Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

How can you not love this kid, just look at these highlights, this tape could have been twice as long. The guy is a difference maker, sell the damn farm, sell your neighbours farm, give up your first born, do whatever you need to to grab this guy, that may mean going all the way to #1, Oakland on speed dial.

I've written pretty much the same in multiple threads now:

First Round be aggressive go after:

1. Murray (at this point, I would be shocked if he chose baseball, think he's just waiting on those evaluations before he'll tell the world he's declaring) - This kid is absolutely legit he is a franchise changer, sell the farm for him. He was the best QB in college football this year, crazy stats both with arm and legs, bettered Mayfield's numbers from last year. His size will be a concern, but if you watch him play you'll see it really shouldn't.

2. Haskins - Has everything you look for in a QB, early in the year he announced that he was declaring, most folks including me thought that was too early, and that he needed another year. Suffered a bad loss at Purdue, but then the Maryland game happened, he put his team on his back and accounted for 6 tds !, The next game was against the #3 Wolverines, one of the best D's in college football, he destroyed them with 7tds, then the Big 10 Champ games rolls along, another 6 TDs. He's broken all QB records in the big 10. The kid is ready, hope he sticks with his original decision to declare, there is doubt now. But I would again be ultra aggressive to get him.

3. Herbert - Not as high on him as the other two, but he's going to be a star, has everything you want but I think he'll stay in school, which is absolutely the wrong thing for him to do.

4. Lock - He's got first round talent, some knocks on him, others aren't very high, notably Slimm who "doesn't trust him", there are questions on his focus, he may not hate to lose enough. But I watched a lot of him down the stretch last year and he was hugely impressive, he's very mobile and has a huge arm. Threw for more yards and TDs in the SEC than Manning. I would take him if he is there at our spot in the first.

5. Grier - Solid 2nd round pick, he's probably not got the arm that you look for but he competes and his stats were off the charts last year.

6. Minshew - Watched a lot of him all year, he came from the same program as Falk (air raid Washington State), he tore it up and outplayed Herbert in their match up with Oregon. Great character, was going into coaching but changed paths to graduate transfer and give starting a final chance at Wazzu. His stats for the year are crazy and the kid can play but he is very much a one year wonder, maybe a product of the air raid scheme there and had a awful outing in his last game against Washington (in terrible weather) that preventing them going to the Pac12 champ game. I would take a flyer though on him in later rounds.

the Rest. Stick, Finley, Jones, Thorsen - Haven't seen enough of any them to make a judgement.

I wuld suggest everyone pays close attention to the bowl season games, there are some great match ups and this is a great chance to see some of these kids compete.
Although I haven't seen a lot of him, Murray is incredibly exciting as a prospect. Lamar Jackson with more accuracy. Defenses simply can't match his athletic ability and that really opens up a lot of deep opportunities. He's 5-10 so that's the major drawback. He doesn't necessarily look like someone who can take a lot of hits. Otherwise, he looks like everything you'd want. I love athletic qb's and wish Miami would have done more with Tannehill's ability to run for yardage.

I like Finley as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think he's more in the Kirk Cousins range talent wise.

I don't like Grier or Jackson. Grier has that Tannehill age situation where he's still playing college football beyond his 23rd birthday. Sucker material. No matter what it looks like, the upside is probably lower. Sam Darnold is two years younger than Will Grier.

Maybe if Grier is available lower it would be okay. Just don't make the Tannehill mistake with a high pick.

Tyree Jackson is one of the most bizarre prospects I have ever seen at any position. His soft lanky frame looks like a reserve forward on a lousy college basketball team. The type who never plays unless it is an extreme blowout in either direction, and the home crowd enjoys his entrance because he's so goofy looking and awkward.

Jackson has the facial expressions of a junior high kid who is asked to see the principal but has no idea why. You could praise him for something or accuse him of something and he wouldn't be able to differentiate.

There is some big play ability there. That's his strength. Wing it. You don't want him trying to make multiple correct decisions and matriculate down the field.

The Ohio State kid Haskins makes the most sense but he also has the most buzz and figures to be gone long before where we are slated to pick.

