QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

It's a philosophical thing. I know Sam Bradford appreciated having Steven Jackson behind him but if I were him I would rather having an average back and a great wide receiver than a great back like Jackson and average wideouts (though by the end "average" would be a charitable thing to call what they were fielding out there in St. Louis. Denario Alexander? Sheesh).

Some might disagree -- having a running game gives you favorable looks in the passing game and so on. But when the game's on the line your WR is just much more important than than your RB. Much more. The running game, as Bill Walsh said, is for keeping the lead. To get ahead, to come back, or to make it happen in the crunch, it comes down to your QB and your WRs.

This is even ignoring the fact that a running back can't get it done without holes, which means you need a bunch of good run blockers. As Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger have shown, a top QB can do more with average to below average pass blockers than a great running back can do with average to below average run blockers.

To me, J. Charles fits the mold of an offensive weapon more than a RB. He can get it done in the passing game, and he's a threat to take it to the house at any given time. I go back and forth on Ingram and Blackmon. Though, I'd be disappointed if we ended up with either - though, I like both a lot.

the only concern i have about mark ingram is does he have the speed to gain the corner at the nfl level consistently...

the only concern i have about mark ingram is does he have the speed to gain the corner at the nfl level consistently...

Which would be a problem for us with our current interior line. If he can't run inside and doesn't have the speed to hit the edge, he'd have some problems here. This is of course assuming we don't fix the interior line. Logic says we'll try...history says we'll fail with our current HC/FO. Really hope things change around here.

i hate the fact that we HAVE TO use that top pick on a qb cause chad henne stunk up the joint...and that means we have to pass up a guy like mark ingram...drives me crazy

Isn't this why it would be awful tempting to trade down in the 1st round, acquire an extra 2nd round pick like we did last year, and then we can use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on Brandon Weeden, a running back, and some other position help?

That's one reason I'm tempted by him.

But on the other hand, with Weeden versus Gabbert and Newton, if you come to the conclusion that all three are franchise QBs and all three have similar grades, then you have a tough choice as to how much 5 extra years of a franchise QB is worth to you. When you put it like that, is it worth those extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, or whatever it is you have to give up to get Gabbert or Newton?

I can tell you right now, Gabbert will be a Top 10 pick and we will most likely not trade up, so don't get the hoPes up too high

Am I the only person that thinks we may need to go after a RB?

I mean, none of our RB's had over 100 yards rushing this year. That's pretty sad.

Isn't this why it would be awful tempting to trade down in the 1st round, acquire an extra 2nd round pick like we did last year, and then we can use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on Brandon Weeden, a running back, and some other position help?

But on the other hand, with Weeden versus Gabbert and Newton, if you come to the conclusion that all three are franchise QBs and all three have similar grades, then you have a tough choice as to how much 5 extra years of a franchise QB is worth to you. When you put it like that, is it worth those extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, or whatever it is you have to give up to get Gabbert or Newton?

Do you see, or better yet does the NFL see B.Weeden as 1st round prospect if he declares?

Do you see, or better yet does the NFL see B.Weeden as 1st round prospect if he declares?

I don't think even CK would project Weeden going in the first round. Regardless of how talented he is. Part of the reason why some players are drafted too early or too late is because of the impression people have of them going into the seaon. Jake Locker will probably go in the 1st round even though his play only warrants a 3rd or 4th round pick. A guy like Weeden was an unknown coming into this season and that will play a huge part in where he is drafted because not as many scouts were watching for him.

I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but the more I watch Gabbert the more I see a supersized Aaron Rodgers. Only without the deep ball. He's not quite as bullish as a Roethlisberger or a Josh Freeman. He's more of a quickness guy, and he's got a real nice release and can gun it from all kinds of platforms.

I just wish I could watch some tape of his from last year. The WRs he's dealing with do exactly nothing for me. Even a guy like TJ Moe, who you want to root for. I don't even see him as a Wes Welker or Jordan Shipley type. Maybe it's why you never see the deep ball from him -- there's no way those guys are getting open for it. They generally show good hands, I'll give them that, but Gabbert's doing the vast bulk of the work. At this rate if we land him he's going to be very used to throwing to guys like Marshall and Bess... and more than likely marveling at how they manage to get that kind of separation. This in contrast to most rookies, who shake their heads at how small the windows are at the pro level.

