QB needed Not Necessarily 1st round | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB needed Not Necessarily 1st round

Krush

Finaholic
Club Member
Reaction score
The fins can obtain a QB in any round as long as they are committed to development, Ist round talent don't always mean franchise, just because a guy win a few games doesn't means he's a franchise QB(Tony Romo) is one that comes to mind. Since 1967 there have been 23 1st QB's but only 2 of those 23 were the Heisman Trophy winner (Jim Plunkett and Roger Staubauch) have won superbowls for their respected teams.

Futhermore to denote that a 1st rounder is necessary is that from the 6th to the current 7th their have been 10 superbowl winning QBs that was drafted. So the dolphins giving their lack of development of players at any posistion (Pat Devlin) who is on the roster should really focus on coaching the players up instead of drafting them to fill a roster spot (Clyde Gates), oh did I mention that 3rd round had 3 superbowl winners becaust the teams was willing to live and die with the growing pains of the QB until he finally gets it. Look at flacco who thinks he's the best Qb in the NFL you be the judge he's won a few games but that's it but is he elite? he better than what the fins had the last couple of years. And I hear all of the grumbling about all of the misses that the fins didn't sign, Smith, Flynn, Orton, really??????????????? so do you guys want a QB to win games or a QB to take the team beyond mediocrity? I assure you that it wasn't Flynn, Smith, or Orton.

I would be satisfied if the Fins drafted a project like Osweiler (or another QB) and then focused this draft on replenishing our play makers for the WCO. We can draft a franchise QB next year. It will be a strong class with Barkley and Landry Jones at the top of the list.
Additionally, I would not mind if we traded a pick this year, to get in better position, with more ammo, next year.

I would be satisfied if the Fins drafted a project like Osweiler (or another QB) and then focused this draft on replenishing our play makers for the WCO. We can draft a franchise QB next year. It will be a strong class with Barkley and Landry Jones at the top of the list.
Additionally, I would not mind if we traded a pick this year, to get in better position, with more ammo, next year.

I'm sick of this mentality, that "draft a franchise QB next yr" was said last yr are they going to keep doing that every yr? And the yr before and the yr before and the yr before. How do you know we're going to suck enough to even get close to sniffing those kids.

You still have to play the game. They could love Ryan Lindley, doesn't mean they should draft him at 8, if they feel they can get him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Point being, if the love Ryan Tannehill and he is there at 8, you probably need to take him there. But to take him for the sake of taking a "first round QB" is where people get lost. People think "just draft a first round QB" is going to solve a decade of frustrations . . . but what if that QB doesn't work out? Now we can't use that crutch of "We haven't drafted a QB since Marino" anymore and we still would need a QB.

Just go with your instinct, we have some proven guys on the roster now, guys who have helped developed QB's and have ran solid offenses . . . we shouldn't let the incompetence of some of the offensive coaching we have had in here dilute the abilities of Philbin/Sherman.

quarterbacks taken after the first round rarely work, brady/romo are exceptions, we tried the project route with beck/henne and pat white and it did not work, it's time to take a QB in the first round and stop being so damn safe and conservative, take tannehill at 8 and let him sit for a year, the last qb we took in the first round was dan marino and that turned out pretty damn good, enough with this philosophy of being safe and taking a qb in the later rounds, come on people seriously! mayock, kiper, mcshay, polian, lombardi, they all say tannehill has the makings of a franchise qb, so take the damn kid and lets go!

I'm sick of this mentality, that "draft a franchise QB next yr" was said last yr are they going to keep doing that every yr? And the yr before and the yr before and the yr before. How do you know we're going to suck enough to even get close to sniffing those kids.

I am sick of the short sighted mentality that we have to take a 2nd tier QB in the first or second round, even if they suck to appease the media and fans. The only two likely(and that is not a given) franchise QB's will be gone when we pick at #8.
Next year, we trade trade up because most of the holes will be filled this year.
Next year, there will be fewer teams in the running, and more QB's to pick from.

The more you watch Tannehill on film the more you start to think that taking him at 8 is a bit ridiculous. The guy needs work and although the ceiling is very high so is the 8th pick in the draft.

