QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

The Jets gave up their #17 and #52 to move up to #5 along with 3 players that I've never heard of for Sanchez. We don't have our 2nd, so a similar deal may be had if we give up our third with a couple of more legitimate players. Maybe Sean Smith if we ever figured out a way to land Asomugha.

Slightly different situation because Mangini was with Cleveland and he wanted all those players the Jets traded...they basically used his knowledge of the Jets roster against him.

while i agree with that don't tell mike vick and andy reid that...

I think the refs are definitely biased against running QBs like Vick. The team that wants to take Cameron Newton in the Draft should take note of this, that the rules protecting QBs don't seem to be applied evenly to running QBs.

I think the refs are definitely biased against running QBs like Vick. The team that wants to take Cameron Newton in the Draft should take note of this, that the rules protecting QBs don't seem to be applied evenly to running QBs.

yeah but cam newton has a much better body than vick to take those hits...i think its just a matter of time before vick gets hurt long term

we won't be the only ones looking to move up to that pick however...i count 5 teams minimum who should be on the phone at least trying to get into that top 5...for their qb

That could be true but I often find that NFL teams are really slow on the uptake when it comes to recognizing things like this. There will be teams to recognize this but there will a lot that don't, and take the conservative route. This could be problematic because you may run into a team that you're trying to trade with that tries to play things by the old trade value chart and when you say that next year's 1st should be worth way more than this year's 1st with the rookie wage scale, what if they say "I don't believe that."? You can't account for stupid, and the NFL is without a doubt often stupid when it comes to philosophical and value issues like this. It's one reason why forward-thinking teams are usually on top.

And just because Miami has a revelation that they need to stop putzing around at the QB position, doesn't mean other teams are having that revelation as well.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

yeah but cam newton has a much better body than vick to take those hits...i think its just a matter of time before vick gets hurt long term

Me too. I look forward to that day.

i don't know ck...the quickest way to get fired as a gm is not to have a good qb or something to build around...i mean i have to think there is a ton of pressure on gms around the league to land a difference making qb or prepare for the unemployment line

ireland and sparano ABSOLUTELY have to know it...

i hate the fact that we HAVE TO use that top pick on a qb cause chad henne stunk up the joint...and that means we have to pass up a guy like mark ingram...drives me crazy

That could be true but I often find that NFL teams are really slow on the uptake when it comes to recognizing things like this. There will be teams to recognize this but there will a lot that don't, and take the conservative route. This could be problematic because you may run into a team that you're trying to trade with that tries to play things by the old trade value chart and when you say that next year's 1st should be worth way more than this year's 1st with the rookie wage scale, what if they say "I don't believe that."? You can't account for stupid, and the NFL is without a doubt often stupid when it comes to philosophical and value issues like this. It's one reason why forward-thinking teams are usually on top.

And just because Miami has a revelation that they need to stop putzing around at the QB position, doesn't mean other teams are having that revelation as well.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Me too. I look forward to that day.

Beat me to it.

i hate the fact that we HAVE TO use that top pick on a qb cause chad henne stunk up the joint...and that means we have to pass up a guy like mark ingram...drives me crazy

It's the price you pay for not having a top flight quarterback. Well, besides the losing, the heartache and the embarrassment.

I love Mark Ingram as you know but even if we had a quarterback I'm not sure I would take him over a Justin Blackmon.

It's the price you pay for not having a top flight quarterback. Well, besides the losing, the heartache and the embarrassment.

I love Mark Ingram as you know but even if we had a quarterback I'm not sure I would take him over a Justin Blackmon.

you know i would...if i thought blackmon was a dez bryant like talent i would not but i don't put him quite on that level as a prospect

you know i would...if i thought blackmon was a dez bryant like talent i would not but i don't put him quite on that level as a prospect

But running backs just don't have as much value to me as wide receivers, especially since I've finally come around to the idea that the power running offense is completely out of date (and will just become more so in an 18 game season). Just look at what 6th round pick James Starks was able to do for Green Bay last night... and like a dozen other low round RBs did for their teams this year.

The best offenses are the one's that throw the best. I'd take an Andre Johnson, Roddy White or Calvin Johnson over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson any day of the week and like five times on Sunday.

ehhh...i don't know if i would

and i'm on my own island that mark ingram will be a hof running back...

It'd depend on the offense. I don't know that there's a WR in the league I'd take over J. Charles or Chris Johnson.

both of those guys are gonna start getting hurt here shortly...charles gets dinged up after just about every carry...but man are those guys explosive...but kc does it right...charles isn't getting 350 carries per year...chris johnson is gonna break down...way too much load on that kid

that said i wouldn't take either over ap...you give ap those running lanes and he'll not only outrun you but run you over like a mack truck in the process...

It'd depend on the offense. I don't know that there's a WR in the league I'd take over J. Charles or Chris Johnson.

It's a philosophical thing. I know Sam Bradford appreciated having Steven Jackson behind him but if I were him I would rather having an average back and a great wide receiver than a great back like Jackson and average wideouts (though by the end "average" would be a charitable thing to call what they were fielding out there in St. Louis. Denario Alexander? Sheesh).

Some might disagree -- having a running game gives you favorable looks in the passing game and so on. But when the game's on the line your WR is just much more important than than your RB. Much more. The running game, as Bill Walsh said, is for keeping the lead. To get ahead, to come back, or to make it happen in the crunch, it comes down to your QB and your WRs.

This is even ignoring the fact that a running back can't get it done without holes, which means you need a bunch of good run blockers. As Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger have shown, a top QB can do more with average to below average pass blockers than a great running back can do with average to below average run blockers.

i guess if you think justin blackmon will be a top 8 or so nfl wr i can see his value over a mark ingram...but i don't project blackmon to be quite that tier an nfl wr...

i don't project him to be a say hakeem nicks...nicks had polish i think blackmon lacks right now

Back
Top Bottom