Question about the 72 Dolphins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about the 72 Dolphins?

We could talk about Larry Csonka, Bob Griese and Paul Warfield.

Bill Stanfill posted 18 sacks in a 14 game season...the safeties were great!

Csonka and Griese were my favorite players then!
Those are the proper names. I would add Larry Little and Dick Anderson

Very difficult between Csonka, Griese and Warfield on offense. I don't think defense is particularly close...Bill Stanfill. I watched him on every play, along with trying to watch the cornerbacks Curtis Johnson and Tim Foley immediate take the legs out of the wide receivers. That was such a treat that the subsequent rules changes eliminated.

I'm going to stick with Griese on offense. He is absurdly underrated around here. The offense was on fumes late season and in the 6 playoff quarters before Griese entered after halftime at Pittsburgh. He almost immediately hit Warfield with the patented slant pass that rambled deep into Steelers territory and totally changed the feel and course of that game.

Very difficult between Csonka, Griese and Warfield on offense. I don't think defense is particularly close...Bill Stanfill. I watched him on every play, along with trying to watch the cornerbacks Curtis Johnson and Tim Foley immediate take the legs out of the wide receivers. That was such a treat that the subsequent rules changes eliminated.

I'm going to stick with Griese on offense. He is absurdly underrated around here. The offense was on fumes late season and in the 6 playoff quarters before Griese entered after halftime at Pittsburgh. He almost immediately hit Warfield with the patented slant pass that rambled deep into Steelers territory and totally changed the feel and course of that game.
I have to disagree. Griese was not great. He was good, very good, but not great.

Griese is definitely underrated. He has his leg broken and suffers a dislocated ankle in game five of the Perfect Season but still comes back for that AFC Championship game. Earl Morrall did his part as well to save that season too.

The reality is that the Dolphins of the early 70’s were great because they were a complete team. They had great players on offense and defense and it is extremely difficult to say one player was better than all the rest. I was fortunate enough to sit in the stadium and watch all of the home games for the 1972 Dolphins and on any given Sunday there were excellent plays from numerous players on offense and defense.

There are 6 players from the 1972 team which are in the HOF and yet Jake Scott and Dick Anderson are not included in this group, even though they are probably the greatest safeties In Miami Dolphin history. i don’t have any idea who the best player was but I do know that I was extremely lucky to be able to watch either in person or on TV the greatest team in NFL history.

I was about the same age. Loved that team.

The great thing about that group was that it really was a team with so many good, unselfish players.

Coming up with the top two is difficult, but I'd say Csonka and Warfield.

Back
Top Bottom