Question About Rookies | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question About Rookies

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
This last week there was a story about 21 rookies pitching in and painting houses, which is a great idea, but it brought up a question ...

I have often wondered about the rookies status as far as working out with the teams, etc, when they are not under contract. It would appear that many of them are here and working out (otherwise, how are they participating in this community project? - Unless the team flew them down). I know some went back to school after the 1st mini-camp to graduate, and that the Q-B school is not for rookies, at least the unsigned ones. So, what are they doing down here and how are they living here without a contract?

It's not a big deal, it just raised a lot of questions about the status of our rookies before they are signed and how much they actually work out with the team, etc. I always assumed they were at home working out, waiting until they were under contract, except for the mini-camps they came to. Anyone have any inside info on this? Thanks.

The undrafted free agents are already signed. Most draft picks get an injury waiver signed before the first mini-camp which guarantees them the bonus/pay for the slot from last year plus what ever percentage the two sides agree on.
As to what they are living on? personal funds and advances from agents. An agent will sometimes advance a drafted rookie money (at interest of course) based on their projected signing bonus. Keep in mind the bonus/salary of a player is almost comepletely set by where they are drafted. The negotiations after the first round or two are mostly for other items such as incentives, work out clauses, etc.

Originally posted by OzziePhin
Don't they sign waivers or something?

OzziePhin,

Welcome Aboard!
I think you'll find this to be the best Dol-Fan Site on the web, with the best members. Feel free to take advantage of all that FinHeaven has to offer.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, don't hesitate to come to either AJ or myself, or any of our Mods or Mentors... we're always happy to help in any way we can!

Again, glad to have you, and hope to see you continue posting!

Go Fins!

Jon

Thankyou for the welcome Jon...appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom