QB debate comparable to Marino...? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB debate comparable to Marino...?

larfo2224 said:
Good analysis of the situation. Maybe we should take a QB in the first round. Actually there are numerous good players to choose from in the positions we want to fill. I think the major problem is determining which player is actually a #2 caliber talent. Not an easy decision. Hopefully we can trade down, get more picks and go from there. If not, that is why they do such extensive scouting and evaluating.
That's why the comparison doesn't hold water.

The choice didn't have anything to do with the roster at the time, it had eveything to do with BPA.

At 27 there was no question in anyone's mind who the BPA was. It was Marino.

At number two, there's big questions about whether the BPA even plays QB.

DonShula84 said:
Drafting Marino at #27, on a team that was already good wasnt a very big risk. If he didnt pan out no real harm done. At #2 we dont have that luxory because we arent a very good team, a player that busts with a pick that high can set the team back for years. If Saban thinks Rogers/Smith are the BPA then fine, but we shouldnt take a qb that high just because qb is the "sexy" pick.

Touchdown!!

Just what i was trying to say, there's no reason to compare a multiple holes, talent lacking, 2th worse and rebuilding Dolphins team in desperate seek for play makers and solid future guys, with a team with lost of talent, well coached with the 27th pick (not the expensive 2th).

Our real needs are RB(Ricky will be with us, but what kind of Ricky the superstar or a shadow called Williams???), OL (LT/C) (Carey will upgrade his skills, but we need 6 men), SS, CB, (a bulk young) DE, (a young strong & speedy 3-4) LB, (speedy, talented) WR and just in case a (talented obedient) QB to develop (Just remember we have Sage).

Jaj said:
Would you draft a guy who threw 17 TDS/ 23 INTS his senior year?

Not if I were drafting at #2, but at #27 he did seem like the BPA.

Roman529 said:
merlin00069 said:
David Woodley-4 year veteran...shows promise but lack of poise/experience

QUOTE]

Hey but David Woodley got us to a Superbowl.....OH YEAH how soon you forget. The reason Dan dropped as far as he did was the rumors he was using drugs. I don't think you can compare now to 1983/1984. :rolleyes:

BUT a QB like Smith or Rodgers would be nice.

Ok first of all if you had read the entire thread you would see that i mentioned why MARINO had fallen that low on draft boards that year. Drugs and a Senior season that didnt live up to the hype. And Nooo Woodley did not TAKE US to a superbowl...i have forgotten nothing. He was simply part of the team that go to the superbowl in a STRIKE season. Would you call these stats helping the team?

Passing Comp Att Comp % Yds Y/Att TD Int Rating
David Woodley 98 179 54.7 1080 6.03 5 8 63.5

I didnt think so. We got to the Superbowl that year because of the shortened year and a nice defense paired with a strong-good 2 headed running sttack with Franklin/Nathan. Well lookee there ive found another thing comparable in this situation....check this out...

Woodley- 63.5 QB rating in 1982
Feeley- 61.7 QB rating in 2004

They both had sub 65 QB ratings. Cheers.

merlin00069 said:
One last time. Ill break this down real easy. I think the situation Saban is in...having a veteran QB(Gus), and a early/veteran guy with promise(AJ) with the opportunity to take a potential Franchise QB in the draft is exacltY like what Shula faced in 1983 when Marino was available even though he had Strock...a veteran...and Woodley a younger vet. with promise....on the roster. Where they are drafting is irrelevant. True that you have MORE risk with the #2 overall because of the money difference BUT they both have/had the opportunity to take a potential "franchise" QB with their pick. The veteran and young veteran comparison is what makes the situation very much alike. :shakeno:

Its not irrelevent when you consider two very important points....
1- Saban vs Shula= Shula was coming off a super Bowl and had long established his legacy with not only the Dolphins but the NFL.
Saban is a first year headcoach in the NFL and many will be watching to see how he handles having such a high draft pick & who he picks will in some way
shape how people view his player evaluating skills.

2- #2 vs #27= you can'nt make the argument that 2 & 27 are irrelevent come on the #2 pick in the entire draft!!!! so it is important and can make a team chose the safer pick, btw picking Marino at 27 was easy the real question is would Shula have picked Marino at #2?

DonShula84 said:
Drafting Marino at #27, on a team that was already good wasnt a very big risk. If he didnt pan out no real harm done. At #2 we dont have that luxory because we arent a very good team, a player that busts with a pick that high can set the team back for years. If Saban thinks Rogers/Smith are the BPA then fine, but we shouldnt take a qb that high just because qb is the "sexy" pick.

Exactly. Excellent post. Don't forget, John Elway and Jim Kelly were in that draft also.

We can all talk about hindsight, but I watched Dan Marino from his Sophomore year in college. I thought he was awesome - he was my favorite college player in those years - and when he went to Miami I thought they had a stud. So did a lot of others who didn't listen to the rumors.

Back
Top Bottom