely reads is going to be a weakness in his stock, as well as that of Cam Newton. But, it's different from a guy like Jake Locker. Gabbert and Newton show the ability to read the defenses and find the right throw, when they're asked to do it. Jake Locker's offense by its nature asked him to do that on a regular basis, and he consistently showed that he was incapable of that, and so the offense changed to suit him. That's a big difference. When he throws the ball away or tucks it and runs, I usually don't see where he could have gone with the football. That's one difference between he and Cam Newton. With Newton, I often feel when he tucks the ball to scramble that he's ignoring or not seeing a downfield option. However, there are times when he feels the clock go off in his head, and takes his eyes off the field a little unnecessarily. He seems to get better at reading the defense and having a feel for what he's doing for them and what will work for him, as the game wears on. He flashes the ability to manipulate defenders with his eyes but he doesn't do it enough. The worst aspect of his game is that his slow setup and tendency toward his 1st read can give the defense opportunities to get to the ball early. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Timing & Anticipation: His timing and anticipation are really mediocre at best. The slow setup really hurts this aspect of his game. It's something for him to work on. At times he can release the ball a hair late, after the player's break. It's not Chad Henne bad, but it's something he needs to work on from a consistency standpoint, because he'll go a game or two where his timing and anticipation are spot on, and then he'll go a game or two where he's late on a fair number of throws. One of the big pluses on his timing is that he seems to have a good clock in his head when setting up in the pocket. He knows when he's been in the pocket too long and he needs to start making something happen. However, I don't sense that the clock in his head makes him rush through his progressions and miss open people, as Chad Henne has been accused over the years. I think he is coached to make a certain number of reads on his plays and then flip the improv switch to start creating, and this often avails him as his offensive line is not particularly good. Nebraska consistently pressured and beat the heck out of him with four rushers.

Ball Location: Again, this is very mediocre for a starter at the next level. He does not miss a high percentage of passes and his career 60.2% completion is well-earned in my opinion, on both the good and bad side. The most consistent problem area is his placement on the deep ball. He does not get it to the outside shoulder and sometimes his mechanics will break down completely, looking awkward. When he gets the mechanics right, he settles into some nicely thrown balls but still most often placed too far ahead or too far inside. His location on his short passes can be inconsistent as well. His receivers may not be the fastest bunch or the most dangerous, but they do at times bail him out on balls that are not put in the bread basket. Remember, inconsistency is not the same as inaccuracy, and his miss percentage is low. Considering he still has technical issues to work out in his mechanics, there's actually upside in his location because I find when he gets the mechanics right, his location is better.

Under Pressure: He might be the best of the quarterbacks in this Draft under pressure, and that's saying something because Andrew Luck can create and handles pressure very well, and of course Cam Newton is Cam Newton. Gabbert is able to make the first rusher miss a very high percentage of the time, and then he uses his feet to start creating. He senses the pocket's collapse, and it's not easy to rattle him. He has been hit HARD with illegal blows to the head and all manner of hits, and he's popped up and punched back on the very next play. That's a fighting mentality and I like it. He can at times be inconsistent with his ability to pull the ball down, reset and then find someone with his arm. But then, half the time, he does exactly that. Believe it or not, this is not an ability that you see often in college. Ryan Mallett lacks it almost completely. Jake Locker has it once in a blue moon. Andrew Luck is the only other quarterback in this draft aside from Cam Newton that satisfies me in this regard. But, then as I mentioned before, I feel like when Newton begins his scramble, he often has guys wide open right in front of him that he doesn't see or try to hit with his arm, preferring instead the throw. Blaine Gabbert's decision-making and ability to create under duress is at a pro level. He throws the ball away often, and when he does that I can rarely come up with an instance where I thought he had an open underneath option. He almost never does something confoundingly stupid with the ball when under pressure. Most often he throws the ball away or gains a yard or two with his feet. But I would say maybe a third of the time, he rips off a big run, or gets a pass into the defense that both makes sense, and gets some good yardage.

