Qb Busts. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Qb Busts.

I'd say 95% of QBs need to be well surrounded to play well. The way the draft is set up and the price of QBs, most QBs get overdrafted by bad teams. Of course most of them bust...

First, I'll give my flawed definition of a bust using corporate America. No supervisor considers, correctly, an 'average' employee a 'bust.' They're not. But some fans have two categories - 'top 5' or 'bust.' Yes, fans expect a lot from a QB picked in the 1st 10, but even then, reality says most of them don't end up being top 5 - many don't end up being starters. Most are, well, average or worse. That's the nature of any decision based on human judgement.

With that long preface, I agree with you. QB is an important position. Teams will gamble on a QB before any other position. And, like any gamble, the odds aren't good. Add to that my contention at any one time 3-4 starting QBs aren't NFL quality QBs. It's easy to see where this is going. The result is teams will pay a LOT for an average QB and expect more than average. Teams will draft a 'hope' rather than play a low talent QB next year.

Final thought. Good teams don't overdraft, but they STILL draft poor QBs.

Final thought. Good teams don't overdraft, but they STILL draft poor QBs.
For sure, only difference is poor QBs will win games on good teams. ie. Bortles 2017, Sanchez, any NE backup, Keenum 2017. While I wouldnt call Foles a poor QB, his play varies significantly depending on which team he plays for.

Tannehill started for us for 6 years (would've been 7 without the injury). He got a second contract. Yeah, he didn't end up being the franchise qb we wanted, but he's far from a bust.

Dolphins first round busts are players like Devante Parker, Dion Jordan, Jason Allen, Ted Ginn Jr., Jamar Fletcher, John Avery, and Yatil Green.

I'd put Tannehill in the category with the likes of Pouncey and Ronnie Brown.

Ginn is not a bust. Tannehill is a bust. 7 years and absolutely nothing to show for it. He is actually worse than a bust because he showed enough that the team kept him around for 7 years. 7 wasted years on a terrible player.

Ginn is not a bust.

Agreed. Not sure how you can be a bust when you last 12 years in the league. 14 playoff appearances with 6 different teams. Bust's rarely get 2nd or 3rd chances. Ginn knows his place in league and has carved himself a nice career and respect by many organizations. The fact that the Dolphins over drafted him doesn't make him a bust.

Ginn is not a bust. Tannehill is a bust. 7 years and absolutely nothing to show for it. He is actually worse than a bust because he showed enough that the team kept him around for 7 years. 7 wasted years on a terrible player.

Yeah Ginn was over drafted but has put together a career that someone like Davante Parker has absolutely no shot to match. The Ginn pick always gets too much flack on here for 1 reason:

1. All Dolphins fans wanted Brady Quinn which would have been a MUCH worse pick.
2. Any hindsight Dolphins fans that tell you they wanted Willis or Revis are LYING because they really wanted Quinn. Nobody could convince me otherwise.

I'd consider the bust list you have to be ordered like this:

John Avery - Should have never been drafted where he was.
Yatil Green - Should be #1 in my opinion but I'll give him a break since it was due to injury. I'm not sure he would have been any good anyway. Seems like he was as dumb as a box of rocks.
Dion Jordan - We traded up to get a player that was useless to us, weak draft class though as Lane Johnson was probably the right pick after the trade up.
Jamar Fletcher - Just a bad CB, bad pick. I'll never forget Madison pretty much deciding to cover Marvin Harrison on his own because Manning just kept killing Fletcher when he was covering.
Devante Parker - Has contributed Jack Squat.
Jason Allen - Has a few timely picks which probably makes him a bigger contributor than Parker.
Ryan Tannehill - A bigger bust than Ted Ginn at this point. Under 500 career record. Don't shoot the messenger but Matt Moore has a better career winning percentage. I know context, blah, blah, blah!
Ted Ginn Jr - Compared to the list above he's had a solid NFL career.

Last edited:
Yeah Ginn was over drafted but has put together a career that someone like Davante Parker has absolutely no shot to match. The Ginn pick always gets too much flack on here for 1 reason:

1. All Dolphins fans wanted Brady Quinn which would have been a MCUH worse pick.
2. Any hindsight Dolphins fans that tell you they wanted Willis or Revis are LYING because they really wanted Quinn. Nobody could convince me otherwise.

Yup. I remember watching and hoping Quinn would fall to the Dolphins. And maybe Quinn is successful if he goes anywhere but Cleveland.

No, you're absolutely right to call RT a bust. He was selected round 1 so you have to say that.

Unless you are trying to change the definition of an NFL bust you're not even close, You really need to understand the definition of what an NFL bust is.

Busts don't start for 7 years.

1. All Dolphins fans wanted Brady Quinn which would have been a MUCH worse pick.

I'd consider the bust list you have to be ordered like this:

John Avery - Should have never been drafted where he was.
Yatil Green - Should be #1 in my opinion but I'll give him a break since it was due to injury. I'm not sure he would have been any good anyway. Seems like he was as dumb as a box of rocks.
Dion Jordan - We traded up to get a player that was useless to us, weak draft class though as Lane Johnson was probably the right pick after the trade up.
Jamar Fletcher - Just a bad CB, bad pick. I'll never forget Madison pretty much deciding to cover Marvin Harrison on his own because Manning just kept killing Fletcher when he was covering.
Devante Parker - Has contributed Jack Squat.
Jason Allen - Has a few timely picks which probably makes him a bigger contributor than Parker.
Ryan Tannehill - A bigger bust than Ted Ginn at this point. Under 500 career record. Don't shoot the messenger but Matt Moore has a better career winning percentage. I know context, blah, blah, blah!
Ted Ginn Jr - Compared to the list above he's had a solid NFL career.

I wanted Patrick Willis from the start. Was never a fan of Brady Quinn and that's no lie. NCAAF my favorite team is Michigan (Go Blue) and IIRC ND never beat UM with Brady at the helm. Even more honest is I was more elated we drafted Henne in the 2nd round the following draft year.

Correct, Ginn is not an NFL bust, but he was a bust for the Dolphins. If you are going to call Tannehill a bust before his career is over, I assumed we were talking about their Dolphins career. Tannehill's Dolphins career was more successful than Ginn's.

Tannehill isn’t a bust. We would’ve been better off if he was.

I think we are looking at "bust" two different ways. Is the player a NFL bust or a first round bust? Tannehill isn't a NFL bust but he could be labeled as a first round bust? Same with Ginn.

I think we are looking at "bust" two different ways. Is the player a NFL bust or a first round bust? Tannehill isn't a NFL bust but he could be labeled as a first round bust? Same with Ginn.

But that's incomplete. A R1 bust based on fan expectations or a R1 bust based on the actual performance of R1 picks over the last 10 years?

Danny Wuerffel wasn't drafted early (4th round), but i was a huge fan of his at Florida. I thought he would amount to something.

Back
Top Bottom