QB debate comparable to Marino...? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB debate comparable to Marino...?

merlin00069

All-Pro
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this thought in an earlier post and thought id share it with you guys and see what you though. Keep in mind that this in NO WAY is a comparison between the QB's in the draft and Dan Marino.

Situation in 1983....
Shula has the #27 overall pick and sees Dan Marino fall past 5 other QB's and takes him without question.

Shulas QB's in 1983
Don Strock-9 year veteran..good but never enough...great off the bench
David Woodley-4 year veteran...shows promise but lack of poise/experience

Situation in 2005
Saban has the #2 overall pick and has the chance to draft a QB that could possibly be the franchise QB weve been looking for.

Sabans QB's in 2005
Gus Frerotte-12 year veteran good but still a backup...good off the bench
A.J. Feeley -5 year veteran...shows promise but lacks poise/experience

Kinda scary if you ask me...this also leads me to believe that hopefully Saban will do exactly what Shula did and pick to solidify and picka QB for the future. Cheers!(btw i didnt incluse Jim Jenson in 1983...or Rosenfels now because they are kind of out of the picture)

It's difficult to compare the current crop of QBs to Marino b/c he was so successful in the NFL. But trying to think back to before the draft, the comparison isn't far off. Marino's senior season was no where near as good as Rogers and Smith. Marino had a stronger arm and that great release, but was not a very good decision maker. I'm sure people will find this blasphemous, but Marino had many question marks going into the draft. There were reasons that Eason and O'brien were drafted first.

rafael said:
It's difficult to compare the current crop of QBs to Marino b/c he was so successful in the NFL. But trying to think back to before the draft, the comparison isn't far off. Marino's senior season was no where near as good as Rogers and Smith. Marino had a stronger arm and that great release, but was not a very good decision maker. I'm sure people will find this blasphemous, but Marino had many question marks going into the draft. There were reasons that Eason and O'brien were drafted first.

Would you draft a guy who threw 17 TDS/ 23 INTS his senior year?

rafael said:

Obviously this is a thread that reflects the thinking and situations of the two years. Nothing more. In no way was this a comparison to Marino as i stated earlier in the post. It's also not comparing collegiate careers(thats too hard these days with alot of guys leaving after 2-3 seasons) just opportunities and more so roster similarities. Ohh and btw Eason/O'brien/Blackledge were drafted before because of a senior season that didnt live up to the hype like his junior season, and because of drug rumours.Those were the question marks.

merlin00069 said:
I just stumbled upon this thought in an earlier post and thought id share it with you guys and see what you though. Keep in mind that this in NO WAY is a comparison between the QB's in the draft and Dan Marino.

Situation in 1983....
Shula has the #27 overall pick and sees Dan Marino fall past 5 other QB's and takes him without question.

Shulas QB's in 1983

Situation in 2005
Saban has the #2 overall pick and has the chance to draft a QB that could possibly be the franchise QB weve been looking for.

Sabans QB's in 2005

Kinda scary if you ask me...this also leads me to believe that hopefully Saban will do exactly what Shula did and pick to solidify and picka QB for the future. Cheers!(btw i didnt incluse Jim Jenson in 1983...or Rosenfels now because they are kind of out of the picture)

We do have good luck with drafting QBs in the first round though we only had Marino and Bob Griese. Maybe 3 in a row?

I hope it's Rodgers...

merlin00069 said:
...this also leads me to believe that hopefully Saban will do exactly what Shula did and pick to solidify and picka QB for the future.
Hmmmm. So which QB do you think will be the 6th QB to go in the draft?

PhinstiGator said:
Hmmmm. So which QB do you think will be the 6th QB to go in the draft?

Again the comparison is not to position in the draft....but roster similarities and opportunities given to the respective coaches. :shakeno: I should have known this would be taken out of context...Doh!

merlin00069 said:
Again the comparison is not to position of draft....but roster similarities and opportunities given to the respective coaches. :shakeno: I should have known this would be taken out of context...Doh!
Oh no...true to the context. Marino fell in draft status past Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien. Those are 3 QB's that are not worthy to be on the field with Marino. The opportunity that you are describing is fallen value.