I'm finishing watching Weeden vs. Nebraska today so I can watch Gabbert vs. Nebraska next. Should be interesting to compare and contrast.

i'm not as warm and fuzzy about weeden as you are...anyways if theres a trade down scenario where the top qbs are off the board and i can still get say kyle rudolph with that top pick and acquire a 2nd rounder to use on a qb or running back i'm all ears...

my top 3 picks in a trade down scenario ideally would be some form of best available qb, rb, and te

if mark ingram did still fall in our laps in a trade down assuming the qbs are gona i would not even have to think about pulling the trigger on him...but i don't think he's getting out of the top 15 to 20...if he does what a steal someone will be getting

Which would be a problem for us with our current interior line. If he can't run inside and doesn't have the speed to hit the edge, he'd have some problems here. This is of course assuming we don't fix the interior line. Logic says we'll try...history says we'll fail with our current HC/FO. Really hope things change around here.

i think that for most rbs that would be the case...cause most running backs can't see things the way mark ingram can...if he gets any daylight he'll be in it...you won't see him dancing around running sideways unless thats the only place there is opportunity...i don't think he's gonna blow around the corner like a jamaal charles but i think inside and just off tackle he'll be money and off the pitch i think he'll make plays wide...he makes guys miss in the hole or at the 2nd level is a tough hard nosed runner who runs with power and balance on that low to the ground frame...and he's got the makeup of exactly the kind of person any team should want in their locker room

i just keep coming back to those feet and vision of mark ingrams and i don't recall seeing him ever getting run down from behind at alabama once he's in the open field...

I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but the more I watch Gabbert the more I see a supersized Aaron Rodgers. Only without the deep ball. He's not quite as bullish as a Roethlisberger or a Josh Freeman. He's more of a quickness guy, and he's got a real nice release and can gun it from all kinds of platforms.

I just wish I could watch some tape of his from last year. The WRs he's dealing with do exactly nothing for me. Even a guy like TJ Moe, who you want to root for. I don't even see him as a Wes Welker or Jordan Shipley type. Maybe it's why you never see the deep ball from him -- there's no way those guys are getting open for it. They generally show good hands, I'll give them that, but Gabbert's doing the vast bulk of the work. At this rate if we land him he's going to be very used to throwing to guys like Marshall and Bess... and more than likely marveling at how they manage to get that kind of separation. This in contrast to most rookies, who shake their heads at how small the windows are at the pro level.

I'm finishing watching Weeden vs. Nebraska today so I can watch Gabbert vs. Nebraska next. Should be interesting to compare and contrast.

wow...i'd give anything to have an aaron rodgers under center in miami...for real...gabberts a little soft to me...i need to see some toughness and grit...i also don't think gabbert can match aaron rodgers as an athlete...while gabbert can run once on the hoof he looks more like a straight line guy to me in that regard...not sure he'll make people miss under pressure with subtle movements and its hard for me to say he has feel for the pocket cause he's never really working in one to begin with...

wow...i'd give anything to have an aaron rodgers under center in miami...for real...gabberts a little soft to me...i need to see some toughness and grit...i also don't think gabbert can match aaron rodgers as an athlete...while gabbert can run once on the hoof he looks more like a straight line guy to me in that regard...not sure he'll make people miss under pressure with subtle movements and its hard for me to say he has feel for the pocket cause he's never really working in one to begin with...

You've got to remember that lots of people questioned Aaron Rodgers' deep ball in the run up to that draft. It wasn't just the Jeff Tedford thing, people straight up questioned his mechanics and his deep ball... even his athleticism. I remember a post from Awsi Dooger a few months back where he told a story about seeing Rodgers live at Cal and just laughing at his inability to threaten deep.

I don't know enough about the Packers to be sure, but the common line of thinking is that the Packers basically started over and rebuilt him. I'm skeptical of that personally, but one thing's for sure now: Rodgers has a beautiful deep ball, very good mechanics and is one of the more efficiently athletic quarterbacks in the game.

If we take a Gabbert, we certainly won't have the ability to sit him for a few years. But I'm not as scared off by guys who don't threaten deep as I used to. He's certainly accurate enough to improve on it. And his mechanics issues, which crop up every now and again, are stuff that can ironed out.

My only issue now is that -- in the last 10 years -- there's only been one time that the top quarterback was taken after the 3rd pick in the draft. And that was in 2000, when Pennington was taken 18th. Frequently you see a quarterback go #1 and then no other quarterbacks for a while.

A few examples:

After Michael Vick was taken #1 overall, there wasn't another quarterback until the 2nd round (Drew Brees).

The aformentioned Aaron Rodgers was the 24th overall pick and the 2nd QB taken after Alex Smith.

Brady Quinn was taken #22 overall after JaMarcus Russell went #1 overall.

Just last year, Tebow was the 2nd QB taken and went at #24.

I think everyone agrees that Andrew Luck was the consensus #1 guy, and that while this is a good group of quarterbacks it's hard to see any of them being taken #1 overall. So the question is: is Carolina going to get it into their head to sell themselves about one of these guys and take him, reach be damned? And if so, which guy? Or are they going to take a Bowers and go the bargain or trade up route if someone falls?

Either way, history says that one or all of these guys is going to rise significantly. And -- most importantly for the Dolphins -- that if we're thinking that all we have to do is get in front of the 49ers to take the first quarterback off the board, there's a good chance we're deluding ourselves.

As it has been since Luck decided to go back to Stanford, Gabbert is my guy. The more I watch of him the more I like him.

Back
Top Bottom