QB position may be up for grabs

gish

Mental Moonwalker
Reaction score
QB position may be up for grabs

By Greg A. Bedard
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 03, 2007

MIAMI BEACH  Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said Friday that he has spoken to all three quarterbacks on his roster, but wouldn't say whether his 2007 starter is in that group.

"The best way to answer it is we're taking it one step at a time with everyone on our roster," Cameron said. "You're best served focusing on the men that are on your roster. And that's what we're going to do. We're going to focus on these guys. And when that changes, you'll be the first to know."
Cameron said he's been "extremely impressed" with what he's seen from Daunte Culpepper so far, especially his penchant for working hard to rehabilitate his right knee at the team's training facility.

Cameron said Culpepper is not yet fully healthy but is "doing everything he can" to be ready for the team's mini-camps, which will likely start in April or May.

Still, despite saying that he and Culpepper are building a relationship, Cameron didn't seem to be throwing his weight behind Culpepper, who is joined on the roster by Cleo Lemon and Joey Harrington.

"That's just an interpretation - I've known the guy for two weeks," Cameron said. "For me to go one way or the other really isn't fair to him. For me to be overly positive with a guy you've known for two weeks, I mean, that's not real. And for me to be negative ...

"I'm going to base my opinion on any player in our locker room on what I see on a day-to-day basis. Obviously you know certain things about a guy. But for a lot of guys in this organization, this a chance to start over."

While he didn't come out and say it, Cameron seemed to indicate an open competition for the starting job may be in the offing.

"Here's how we'll do it," Cameron said. "We're going to all be in the same room. We're all going to look each other in the eye when we have that discussion.

"It's best we all look around the room and we say, 'Here is the approach. OK, men, let's go to work.' That will come out eventually, probably closer to our mini-camp. But now is not the time."

Mueller staying: Randy Mueller will remain the general manager of the Dolphins - at least until his contract ends in 2008. The Tennessee Titans were interested in talking to Mueller for their vacant GM position, but no interview ever took place. The Titans recently moved onto secondary interviews with their three finalists.

Noteworthy: A hacker installed malicious code on the official Dolphin Stadium Web site, but the script was found and erased within hours. The code, designed to secretly log keystrokes of the site's visitors, was confirmed to have been deleted by outside security firms. ... Cameron said he won't think about Ricky Williams' possible return to the team until the NFL decides on his reinstatement in April. ... Cameron also said Matt Schiotz has been hired as the Dolphins' strength coach. He was the Chargers' assistant strength coach.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/02/03/a11b_dolphins_notes_0203.html

That's the best way to approach the situation. I don't think it makes sense to name a starter now when he hasn't seen these guys on the field for himself. Plus everyone needs to feel like they have a chance to win it for it to be a true battle. I think Culpepper will emerge as the starter if he's healthy simply because I believe he possess more physical talent than the other two. However, I believe only two QBs will be kept and a rookie will be drafted to groom.

Back
Top Bottom