QB: Free Agents, Trades, Cuts & Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB: Free Agents, Trades, Cuts & Draft

What Would You Do?

• Keep Jay or Brian, Draft QB with 1st or 3rd, Sign A Free Agent QB.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Cut or Trade Both Brian & Jay, Trade Up For E. Manning, Sign Free Agent QB to start.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Cut or Trade Both Brian & Jay, Draft WR in the 1st, Trade up for Rivers in the 2nd, Sign Free Agent

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Cut or Trade Both Brian & Jay, Draft OL in the 1st, Trade up for Rivers in the 2nd, Sign Free Agent

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Keep Jay as the #1, Draft WR / OL / QB with first three picks, Sign Free Agent #2 QB.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

MDolphins2003

Practice Squad
Reaction score
QB ~ Jay, Brian, Sage
Worth Keeping: Sage (Still waiting to see him play)
Targets: Brunell, Warner, Draft
Trade For E. Manning: (2) 1st & (1) 3rd at the most.

What I would do:
Cut Brian because of his cap. Resign Sage as the #3 for another year. Trade Jay to the Cards with his current contract or a new deal. Try to get a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder for Jay. Use that pick with others to trade up for E. Manning. It is time for Miami to land another stud QB. Otherwise the Phins will always try to patch up the most important position on the field every season. It will cost the Phins some other really good picks. But getting a QB will give Miami a chance years to come after the D is retired or cut. Sign Mark Brunell or Kurt Warner to a low end contract for 2 years. Let the Free Agent QB take the reigns and bring along Manning. Year Two unleash Manning.

Depth Chart
#1 ~ Mark Brunell or Warner
#2 ~ Eli Manning ( Has the tools to be a SOLID QB.)
#3 ~ Sage Rosenfels

You gotta give to get. Passing on Manning would be a bad move for a team that really needs a QB.

I just think that Manning will be a better QB now and in the future. Roethlisberger just makes me think of a bust. Just a gut feeling.

too much to think about in that poll, to make it simple
cut jay
cut brian
sign brunell
get picks for ogun
draft a qb
draft wr
draft ol
draft defense depth (safety, cb, lb)

I also think that Rivers is a reach with a 1st round pick. If he is there in the 2nd and Miami did not trade up for Manning, then trade up to get into the 2nd to get him. I have mixed feelings on Rivers. His mechanics are far from good. He does not have very good arm strength. He does have good numbers in college and seems to have somewhat of a quick release....But again the feelings are mixed.

It is a lot to think about. But it is the trickle down effect. If you do one it is because of something else.

i dont think rivers will be there in the second, if his status doesnt shoot up at the combine or anything, hell go to green bay i bet, late in the first round. i had heard they were high on him and are looking at a qb in the early rounds

I don't see why you couldn't put "Rivers/Losman"

I don't Think I would take Warner. He don't have much confidence in himself. Did anybody see him last night? They showed a side-line view of him during a break he looked bad he looked over weight and looked like he has'nt had sleep in a week. Brunell best bet.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
i dont think rivers will be there in the second, if his status doesnt shoot up at the combine or anything, hell go to green bay i bet, late in the first round. i had heard they were high on him and are looking at a qb in the early rounds

I wouldn't be surprised if River's stock actually falls at the combine. He is not a great athlete and his impressive game performances fall further into the past. I expect some lesser known QB with an avg. college career and a rocket arm will move up.

Originally posted by rafael

I wouldn't be surprised if River's stock actually falls at the combine. He is not a great athlete and his impressive game performances fall further into the past. I expect some lesser known QB with an avg. college career and a rocket arm will move up.

have you watched rivers? Not only did he end the season with a 5 TD, 340 yard bowl game after getting pulled in the 4th, but his stat's have constistenly got better through his career.

he is an impressive QB. He's big, has great pocket awareness has a more than adequate arm. His throws while not 70 yards have reached 50+ yards, and most important their on target. Boomer had a cannon arm, but I'll be damned if he couldn't hit a WR in stride. His throws consisted of a hail mary in the hope that the WR could camp under it and out jump the defender.

Rivers on the other hand throws sharp quick throws. his deep passes aren't hail mary's. He doesn't waste time gaining altitude, it goes lateral and lands in the recievers hands, instride. it's truely beautiful to watch.

I think he will fall in the combine due to his mechanics, but he won't go out of the first round. He is the CLEAR #3 QB in this years draft (over Losman. Sorry, but he's a Ryan Leaf that's why he's not in the poll) and like 17-0 pointed out, GB will be looking to pick up a Grooming rookie to replace Favre.

Originally posted by Graythreat

have you watched rivers? Not only did he end the season with a 5 TD, 340 yard bowl game after getting pulled in the 4th, but his stat's have constistenly got better through his career.

he is an impressive QB. He's big, has great pocket awareness has a more than adequate arm. His throws while not 70 yards have reached 50+ yards, and most important their on target. Boomer had a cannon arm, but I'll be damned if he couldn't hit a WR in stride. His throws consisted of a hail mary in the hope that the WR could camp under it and out jump the defender.

Rivers on the other hand throws sharp quick throws. his deep passes aren't hail mary's. He doesn't waste time gaining altitude, it goes lateral and lands in the recievers hands, instride. it's truely beautiful to watch.

I think he will fall in the combine due to his mechanics, but he won't go out of the first round. He is the CLEAR #3 QB in this years draft (over Losman. Sorry, but he's a Ryan Leaf that's why he's not in the poll) and like 17-0 pointed out, GB will be looking to pick up a Grooming rookie to replace Favre.

I think you misread my post b/c you questioned my having seen him and then agreed with me. I've watched him and I like him, but I've also followed the draft for years and it always happens. Some QB who is a great athlete but hasn't performed will shoot up the charts. Rivers can't run and doesn't have a cannon. Those two things get you noticed at the combine even though they are less important than production. By the time the draft rolls around combine numbers are fresh in people's minds and on-field performance becomes a distant memory. As a result, odds are that short of an incredible Senior Bowl performance coupled with poor performances by the other QBs, Rivers is as highly rated now as he will ever be.

I picked "Keep Jay as the #1, Draft WR / OL / QB with first three picks, Sign Free Agent #2 QB." only because that was the closest pick to reality. Jay and Brian and untradeable even for a 7th rounder in 2009 IMO because of their contracts and we will never ever ever get Eli Manning

Originally posted by MDolphins2003
I just think that Manning will be a better QB now and in the future. Roethlisberger just makes me think of a bust. Just a gut feeling.

The comparisons smack of the Leaf Manning debate when they came out. I would always go with the smart QB with a perigree.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
too much to think about in that poll, to make it simple
cut jay
cut brian
sign brunell
get picks for ogun
draft a qb
draft wr
draft ol
draft defense depth (safety, cb, lb)
excellent !!! exactly what i would do . jay has had is chance to bad for him , brian , with is cap figure no way in hell you stick around , brunell would be great in miami, team player still mobile and still has a strong arm at least for the next two to three years , enough time to groom a rookie qb. ogun would love to keep him but dosn't look like we can afford him , so lets make good on the picks we get for him hopefully it'll be a team like SD or ARIZONA who sign him so we can get some nice high picks for him sign some ol help and we'll be very good come SEPT.

Back
Top Bottom