QB debate comparable to Marino...? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB debate comparable to Marino...?

merlin00069 said:
David Woodley-4 year veteran...shows promise but lack of poise/experience

QUOTE]

Hey but David Woodley got us to a Superbowl.....OH YEAH how soon you forget. The reason Dan dropped as far as he did was the rumors he was using drugs. I don't think you can compare now to 1983/1984. :rolleyes:

BUT a QB like Smith or Rodgers would be nice.

Jaj said:
Your looking in hindsight...

He's not as good as Brees? The guy slid to the 2nd round. He wasn't a highly rated prospect. Vick I agree, Leftwich I'd argue, Palmer I'd agree, Manning I'd never thought much of. Before the 2004 draft I'd have to argue about Roethlisberger being better than both of these two as well.
I knew someone would point out Brees, but i really couldnt think of anyone else from that year, I used him out of desperation:lol: . I just dont think Smith and Rodgers are that good. They both come from 2 very QB and stat friendly environments, if that makes sense. I think Leftwich will come into his own next year. He has Good young recievers and I am sure he is more comfortable with Del Rio now, but thats not important. Now i am getting way off topic.

Try Ramsey I guess? He's not far off Brees either though....

Chad?

When I went to FSU (92-94) for a few years a buddy of mine (from PA..solid muscle built kid) there had an older brother that played ball with Marino who said he used Coke (at the time). Rumors get started for a reason imo and continued stories like this only back it up. Of course....it's all just speculation from 20 years ago :)

The big difference between the 83 draft and this year is that the 83 QB draft had a heavy top end QB class(as it turned out has 3 HOF QBs.) This years draft class is very questionable. Smith and Rodgers are above the rest of the class, but have scouts wondering about their abilities and are college system QBs. Elway, Marino, Kelly were not system QBs. I'm not sure what you were trying to compare, but the situations (pick #27 vs #2, 83 QB class vs. 05 QB class, the Fins situation in 83 vs 05) have nothing in common that I can see....

The big difference is that Shula was happy with the QB situation and was planning on drafting a DE. Marino was considered the BPA had been ranked by the Phin's scouting staff so much higher that Shula couldn't pass him up. The reason Dan dropped so much was that several players at Pitt were arrested for possesion of cocaine, which had a negative impact on his senior season and he was thought guilty by association.

merlin00069 said:
I just stumbled upon this thought in an earlier post and thought id share it with you guys and see what you though. Keep in mind that this in NO WAY is a comparison between the QB's in the draft and Dan Marino.

Situation in 1983....
Shula has the #27 overall pick and sees Dan Marino fall past 5 other QB's and takes him without question.

Shulas QB's in 1983
Don Strock-9 year veteran..good but never enough...great off the bench

Situation in 2005
Saban has the #2 overall pick and has the chance to draft a QB that could possibly be the franchise QB weve been looking for.

Sabans QB's in 2005
Gus Frerotte-12 year veteran good but still a backup...good off the bench
A.J. Feeley -5 year veteran...shows promise but lacks poise/experience

Kinda scary if you ask me...this also leads me to believe that hopefully Saban will do exactly what Shula did and pick to solidify and picka QB for the future. Cheers!(btw i didnt incluse Jim Jenson in 1983...or Rosenfels now because they are kind of out of the picture)

QB's are going 1,2.........Rodgers to the Niners, Alex Smith to the Miami Dolphins........I can feel it coming.

jbond said:
When I went to FSU (92-94) for a few years a buddy of mine (from PA..solid muscle built kid) there had an older brother that played ball with Marino who said he used Coke (at the time). Rumors get started for a reason imo and continued stories like this only back it up. Of course....it's all just speculation from 20 years ago :)

Who cares if he did coke?

Dan Marino wouldn't even be drafted in 2005....not with these stats:

1982 221/378 58.4% 2432yds 17TD 23INT

Roman529 said:
merlin00069 said:

QUOTE]

Hey but David Woodley got us to a Superbowl.....OH YEAH how soon you forget. The reason Dan dropped as far as he did was the rumors he was using drugs. I don't think you can compare now to 1983/1984. :rolleyes:

BUT a QB like Smith or Rodgers would be nice.

Yeah and Jay Fiedler won all those games between 2000 and 2003......not.

David Woodley was a perfect example of why you don't go into a championship game with a mediocre quarterback, he couldn't complete a single pass in the second half of that Superbowl.

Both Woodley and Fiedler were being carried by good defenses.

This period we are in now is similar to that Post Bob Griese period we were in 1983, we had mediocre quarterbacks, and yet most Dolphin fans didn't think we'd be picking a quarterback in the first round.

Alex Smith...........#11 Miami Dolphins

taking marino at 27 wasn't a reach, grabbing one of these QBs at 2 is a reach to me... if you talk about who the best playres are in this draft youd prob have 2-3 RBs and 1-2 WRs and 1-2 LBs ahead of these QBs in pure talent better player wise...

i hope saban doesn't pull a wanny and reach for one of these QBs, lets just take the best player available and call it a day, i dont care if its a RB or WR, i remember when youd take the best player regardless of position because the better players you have on your team, the better your team... now you people acting like well you dont take the BPA you have to take a QB or WR, RB and LB just aren't important enough, or you cant take that runner because he does'nt fit a system... **** all that just take the BPA... and these QBs aren't even top 5 if you ranked the players in this draft...

dont reach saban, dont pull a wanny

If we're going to use the past to predict the future, let's just wait until the 4th round and pick up a QB....that's where we drafted Joe Theisman.

Marino

The only reason Marino dropped so far in the draft was a knee injury, any team would tell you he would have gone in the top 5 without the injury.

Love this quote: "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Marino was a system"

merlin00069 said:
Again the comparison is not to position in the draft....but roster similarities and opportunities given to the respective coaches. :shakeno: I should have known this would be taken out of context...Doh!
Good analysis of the situation. Maybe we should take a QB in the first round. Actually there are numerous good players to choose from in the positions we want to fill. I think the major problem is determining which player is actually a #2 caliber talent. Not an easy decision. Hopefully we can trade down, get more picks and go from there. If not, that is why they do such extensive scouting and evaluating.

LarryFinFan said:
The big difference between the 83 draft and this year is that the 83 QB draft had a heavy top end QB class(as it turned out has 3 HOF QBs.) This years draft class is very questionable. Smith and Rodgers are above the rest of the class, but have scouts wondering about their abilities and are college system QBs. Elway, Marino, Kelly were not system QBs. I'm not sure what you were trying to compare, but the situations (pick #27 vs #2, 83 QB class vs. 05 QB class, the Fins situation in 83 vs 05) have nothing in common that I can see....

Too true.

Back
Top Bottom