Question about Tannehill | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about Tannehill

hemidemon

Starter
Reaction score
Is he a WR playing QB, or is he a QB that played WR? Personally I think he's a QB that played WR. I know he lacks starts and made some bad decisions that resulted in some picks, but I think this kid has what it takes to be a very good NFL QB. The mistakes this kid made are correctable. I'd like to know what you think?

I think he's a athletic kid who can play both WR and QB, obviously he wants to play the latter. It probably helps him on understanding the routes his receivers are running, but nonetheless I don't see him as anywhere near experienced/accomplished enough as playing QB to be a top 10 pick. I'd much rather see us trade down and take Brandon Weeden.

I think this article should clear some confusion in regards to why Tannehill played WR for Texas A&M.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...t-quarterback-wide-receiver-experience-041712
After redshirting his freshman season, head coach Mike Sherman sat Tannehill and fellow Aggies quarterback Jerrod Johnson down in his office.
“He told us that Stephen McGee would be the starter in 2008 and that one of us would be the backup. He also asked if we’d be willing to give wideout a shot,” Tannehill recalls. “I figured, ‘Well, I certainly don’t want to sit the bench the entire season. Why not?’ I just wanted to get on the field.”

So, Tannehill made the move to wide receiver. And guess what? At 6-4, he was pretty darn good. He caught 55 passes for 844 yards in his redshirt freshman season, the first time playing the position. The following year, he had 46 receptions for 609 yards and scored four touchdowns with Johnson playing quarterback.

“I loved playing receiver, but I never really viewed myself as a receiver," Tannehil said. "I was always a quarterback playing receiver. I didn't attend a single wide receivers' meeting while in college, either. That was important. Coach Sherman always had me in the quarterback meetings, even when I was the third-string quarterback and a starting wide receiver.”

He practiced all week at quarterback, learned how to operate Sherman's offense inside and out, then went out and starred at the wide receiver spot on Saturdays.

He has more skill than just a WR that happened to make the switch to QB and do well. I am not sold that he is leaps and bounds above Weeden, Osweiler etc...but just the fact that he is mentioned in that company makes him more than just a WR masquerading at QB. If he was a WR playing QB I doubt he would have come close to the numbers he put up as a Junior and Seinor in College.

Does it mean he will be a good NFL starter, I don't know but he is a QB and not a WR.

Rivals rated Tanny coming out of HS as the nation's "No. 21 dual-threat quarterback." Oddly enough, in his senior HS year, Matt Moore was rated #8 by Scout and Superprep and #11 by Rivals in the nation.

He was recruited as a QB....there was another QB who Sherman wanted to look at, so Sherman asked Tannehill if he was willing to play WR....to me this shows that the kid is willing to do whatever it takes to help teams out. Many guys who don't get to play their position in college end up pouting or transferring to other schools. One other nice thing about Tannehill is we could always have him lineup as a WR if we run some kind of wildcat or trick play.

Back
Top Bottom