Also the South Carolina kid Bentley is interesting, if he decides to declare. Very competitive player, unlike Tannehill. Somewhat like Dak Presott in that his stats within SEC play are very good and could indicate that the player is undervalued. Nobody picked apart Clemson's defense like Bentley did.

Herbert from Oregon was not highly recruited. More frail than my tastes. Sort of a finesse player. Something bothers me about how tough he'll be in the NFL. But plenty of tools.

I don't like Daniel Jones from Duke, after seeing him twice in person against the Canes. Not an aware player at all, though he looks the part physically and has risen on some charts. It's true that Cutcliffe offenses seldom feature high yards per attempt but Daniel Jones takes it to a new level. I couldn't imagine picking a quarterback high when he has never managed above 6.6 YPA for a college season and has so many games below 5 YPA and even below 4 YPA. Three of Jones' last 4 games were 4.0 YPA or lower, including a 59-7 home defeat to Wake Forest. Now that is tough to do.

I can't comment on Lock from Missouri because I seldom watch Missouri. I don't like wagering on their games because that team seldom cooperates when I bet with them or against them.

The top guys in the Draft Forum take it to a different level. These are merely my observations while attending some games and wagering on lots of games.

So funny how all the guys constantly tearing you down are so silent today. Thx for posting here. Right or wrong your insight is appreciated

Oh to witness Murray hooking up deep with sure-handed Stills or Parker, the speedster. Hard Rock will explode with crazy, jubilant fans in 2019!

Deal hard for Murray FO, he is clearly the man.

Anybody can watch the national semi-final between NDSU Bison and the SDSU bunnie wabbits, it's on youtube.

Easton Stick out shines Taryn Christian like the sun compared to the moon. They shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Christian will never be in the NFL because the guy can't take a hit. Every team in the MVFC knew if they could get some licks on Christian they had a shot at winning the game.

Stick, on the other hand is all of 225 and he runs like a RB. He is a punishing runner and humiliated tacklers in the FCS for three years. Stick is the real deal, but I wouldn't want him starting as a rookie. He could probably use a couple years and then become the next Aaron Rogers. An excellent QB's coach could do wonders with Stick's raw talents,elite character and work ethic(I mean off the charts discipline and hard work),his genius IQ,strong arm, and RB skills. Make no mistake, Easton Stick is a superior form of the human being.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes #1 overall, if it's a Mayfield situation again where we have no shot.

There are so far NFL QBs who play the game at a consistent elite level, every single one of them are a lightning bolt from God, as Pat Riley would say. You can try your damnedest to get all pseudo-sciencey about it, trying to look at patterns and start drafting "rules" and claim that so-and-so is only an "exception" to the rule, but it's all bullsh-t. They're all exceptions. Every single great QB that has ever played the game, being among the best in the world to do something that is one of the hardest things in the world to do, is an "exception" to the rule.

And if you want to be an "exception" to the rule you damn well better be "exceptional". Can't think of a better word to describe Kyler Murray.
Also great way to describe the anthisis of Ryan Tannehill. Look past the numbers, something missing.

All i know is the next qb better have the gift of improvisation in the tool box or dont bring it.
Would you say QB instinct or feel is synonymous with improvisation?
All of this he lacks- pocket presence, feel, improv, maybe killer instinct- idk.

“Easton Stick is the best player in college football. Period,” said head coach Chris Klieman. “He is the best player in college football.”

Anybody can watch the national semi-final between NDSU Bison and the SDSU bunnie wabbits, it's on youtube.

Easton Stick out shines Taryn Christian like the sun compared to the moon. They shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Christian will never be in the NFL because the guy can't take a hit. Every team in the MVFC knew if they could get some licks on Christian they had a shot at winning the game.

Stick, on the other hand is all of 225 and he runs like a RB. He is a punishing runner and humiliated tacklers in the FCS for three years. Stick is the real deal, but I wouldn't want him starting as a rookie. He could probably use a couple years and then become the next Aaron Rogers. An excellent QB's coach could do wonders with Stick's raw talents,elite character and work ethic(I mean off the charts discipline and hard work),his genius IQ,strong arm, and RB skills. Make no mistake, Easton Stick is a superior form of the human being.
He is my favorite. Looking forward to the final game, combine, etc. He's been improving all year.

Back
Top Bottom