Question about the 72 Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about the 72 Dolphins?

First time I watched the team (like 13 in '71) I was blown away by that #39 dude!
Always have to say him... But they were damn good players top to bottom.
The thing about Csonka is he was the size of some defensive linemen back then.

Miami gave him the football 33 times in Super Bowl VIII, which means Shula basically put the game in his hands.

I know most of you were not around then. I fell in love with that team when I was 7 years old. I could name every player. My question for you is who was the best player on that team? I have my favorite, but I believe it comes down to two guys. I’m just curious if others remember it the way I do. I appreciate any responses from people that loved that team like I did.
IMHO, the best player on the team was Larry Csonka. He was the cornerstone of our offense, which was the strongest element of our team.

Jake Scott and Bill Stanfill were also Georgia Bulldogs, so I’m a little biased there.
YOUR a bulldog fan?.....sorry about yesterday man..did not know...

Probably go with Csonka and Nick B. Nick because he was the quarterback of the whole defense. But I would have to say that team defined what team was, they played so well together than they would have on a different team. Credit Shula, Arnsparger, and the players for that. Liked Scott and Anderson a lot. Best safety combo ever.

Probably go with Csonka and Nick B. Nick because he was the quarterback of the whole defense. But I would have to say that team defined what team was, they played so well together than they would have on a different team. Credit Shula, Arnsparger, and the players for that. Liked Scott and Anderson a lot. Best safety combo ever.
Glad you mentioned Nick Buoniconti. And that his name populated!

I would say that Warfield was the most talented. But back then, it was a different game. Running the ball was the way to go on offense so Warfield was underused and underappreciated.
Such an unselfish player. I could be a little off on these numbers, but I believe one year he caught 33 passes with 11 for touchdowns.

Warfield was vital to Miami's historic running game, though. His ability to get deep made it impossible for safeties to cheat up.

Griese and Czonka. I realize Earl carried us when Bob went down in 72 but Griese was a true hall of famer.

Zonk and KiicK......notice Zonk shootting the bird in that SI cover?
Those are the proper names. I would add Larry Little and Dick Anderson

Very difficult between Csonka, Griese and Warfield on offense. I don't think defense is particularly close...Bill Stanfill. I watched him on every play, along with trying to watch the cornerbacks Curtis Johnson and Tim Foley immediate take the legs out of the wide receivers. That was such a treat that the subsequent rules changes eliminated.

I'm going to stick with Griese on offense. He is absurdly underrated around here. The offense was on fumes late season and in the 6 playoff quarters before Griese entered after halftime at Pittsburgh. He almost immediately hit Warfield with the patented slant pass that rambled deep into Steelers territory and totally changed the feel and course of that game.
No doubt...I remember Bradshaw getting interviewed in the late 70’s in the height of the Steeler run...stating clearly when asked that Griese was the best in the game! Younger fans still don’t realize Griese called his own plays!

People today look at the numbers and don’t realize the rules changes that changed the game so drastically...how different the physicality of cornerbacks was due to all the contact that is now illegal.

Griese and Czonka. I realize Earl carried us when Bob went down in 72 but Griese was a true hall of famer.
We had to go play that Great Steeler team in the AFC championship game...Bob came off the injury at halftime and won that game!

In Pittsburgh......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom