Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

It's something I've heard about Murray. It comes from me. I have ZERO idea whether I can trust it though. Not exactly a rumor whose chain of evidence I can verify. Could be out of thin air. Never seen any corroboration anywhere. I do know Baker Mayfield loves him. That's at least one teammate who likes him. And if a guy was a total dick in the locker room, you'd think the guy above him that was most responsible for his being on the bench would be the most subject of his barbs. But like I said, Mayfield loves him.

I am chaining my wagon to this guy. Best QB highlights I have seen in a long time. His feet movement in the pocket (teachable) is lacking, but his arm talent (unteachable) is incredible. He reminds me of a young Philip Rivers / Marino gunslinger type.

image_handler.aspx

I am chaining my wagon to this guy. Best QB highlights I have seen in a long time. His feet movement in the pocket (teachable) is lacking, but his arm talent (unteachable) is incredible. He reminds me of a young Philip Rivers / Marino gunslinger type.

image_handler.aspx
So basically you’re chaining your wagon to the qb in the draft that’s most like Tannehill. Yeah no thanks. That feet movement in the pocket is reminiscent of Tannehill and how it was “teachable”. But to each their own.

Surely we can put the height issue to rest now? How many shorter QBs need to succeed in the NFL before we do?

What? The vast majority of good NFL QBs are 6'2 or taller. Aside from Brees and Wilson who's short and lighting it up?

And both those guys are bigger than Murray. Murray has a rifle for an arm and he's a great athlete but he's also TINY. I don't think can remember a qb as small as him do well in the NFL in the last decade or two.

As usual, the evaluation of these quarterbacks for me is years in the making, and is still yet incomplete, as we have some important steps in the process to finish. Not least of which is actually for the player to come out of school, as it is rumored for example that Justin Herbert still leans against coming out of Oregon.

Jordan Love (Utah State): This is probably the high level talent you haven't heard of yet. He's got elite arm talent, highly productive AND a winner at Utah State. He got both his head coach and offensive coordinator promotions, as they get to go coach at Texas Tech instead of Utah State. He took a huge, monstrous step forward this year, and he's only a redshirt sophomore. Known for having an even-keel during the games, for being able to throw every inch of the field with his arm talent, and for being a good physical athlete. When he's the runner, he protects himself from contact extraordinarily well, and yet he also blocks his *** off when the play needs it. He reminds me a lot of Patrick Mahomes. The question you'd have about him is that he was in an offense that revolved around two superior backs in Darwin Thompson and Gerald Bright, and you've got to wonder what's going to happen now that he's losing at least one of those, in addition to his top three receiving targets (all seniors), his offensive minded head coach, and his offensive coordinator. But this is where great players can step up.

Is Love eligible ? I thought he wasn't until next year ? If he is certainly add him to my list.

What? The vast majority of good NFL QBs are 6'2 or taller. Aside from Brees and Wilson who's short and lighting it up?

And both those guys are bigger than Murray. Murray has a rifle for an arm and he's a great athlete but he's also TINY. I don't think can remember a qb as small as him do well in the NFL in the last decade or two.

He is small you are right but you've really got to look beyond his height, watch how he plays, his height is not a limiting factor at all. You could argue that the NFL has much bigger bodies on the lines for him to have to contend with but, his line at Oklahoma is not small and he's not missing open guys down field because he can't see them, he's not have passes conastantly batted down.

Mayfield actually looks good as well.

There are so far NFL QBs who play the game at a consistent elite level, every single one of them are a lightning bolt from God, as Pat Riley would say. You can try your damnedest to get all pseudo-sciencey about it, trying to look at patterns and start drafting "rules" and claim that so-and-so is only an "exception" to the rule, but it's all bullsh-t. They're all exceptions. Every single great QB that has ever played the game, being among the best in the world to do something that is one of the hardest things in the world to do, is an "exception" to the rule.

And if you want to be an "exception" to the rule you damn well better be "exceptional". Can't think of a better word to describe Kyler Murray.

The one thing about Drew Lock that I like so much, is his knack for dropping his deep ball in the bucket. He does it with consistency. Love his deep ball accuracy. Unfortunately I wouldn't draft him in the 1st. There's a lot to like about him, but, there is also some holes in his game. He could eventually develop further with pro coaching? But not in the 1st round as a possible reach? Especially with the probability of passing on better and more productive defensive talent in round #1

Last edited:
So basically you’re chaining your wagon to the qb in the draft that’s most like Tannehill. Yeah no thanks. That feet movement in the pocket is reminiscent of Tannehill and how it was “teachable”. But to each their own.

Horrible assessment of what I said. Ryan Tannehill lacks pocket awareness... this guy does not. This guy is more like Roethlisberger in the pocket. Not fast but hard to take down because he is strong and gets rid of the ball quickly.

Drew Lock > Ryan Tannehill

Horrible assessment of what I said. Ryan Tannehill lacks pocket awareness... this guy does not. This guy is more like Roethlisberger in the pocket. Not fast but hard to take down because he is strong and gets rid of the ball quickly.

Drew Lock > Ryan Tannehill
If you say so. Like I said to each their own.

regardless if we draft a qb early or not i want trace mcsorely in like round 6...let him compete, worst case scenario hes a backup but he can scramble, he doesnt have the strongest arm but he has a winners mentality and gets it done...hes gotta be better than fales, i think hes worth a shot if hes available late

Back
Top Bottom