Which QB will fall in their draft status, but will rise above them all? Certainly a lower draft status was a motivation for Marino...as it was for Rothlesburger last season. Many times there is a Montana, Brady, Favre, and Marino that slides below the beloved top 2.

Drafting Marino at #27, on a team that was already good wasnt a very big risk. If he didnt pan out no real harm done. At #2 we dont have that luxory because we arent a very good team, a player that busts with a pick that high can set the team back for years. If Saban thinks Rogers/Smith are the BPA then fine, but we shouldnt take a qb that high just because qb is the "sexy" pick.

PhinstiGator said:
Oh no...true to the context. Marino fell in draft status past Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien. Those are 3 QB's that are not worthy to be on the field with Marino. The opportunity that you are describing is fallen value.

Which QB will fall in their draft status, but will rise above them all? Certainly a lower draft status was a motivation for Marino...as it was for Rothlesburger last season. Many times there is a Montana, Brady, Favre, and Marino that slides below the beloved top 2.

One last time. Ill break this down real easy. I think the situation Saban is in...having a veteran QB(Gus), and a early/veteran guy with promise(AJ) with the opportunity to take a potential Franchise QB in the draft is exacltY like what Shula faced in 1983 when Marino was available even though he had Strock...a veteran...and Woodley a younger vet. with promise....on the roster. Where they are drafting is irrelevant. True that you have MORE risk with the #2 overall because of the money difference BUT they both have/had the opportunity to take a potential "franchise" QB with their pick. The veteran and young veteran comparison is what makes the situation very much alike. :shakeno:

PhinstiGator said:

As for the top 2 qb's, I am not that impressed with Smith or Rodgers. They are not as good as Palmer Leftwich, Carr Harrington (well, maybe Harrington), Vick Brees, or Manning Roethlisberger. Hopefully we take one of them and I am dead wrong, but I am just not sold. Not worth #2 overall
I know I am going to get slammed for this, but I think Orton is the kid that will impress in years to come. Half way through the college season I heard ESPN's analysts say he was the top QB prospect along with Leinart. He had some injury problems, but I see something in him. Maybe its confindence or leadership. DOnt get me wrong, he is no Marino by any stretch of the imagination. However, he did slide his senior year and might just be the 6th qb taken(that last part was a joke):wink:

beejay05 said:
As for the top 2 qb's, I am not that impressed with Smith or Rodgers. They are not as good as Palmer Leftwich, Carr Harrington (well, maybe Harrington), Vick Brees, or Manning Roethlisberger. Hopefully we take one of them and I am dead wrong, but I am just not sold. Not worth #2 overall
I know I am going to get slammed for this, but I think Orton is the kid that will impress in years to come. Half way through the college season I heard ESPN's analysts say he was the top QB prospect along with Leinart. He had some injury problems, but I see something in him. Maybe its confindence or leadership. DOnt get me wrong, he is no Marino by any stretch of the imagination. However, he did slide his senior year and might just be the 6th qb taken(that last part was a joke):wink:

Your looking in hindsight...

He's not as good as Brees? The guy slid to the 2nd round. He wasn't a highly rated prospect. Vick I agree, Leftwich I'd argue, Palmer I'd agree, Manning I'd never thought much of. Before the 2004 draft I'd have to argue about Roethlisberger being better than both of these two as well.

This is a little freaky.Good post merlin.I relize you're not comparing drafts,but Saban having the #2 pick rather than the #27 overall is quite a bit different then Shula's situtaion was in 83'. Meaning money and risk factor if he's a bust.
merlin00069 said:

Situation in 1983....

Shulas QB's in 1983

Situation in 2005

Sabans QB's in 2005

Back
Top Bottom