Touch: Pro level. With such an at times low delivery, you would think he would struggle more with the up-and-down throw than he does...but he really does not. He gets the ball over the linebackers and into a spot in the defense. When he's got his feet right he is able to drop the vertical down the chimney, just not often in the right spot. He knows when touch is necessary and knows when it's not. If there's one issue in this area it's that sometimes he can gun a shorter throw a little harder than necessary. That's a little nitpicky. I haven't seen any if any RB screens, so it would be difficult to judge his touch on those throws.

On-Field Demeanor: I haven't noticed any issues with this. There have been suggestions that he's not super well liked by teammates but I haven't been able to confirm and it may be total garbage. Here is what I know, and that is that I don't see him openly blaming receivers, getting mad at them and letting the world know he thinks they screwed up. I don't see any "I don't give a rats arse" throws that are selfish in nature, symptom of a guy that feels he's getting no help and therefore is just giving up on a play. What I have seen, however, is this guy get beat the eff up by some defenses physically, and him get up and punch back on the very next play. He's not exuberant and you wouldn't accuse him of being giddy on the field. After about the third or fourth illegal hit taken straight to the face against the Nebraska defense, he still gets up and the very next play makes a nice scramble for 12 yards on an impossible 3rd & 22. The guy keeps working and he keeps punching.

Feet: This guy is going to run pretty fast on a track. When he gets on the hoof I expect him to show Jay Cutler type speed, and he shows that he can get out of trouble on the move with his feet and quickness. Just because he's a little on the slow side with his footwork on his pocket mechanics (not nearly as slow and relaxed as Cam Newton mind you), don't let that fool you into thinking he doesn't have quick feet. He can set and reset his feet with quickness, and buy time in the face of pressure, running for yards. More often than not when he gets a single guy coming in on him, he is going to make him miss and buy a little extra time, and that's a very important ability. Whether he does something great with the ball through the air afterwards is an open question, he ends up with a fair number of throwaways and 2 yard running gains in that sort of situation.

Overall: As you read through each individual aspect of his game, it gets easy to get a little lost in the minutae. That's why I want to emphasize a few things in this particular player. His combination of size, feet, arm strength, accuracy, touch, and ability under pressure are uncommon in a quarterback prospect. Think about that. All of those things, he has them. His feet and escapability are about as good as you get outside of a Michael Vick/Vince Young/Cam Newton type prospect. His arm strength is about as good as it gets outside of a Jamarcus Russell/Kyle Boller/Joe Flacco type prospect. His accuracy is pro caliber, though there is still some meat left one the bone for him to work on as far as ball placement. And to top it off, he has an understanding of touch, when it is needed, and how to use it. With those things in his corner, and especially with his escapability and handling of pressure, he can learn the rest on the go. I'm not seeing a guy that is incapable of reading a defense or going through his progressions. He shows safe decision making, the aggressiveness to fit the ball into a tight space, and the awareness of threats to his passing lane. I'm not seeing a guy that lets his team down in the clutch, or shows poor leadership on the field. He seems to get stronger as games go on. I'm not seeing a guy that needs his coaches to do everything for him because he can't be a field general. This is a young guy that will get better in many respects, and has the physical and mental tools to play immediately and not be overwhelmed. This is a young player that at times looks young and looks like he still has a lot to work on. But, the upside story is tremendous. There are guys out there I feel have fatal flaws, or upside limiters. He does not have either, which may make him the #2 QB prospect behind only Andrew Luck, or I may decide to put him behind Cameron Newton due to Newton's even higher potential upside. There is still only one passer in this Draft that I would bet the franchise on, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get with the idea of taking a guy like Gabbert in the mid-1st round. I would not recommend Ryan Mallett with that kind of pick, and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend Jake Locker with it, but Blaine Gabbert could definitely get my nod of approval.

I was really excited about Gabbert coming in to this year. But the more that I watch him the less confidence I have in him. His throwing motion is really inconsistent and I see the effect that has on his accuracy. I am beginning to think that there just isn't another solid QB after Luck.

This is every throw he makes against Nevada. I think seeing the throws made over the course of a game in succession helps me get an idea about what a guy is working with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BB0mwOBMg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UUuIvBof8&feature=related

Was just watching the clips you posted from Nevada, and I am most struck by how often Nevada got IMMEDIATE pressure with 4 pass rushers and how well Gabbert navigated that pressure.

