QB vs LT? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB vs LT?

NEW-ERA-PHIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The question goes as such?

Would it better to take Cutler in the first and miss out on one of the best OT drafts in a long time. Between Winston, Justice, McNeil, and Scott...all four could be top 10 pick in any year.

We could then run into the problem that many teams have like SF, HOU, etc. that have young QB's that get the **** beat out of them.

Now based on conversations on this board, we have argued for and against picking QB's in the first round.

Would you rather shore up the OL, and grab a project like Croyle, Jacobs, or Grabowski where your odds are not that much worse for success over Cutler. Or take Cutler in the first (if he is there) and go OL in the second or third?

My problem with taking Cutler is as such:
1. 1 of top two picks has to be on DEF.
2. A great OL makes any QB better, especially with a good running game which we will gave with Ricky and Ronnie.
3. If Cutler is so good, how does he fall to 16? I dont think it is a coincidence that most good QB are not taken in the mid-first. If he shows so much potential in the senior bowl and work outs, some team before has to grab him. If there are question marks then he should drop to late first mid second. If we could trade down and pick up another pick and take him in the late first early second and be able to pick another 2nd or 3rd pick, that would be ideal. That way we can address QB, OL, and DEF in the first 2 rounds. I just dont think an Offense with Chamber, McMichael, Ricky, and Ronnie needs a stud QB. I would be fine taking a Tackle. Running the ball down peoples through. Suring up DT, LB or CB in the second and third and giving Frereotte and Lemons a chance. Take a shot on Croyle or Jacobs and if neither shows us anything, make our absolute #1 prioity next year getting a QB either through FA or draft.

I'm more partial to going defense with our first pick and grabbing a DB if we miss out on Cutler. I saw a couple people mention Michael Huff and Jimmy Williams as two possibilities that Saban might be interested in with respect to first round talent at that position. Plus you could also go with Cromartie, who is pretty good imho and is said to be first round level talent. Also what about that OT that played for Saban at LSU? He is supposedly a second round pick and Saban might be more partial to players that he helped cultivate.

I'm for getting Cutler in the first, and the best o-lineman we can find in the second. The reason I say this is because I think that the type of o-lineman available in the second will be much much better than Jacobs, Croyle etc. (I've been hoping that Eric Winston will fall).
For example, I think that Cutler and a lineman is better 2 round value than Justice-Jacobs.

How about Jay Cutler in 1st and Andrew Whitworth in the second. We solve both QB and LT.

...why is it all ways"next year that we will draft our qb of the future" the way i see it is that cutler will have a good work out because he has a better throwing motion and is more accurate and has better arm strength...so vince young might falls to us. or we may get cutler if not thats ok cuz our new gm is good at getting late round qbs that turn out good so if they were both gone we would get a takle or a safety or a cb.. and wait till the 4 round or 3rd to get a guy like omar jacobs who should be good

also we can go qb or db in the first round and still have a great o -lineman come to us in the second round....also remember how good our new o-line coach is and i have a feel ing he wont be selfish and ask saban to draf6t a o-linemanin the 1st round unless he was going to be amazing...so if we do get a o-lineman in the 1st he will be graet but i have a feeling that he will get one that is his personal favorite in the second or third round

If Miami cannot get Culpepper or Brees in free agency, then I think they should trade up for Cutler. Cutler will most likely go in the top 10 picks. Miami will need to trade up to get him. It will probably cost them hefty, but Saban needs to make a bold move to get a solid QB in Miami.

I completely disagree that the odds are not that much worse for the other QBs you mentioned. Sometimes QBs with top 10 talent slip. When it happens you don't pass. As for the tackles, I actually think they are overrated. Generally, quality LTs are even harder to find than QBs but this year I think Cutler is a better player than Winston.

PublixSubsRule said:
...why is it all ways"next year that we will draft our qb of the future"

Thats what I've been saying, we've neglected that position for far too long.

mcteems said:
If Miami cannot get Culpepper or Brees in free agency.

Considering neither one is a FA(Brees is in talks for longterm deal) and it would cost us greatly to get one of them I think we should look to the draft.

That's a real good question and might be exactly what Saban is faced with come draft day. I say this. If Cutler is as good as advertised then you have to take him, even if you miss out on a potential elite LT. I do like the potential of second-tier guys like Jacobs and Croyle, though.

How about Cutler if possible in the 1st round. If he isn't there, then maybe Michael Huff or another 1st round DB if Huff isn't there.

In the 2nd round Daryn Colledge from Boise St. He has everything you need to play LT. Better LT prospect then Whitworth/Trueblood/Scott.

NEW-ERA-PHIN said:

Would it better to take Cutler in the first and miss out on one of the best OT drafts in a long time. Between Winston, Justice, McNeil, and Scott...all four could be top 10 pick in any year.

We could then run into the problem that many teams have like SF, HOU, etc. that have young QB's that get the **** beat out of them.

Now based on conversations on this board, we have argued for and against picking QB's in the first round.

Would you rather shore up the OL, and grab a project like Croyle, Jacobs, or Grabowski where your odds are not that much worse for success over Cutler. Or take Cutler in the first (if he is there) and go OL in the second or third?

2. A great OL makes any QB better, especially with a good running game which we will gave with Ricky and Ronnie.
3. If Cutler is so good, how does he fall to 16? I dont think it is a coincidence that most good QB are not taken in the mid-first. If he shows so much potential in the senior bowl and work outs, some team before has to grab him. If there are question marks then he should drop to late first mid second. If we could trade down and pick up another pick and take him in the late first early second and be able to pick another 2nd or 3rd pick, that would be ideal. That way we can address QB, OL, and DEF in the first 2 rounds. I just dont think an Offense with Chamber, McMichael, Ricky, and Ronnie needs a stud QB. I would be fine taking a Tackle. Running the ball down peoples through. Suring up DT, LB or CB in the second and third and giving Frereotte and Lemons a chance. Take a shot on Croyle or Jacobs and if neither shows us anything, make our absolute #1 prioity next year getting a QB either through FA or draft.

I agree with most of your post.

IMO Cutler is a reach at our pick and I would just as soon pick a QB later on but I will trust our FOs judgement on that.

If I was making the pick I would draft one of those top three LTs but Houck seems to be from the Jimmy Johnson school of thought whose basic rule is that you dont use high draft picks on OL .

So I think we will end up drafting a Defensive player with our first pick someone like Michael Huff perhaps.

I wouldnt mind trading down a few spots either as the first round is pretty deep.

NEW-ERA-PHIN said:

I think a lot depends on how they view Alabi. I am saying this only from what I have read on this site, specifically how highly Houck views Alabi. If that is true, then I don't see them spending a first round pick on a LT. I think they will definitely be looking at QB, and CD/S at this spot - but I would be very happy if they took an LT. I just think we need better tackles...but if Cutler does good it will be hard to pass him up for an o-lineman when Houck has been known to make they all pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom