Quarterbacks In The Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft

there is no reason to tank at all you have to give the fans worth there money to come watch the team plus we don't need a number one overall pick

Ill be happy to kick the tires on any of those guys but if they dont show it in a season or 2 no need to have them around like RT for 7 years "waiting" for them to magically become a NFL QB. Its obvious in 16 games as to their abilities and talent level to make it happen under center...Heck in Marinos case we knew in 1 game the guy was special. Not saying the next guy has to be Marino but a Chad Henne type stands out just as much after a few games in that you know he is a waste of a pick.

One other point about Jones you left off...He is a smart player. Id bet the farm he already knows all the AFC teams AND NFC teams including division breakdowns. RT didnt even know who was in his on division season 1 so they say. Seriously though...I think Jones will be a heady player in the vein of Manning,Brees & Rivers IMO and read defenses quickly while throwing to open man.

Last edited:
Elite or consistent high level NFL quarterbacks don't grow on trees. It's one of the hardest things to do in sport.

I only see four in the college landscape that I see getting to that level. It just so happens that one of them COULD be available in this draft. Two of them could be available next year, and the last won't be available until 2021 at the earliest. They are Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm, and Trevor Lawrence.

I do see two more guys with the ceilings to get there, if they keep adding pieces to their games. They are Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. Would it surprise me greatly if either continued growing and became another Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, or even Patrick Mahomes, in the right situation? Nope.

The other guys in this 2019 class, the top guys being Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Easton Stick, they're worth taking a chance on. They might pan out. But I would honestly be legit shocked if any single one of the three turns out to be better than any single one of the four I mentioned above. The ceiling just isn't there. I could see one or two of them ending up better than Herbert or Love, if the latter two do not grow.

But even with Dwayne Haskins, there's just too much ordinary there, as opposed to extraordinary. There's too much, "qualified," as opposed to "over-qualified". He doesn't look like an exception to the rule. He looks like the rule.

At the end of the Washington game tonight, he was a deer in headlights during the 4th quarter while Jake Browning brought his team back from the brink and came on like a freight train. Haskins went 3 of 7 for 13 yards with a -6 yard sack. And the yardage came on a simple swing pass that went 14 yards due to good blocking and the defense losing contain.

Compare that with Tua Tagovailoa against Oklahoma. When Kyler Murray scored that touchdown to bring it to 31-20, and looked like he was really starting to get hot, do you know what Tua did? He went 8 of 8 for 88 yards and 2 TDs with a 4 yard run for the rest of the game. He heated up and put the Sooners to away, despite Murray becoming unstoppable.

Now tell me you really expect Dwayne Haskins to ever be in company with Tua Tagovailoa.

Last edited:
No...every draft has QB’s and we can’t wait...scout and find the gem in this draft...we don’t have years to throw away.

How has that worked out for the past 20 years?

Profootballtalk talking Haskins up at the #1 pick. But saying realistically you just have to trade up in front of the Giants.

I liked what I saw from Murray the other day. He showed poise despite his OL being overwhelmed most of the night by Bama's front. My concern with him would be durability at his size considering his style of play. I think he'd really need to hit the weight room in order to take the punishment over the course of an NFL season.

Haskins can make all the throws and look the part, but... and maybe this is because I've been traumatized after having to watch Henne and Tannehill, I put a premium on pocket presence and I feel like Haskins' most impressive throws come when he has all day to throw the ball. From what I've seen, he doesn't look nearly as good when he has to move in the pocket. Which is to be expected, but I think there's a glaring discrepancy there that's a cause for concern. Considering the current status of our interior OL, I have my reservations with him due to that.

Elite or consistent high level NFL quarterbacks don't grow on trees. It's one of the hardest things to do in sport.

I only see four in the college landscape that I see getting to that level. It just so happens that one of them COULD be available in this draft. Two of them could be available next year, and the last won't be available until 2021 at the earliest. They are Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm, and Trevor Lawrence.

I do see two more guys with the ceilings to get there, if they keep adding pieces to their games. They are Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. Would it surprise me greatly if either continued growing and became another Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, or even Patrick Mahomes, in the right situation? Nope.

The other guys in this 2019 class, the top guys being Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Easton Stick, they're worth taking a chance on. They might pan out. But I would honestly be legit shocked if any single one of the three turns out to be better than any single one of the four I mentioned above. The ceiling just isn't there. I could see one or two of them ending up better than Herbert or Love, if the latter two do not grow.

But even with Dwayne Haskins, there's just too much ordinary there, as opposed to extraordinary. There's too much, "qualified," as opposed to "over-qualified". He doesn't look like an exception to the rule. He looks like the rule.

At the end of the Washington game tonight, he was a deer in headlights during the 4th quarter while Jake Browning brought his team back from the brink and came on like a freight train. Haskins went 3 of 7 for 13 yards with a -6 yard sack. And the yardage came on a simple swing pass that went 14 yards due to good blocking and the defense losing contain.

Compare that with Tua Tagovailoa against Oklahoma. When Kyler Murray scored that touchdown to bring it to 31-20, and looked like he was really starting to get hot, do you know what Tua did? He went 8 of 8 for 88 yards and 2 TDs with a 4 yard run for the rest of the game. He heated up and put the Sooners to away, despite Murray becoming unstoppable.

Now tell me you really expect Dwayne Haskins to ever be in company with Tua Tagovailoa.

Washington never sniffed Haskins until the fourth. He looked ok tonight but it was just ok. He should have carved them up all game even though Washington's secondary is good. 7 points in the second half left me uninspired.

All the knocks on Haskins are valid, but I think a lot of people are also forgetting this is his only year playing college football.

Is he 100% blossomed and ready for the NFL? No. But he's pretty much guaranteed to be the first guy off the board and he's making the smart financial decision to do so

Now of course it's easier to project Fromm w/ 3 years experience, tua w/ 3, and Lawrence w/ 3 to be better in the NFL compared to Haskins right now who has 1. It's not hard to do that

That's what makes Haskins projection so tough. He has the tools and he has flashed briliance at times this year, but he is nowhere near done growing.

Personally, I think it's a little short-sighted to assume Haskins won't grow into more of a mature player than he is right now.

But again, all the knocks on him are valid to this point

I had a buddy say to me the other day he thinks you "have" to be mobile to keep up at QB in the NFL anymore. I don't totally agree but it was an interesting thought. I don't think a traditional pocket passer will ever go out of style but off-script is surely the "in" thing right now

Back
Top Bottom