That is the premium on QB's in today's league. I wouldn't be mad with the pick at all, but there is no denying that we are reaching on that pick. If he becomes the longterm answer at QB, the reach will be well worth it . . . but I'm not buying into the draft hype machine of Mayock, Kiper and McShay . . . I need to see Miami turn in his name on the card before I can cosign him as the 8th selection. If they pass, trust me I understand why.

1st round QBs don't sign $70 million dollar contracts anymore, it's more like $20 million. All the more reason to take one early

1st round QBs don't sign $70 million dollar contracts anymore, it's more like $20 million. All the more reason to take one early

Bingo.

Sick of drafting projects and taking fourth round flyers.

Its reasons like that that cause us to be in the situations that we've been in.

Newbie here so be easy on me. I agree with the above sentiment, and I'll add that this only heightens the demand for QB's in the 1st round. It isn't as expensive (i.e. fiscally risky) to take a QB in the first round with the rookie cap in place. All that said, if you don't think there is a guy there when you pick that has a high probability of being a franchise QB, then you sure as heck can't waste a pick on him. Do we really want to sign this years Christian Ponder just to take a QB in the first round? If Tannehill is there, and they think he's the guy I don't see how you can pass on him. They should know more about Tannehill than anybody. If he's there and they don't take him there's a reason.

quarterbacks taken after the first round rarely work, brady/romo are exceptions, we tried the project route with beck/henne and pat white and it did not work, it's time to take a QB in the first round and stop being so damn safe and conservative, take tannehill at 8 and let him sit for a year, the last qb we took in the first round was dan marino and that turned out pretty damn good, enough with this philosophy of being safe and taking a qb in the later rounds, come on people seriously! mayock, kiper, mcshay, polian, lombardi, they all say tannehill has the makings of a franchise qb, so take the damn kid and lets go!
So the way you're thinking is that every QB taken in the first round and/or propped up by the media has been a success. I think Tanny is a reach at #8 and this team has enough holes that they should be thinking BPA. If they do decide to take him I won't poo-poo the FO like some here will, only because Sherman has good knowledge of him, but if we are going to take a project QB we need to do it in the later rounds and go BPA.

Right now we are not in the best position to draft the best QB in the draft. The Colts are not giving up their pick and in order to get the best QB this year you will need to trade for the #1 spot.

So i would gladly be patient and wait to draft a franchise QB next year if necessary. I'm sick and tired of having all these leftovers at QB and thats exactly what Tannehill would be. He's not even the 2nd best QB in the draft and will still need time to develop (thats like drafting him next year anyway)....I want the best, so why not give Moore this season to prove himself and draft a QB in the later rounds of this draft. Then, make a move next year to move up in the draft and draft the best QB coming out of college, whether it be Landry Jones or someone else. That way, the players have one season under Philbins system and will help a rookie QB come in and start right away.

Right now we are not in the best position to draft the best QB in the draft. The Colts are not giving up their pick and in order to get the best QB this year you will need to trade for the #1 spot.

So i would gladly be patient and wait to draft a franchise QB next year if necessary. I'm sick and tired of having all these leftovers at QB and thats exactly what Tannehill would be. He's not even the 2nd best QB in the draft and will still need time to develop (thats like drafting him next year anyway)....I want the best, so why not give Moore this season to prove himself and draft a QB in the later rounds of this draft. Then, make a move next year to move up in the draft and draft the best QB coming out of college, whether it be Landry Jones or someone else. That way, the players have one season under Philbins system and will help a rookie QB come in and start right away.
Who says the team with the top pick next year will want to make a deal? Everyone wants the best QB, but "waiting until next year" every year just prevents getting anyone at all

Who says the team with the top pick next year will want to make a deal? Everyone wants the best QB, but "waiting until next year" every year just prevents getting anyone at all

This year we can only offer so much because we need to bring in Philbins players in the mix through the draft, so we need as much draft picks as possible...next year we may be more flexible in trading future picks for moving up to at least get the second best QB in the draft, one who can start right away and learn on the field

Back
Top Bottom