Would love to see some more 'complete games' like that.

Also, I watched the NEB/MISS game live earlier this year, and while NEB won the game and largely shut down MISS, his receivers were absolutely blanketed, and Nebraska applied pretty good pressure with 3 and 4 rushers most of the game. Gabbert again did a good job buying time, and he fit the ball into some very tight windows.

My question is, is he going to be coming out? Here's another analysis of Gabbert:
Blaine Gabbert Measurables:

Position: Quarterback
School: Missouri
Year: Junior
Height: 6-5
Weight: 240
40-Yard Dash:
Strengths:

• Excellent size and strong arm
  • Can make all the NFL throws with accuracy and touch
  • Decent mobility, quickness, and speed for a big quarterback
  • Throws accurately on the run
  • Has a fairly quick release
  • Reads defenses well at the line of scrimmage
  • Rarely tries to force the ball into receivers who are covered
  • Great leadership skills
  • Tough guy who is willing to play through nagging injuries

Weaknesses:

• Has inconsistent footwork, doesn't always step into his throws
  • Needs to get better at looking off defenders
  • Has a little bit of a hitch in his windup
  • Played mostly in a spread offense at Missouri, so there will be an adjustment moving under center in the NFL

Bottom Line on Blaine Gabbert:

Blaine Gabbert has the size and athletic ability most teams look for in a quarterback, but he will have to make some adjustments coming into the NFL, particularly playing under center and making pre-snap adjustments in pass protection. But he's a smart guy with great intangibles who has the potential to develop into a franchise-type quarterback. Projection: Gabbert could definitely use a little polish on his game, but with some solid coaching he has the chance to be a great player. Andrew Luck is hands down the best signal caller in the 2011 NFL Draft, but Gabbert is among a group of three or four other quarterbacks who could be the second off the board. I'd expect him to be selected somewhere in the middle of the first round to early in the second. But if he were to return to school for his senior season and work on refining his game, he could be the top pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.
http://football.about.com/od/Quarterback/p/Blaine-Gabbert.htm

CK nailed it with hit toughness... the kid got abused by Nebraska last year. He had a similar type game against that defense that Jake Locker had this year, although Gabbert's was better. The same type game that Josh Freeman had against that Nebraska defense the year he came out...

That's why I don't completely write off Locker because of that game....

Anyway, Gabbert is a decent prospect, but he's still not "there"... He still has those ugly games that pop up like against San Diego St. and Kansas this year... He's about where Josh Freeman was as a prospect when he came out as a junior, except Gabbert is a little bit more undeveloped from a fundamentals standpoint due to the offense he plays in.

All the positives are obvious... big kid, good arm, can drive the football outside the numbers, decent throwing mechanics and release, has adequate touch and velocity on the short/intermediate routes, good mobility for his size, moves in the pocket, plays with good eye level while side stepping the rush (this is a big one), etc...

CK did an excellent job of touching on the negatives... slow to set up at times, accuracy downfield is what I would call pretty shaky to be honest, decision making is about where you'd expect it to be, throws more bubble screens in that offense than I like to see, WILL trust his arm too much and make the ill advised pass - especially when a play breaks down, etc... Struggles more with throws to the left side of the field, which is typical for most ANY young quarterback...

He's going to have to make the same adjustments as far as taking snaps, dropping back, etc. that all of these spread offense/shotgun quarterbacks are going to have to make...

I don't have a 1st round grade on him personally, but if you take him in the 1st round it's obviously based on upside. He's a little bit better of a prospect than Nick Foles is based on upside, but they're very similar quarterbacks in many ways.

He won't be above Mallett or Locker on my board, but he'll be above Cam Newton.

Was just watching the clips you posted from Nevada, and I am most struck by how often Nevada got IMMEDIATE pressure with 4 pass rushers and how well Gabbert navigated that pressure.

Would love to see some more 'complete games' like that.

Also, I watched the NEB/MISS game live earlier this year, and while NEB won the game and largely shut down MISS, his receivers were absolutely blanketed, and Nebraska applied pretty good pressure with 3 and 4 rushers most of the game. Gabbert again did a good job buying time, and he fit the ball into some very tight windows.

