Question about December | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about December

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
Let's say the Dolphins beat the Cowboys on Turkey Day, then go 2-2 in December, for a final record of 10-6 and the 6th and final play-off spot in the AFC. Is this a December collapse? I am asking simply because the Dolphins have had .500 records in December in recent years and it has been considered a collapse. I guess in past years a so-so December record has either 1) dropped the Dolphins in play-off seeding, 2) dropped them from a division title to a Wild Card, or 3) dropped them out of the play-offs altogether. So in this case, the Dolphins would merely hold onto the spot they had going in. Thoughts?

all we can hope for is that 6th playoff spot this year, so no IMO it w/not be considered a dec swoon; but either would 10-6 be considered something to expect a SB appearance from. For this team to show it is a great team we need to end up no worse than 11-5 IMO

As I recall, the past couple of years Miami has entered December in position to win the division and a bye, and either limped in as a wildcard or missed out altogether.

This year, starting from a different position, I'd consider just hanging on to get into the playoffs at all to be OK, as far as December goes.

The december swoons that the media refers to are really .500 decembers or 2-3 on a long december. but they dont mention that 20 something other teams swoon all season long. whats the diff? the media doesnt like us and will always kiss the backside of northern teams that are situated right in there backside.

BTW, how bout new englands swooon after going 5-0 or whatever it was that they did and beat us and went home and found out that they were not going to the playoffs?:lol: :lol: thats what i find really funny.

How bout the circling wagon buffalo bills who swoon all season long?:lol:

Originally posted by finfan54
The december swoons that the media refers to are really .500 decembers or 2-3 on a long december. but they dont mention that 20 something other teams swoon all season long. whats the diff? the media doesnt like us and will always kiss the backside of northern teams that are situated right in there backside.

:lol:

That is exactly what I tell everyone else. At least we play good and win the majority of the season!

You could look at it this way:

To be in a position to 'swoon,' you would be in contention for the playoffs, otherwise nobody cares how you do in December. So you've almost certainly played above .500 up to that point, probably by more than a game or even two.

If you then finish the year in December playing just .500, you've finished weaker than you've played all season.

I can't quite understand how 2001 was considered a collapse. I mean we won our last two games and got into the playoffs because of it...

Originally posted by Jaj
I can't quite understand how 2001 was considered a collapse. I mean we won our last two games and got into the playoffs because of it...

Miami started 9-3 and looked headed for the division and a bye (much the way things looked last year after the Oakland game).

The next two games, they got shut out in San Francisco and effectively lost the division to the Patriots the next week. The final two wins (over the 7-7 Falcons and 3-12 Bills) salvaged a wildcard, true -- but it was a disappointment following the 9-3 start.

Yes, I would call 2-2 a late season let down. If we beat the Jets and Bills and lose to two good teams, NE and Philly, that wouldn't prove anything. We need to go 3-1 with the loss going to Philly. if we lose any of the other 3 games I will be disapointed. They are divisional games that we need in order to shoot at winning the division.

We have a shot at it, and that's what we should be aiming for, not backing into the playoffs as the 6th seed. We need to be hot going into the playoffs this season.

Originally posted by dolphan39
all we can hope for is that 6th playoff spot this year, so no IMO it w/not be considered a dec swoon; but either would 10-6 be considered something to expect a SB appearance from. For this team to show it is a great team we need to end up no worse than 11-5 IMO
what do you mean "all we can hope for is 6th" i don't know but the pattsies have to play indy then the fins ... if they lose to the colts which is very possible and we beat them which i think is very possible as well then we'll have the tie breaker against them cause we have a better division record than they do , then we'll win the division and become the 3 rd and maybe the 2 nd seed with alittle luck. which ever way you look at it the fins hold their playoff picture in their own hands ... anyways i still think the fins are playing better than pattsies , the only difference is that the pattsies always have the refs on their side , so if the fins do end up losing (which i don't think so ) it'll probably be a ref who wins it for the pattsies like always .

lol we should have beat the pats.. TWICE! i know we can beat them. they don't have an easy schedule. i think miami must win out (or only lose 1 to go 11-5) and we'll win the division.

Dallas- we'll win...
NE- should have beat them before, and will this time
Philly- toughest team we play the last 5 games IMO.. it's monday night nuff said
Bills- who?
Jets- 21-10 spanking week 2... now we get a home game in the end to close the deal. we'll beat them. they couldn't stop ricky and won't then.

Back
Top Bottom