To me, you watch Nebraska play Missouri and then you watch Nebraska play Washington, and it's a great contrast between the QBs that shows you what a better prospect Blaine Gabbert is compared with Jake Locker. The secondary did indeed blanket both teams' receivers, and apply pressure with four-man fronts. But, though Gabbert was clearly rattled a little bit by the pressure and you could tell in his scrambling patterns, he for the most part stood tall all game, never made bad decisions, and his ability to read the defense and adjust to what Nebraska were doing to he and the offense really got better as the game wore on. That happens when you don't allow panic to set in. He only had the one interception and it was because he failed to place the deep ball on a 3rd & 17 on the outside shoulder (and of course woe be it for a Missouri WR to actually adjust to a ball in the air, they don't do it hardly at all)...it really wasn't a costly situation. Gabbert kept working, kept punching, never resorted to flat out stupid decision-making, and because of that the game was within reach until the end. And that was with taking no less than three illegal hits, some called and some not...helmet-to-helmet type stuff that physically shook him up. I mean, the guy gets speared in the head from a blind side DB blitz, should have been a penalty, he's shaken up, he gets up on the next 3rd & 22 (impossible down), and he calmly scans the field, doesn't see anyone, and scrambles out for a 12 yard gain. At that point in the game, I felt like they should have gone for it on 4th & 10 and if they did then that scramble of his would have been CRUCIAL to making that 4th down a makeable situation. They didn't go for it, they punted it with like 8 minutes left, and they never saw the ball again because that's the kind of day Nebraska's offense and Roy Helu Jr. were having against Missouri.

Jake Locker's bad decisions came in costly situations, led to Nebraska points, and he didn't keep fighting back. By the end, he simply gave up, and showed that he gave up several times with a couple of blind throws where he was just being selfish, tired of dealing with the pressure Nebraska was throwing in his face, tired of dealing with his receivers being covered.

I think Blaine Gabbert compares in a lot of ways to Josh Freeman and Ben Roethlisberger coming out.

I place a lot of emphasis, probably in the wake of the John Beck disaster and subsequent Chad Henne disaster, on the ability to handle a pass rush and convert pressure into positive plays. If you have a guy that does that and does it well, and he happens to be in a 6'5" and 240 lbs frame with a rocket arm and NFL accuracy?

I'll teach him the rest.

That's why I place Gabbert above Mallett. And as for Locker, I don't want to get into that obviously.

I place a lot of emphasis, probably in the wake of the John Beck disaster and subsequent Chad Henne disaster, on the ability to handle a pass rush and convert pressure into positive plays. If you have a guy that does that and does it well, and he happens to be in a 6'5" and 240 lbs frame with a rocket arm and NFL accuracy?

I'll teach him the rest.

That's why I place Gabbert above Mallett. And as for Locker, I don't want to get into that obviously.

well then pat devlin needs to drop a few pegs...i haven't seen the kid handle pressure well yet

anybody know when delaware plays in the championship game??? or did i miss it already

You definitely don't want a guy who's mechanics break down when he faces a little bit of pressure, that's going to lead to turnovers.

But I don't think Gabbert is necessarily exceptional at it either... I just don't see it. I think he gets away with it sometimes because his receivers are much better than Locker's, for example. They'll mirror him when he's in trouble or work back to him, Locker's receivers don't do that.... and he's in trouble a helluva lot more than Gabbert is.

Gabbert hasn't faced any Nick Saban, John Chavis, Ellis Johnson, or Charle Strong coached defenses either the way Mallett has... the best DC's Gabbert and Missouri have faced over the past 2 years is Bo Pelini's defense at Nebraska, and Will Muschamp at Texas.... when you watch those games, I come away a bit more skeptical.

If you go back and watch the first half of Cam Newton versus Nick Saban's defense, there's all kinds of flaws in Newton's game. Gus Malzahn made the adjustments in the second half to get the other skill position players involved, and Kirby Smart never adjusted.... he just stuck with what was working in the first half because the lead was so big...

The kid I'm really begin to grow on is the guy you liked all along, T.J. Yates. He's still too boneheaded at times in his decision making, but he plays the game with excellent poise and mechanics.. they don't break down under pressure... and he understands defenses. He knows how to recognize blitzes and adjust the protections pre-snap... He follows through on his throws and gets out over his front leg...

When I give Yates a closer look, he gets better, not worse.... unlike Cam Newton for example.

well then pat devlin needs to drop a few pegs...i haven't seen the kid handle pressure well yet

anybody know when delaware plays in the championship game??? or did i miss it already

I have. I've tracked his handling of pressure and though it's not at Gabbert's level, it's a little bit inconsistent actually from game to game, it's still not even close to as bad as Mallett's. The only three QBs in the Draft I feel certain will handle an NFL rush in excellent fashion are Andrew Luck, Blaine Gabbert and Cameron Newton. No coincidence they're the three highest on my board.

The championship game is January 7th.

I have. I've tracked his handling of pressure and though it's not at Gabbert's level, it's a little bit inconsistent actually from game to game, it's still not even close to as bad as Mallett's. The only three QBs in the Draft I feel certain will handle an NFL rush in excellent fashion are Andrew Luck, Blaine Gabbert and Cameron Newton. No coincidence they're the three highest on my board.

The championship game is January 7th.

well i've admittedly only seen the last 2 playoff games and i felt like in the first game he had issues with pressure in the second he barely got touched...

anyways...jan 7th...noted

slimm what have you seen with newton that has you so down on him right now???

i'm just point blank ready to take a chance on greatness...cam newton has great upside so to me its a risk worth taking

You definitely don't want a guy who's mechanics break down when he faces a little bit of pressure, that's going to lead to turnovers.

But I don't think Gabbert is necessarily exceptional at it either... I just don't see it. I think he gets away with it sometimes because his receivers are much better than Locker's, for example. They'll mirror him when he's in trouble or work back to him, Locker's receivers don't do that.... and he's in trouble a helluva lot more than Gabbert is.

Gabbert hasn't faced any Nick Saban, John Chavis, Ellis Johnson, or Charle Strong coached defenses either the way Mallett has... the best DC's Gabbert and Missouri have faced over the past 2 years is Bo Pelini's defense at Nebraska, and Will Muschamp at Texas.... when you watch those games, I come away a bit more skeptical.

If you go back and watch the first half of Cam Newton versus Nick Saban's defense, there's all kinds of flaws in Newton's game. Gus Malzahn made the adjustments in the second half to get the other skill position players involved, and Kirby Smart never adjusted.... he just stuck with what was working in the first half because the lead was so big...

The kid I'm really begin to grow on is the guy you liked all along, T.J. Yates. He's still too boneheaded at times in his decision making, but he plays the game with excellent poise and mechanics.. they don't break down under pressure... and he understands defenses. He knows how to recognize blitzes and adjust the protections pre-snap... He follows through on his throws and gets out over his front leg...

When I give Yates a closer look, he gets better, not worse.... unlike Cam Newton for example.

I've watched 5 of Gabbert's games and I'm about to watch a 6th with the Nevada game on YouTube...and I've yet to see his receivers do this. It's one of the weaknesses of that team, if you ask me. They don't adjust well when the play breaks down. They get erased by physical coverage. They're clueless trying to track and adjust to the football in the air. The Tight End, Egnew, has a clue...but he can be erased. T.J. Moe can play smart at times, but he can also be erased because he's not particularly fast and he can be jammed and blanketed. When they lost Danario Alexander, they lost a lot of the help that Blaine Gabbert could have used right now.

I agree on Yates obviously...the more you dig the more you tend to like. He's also got a little bit of an ear hole delivery at times. The weaknesses with him are that he doesn't find the intermediate throw often enough, it's all short or deep, and he doesn't have the physical tools to beat NFL pressure. He has the poise to handle it without breaking down, as you say, but not the tools to beat it. Blaine Gabbert is exceptional to me, in this regard. He has the poise to handle the rush, feel it, avoid it, work the pocket, but he also has the tools to make you miss and hurt you afterwards.

That has to be at such a premium for a young player in today's NFL.

Back
Top Bottom