Question about the 72 Dolphins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about the 72 Dolphins?

Thank god a mature, no nonsense, post. Faith is easily lost here due to immaturity/stupidity. I love this site and will defend it to the end, but there is lost in translation with younglings. I came out the womb a Marino fan, die hard Dolphins fan thick or thin ever since. Wish the Barry Sanders trade happened. Yeah, that was a thing to those reading and surprised.

I know most of you were not around then. I fell in love with that team when I was 7 years old. I could name every player. My question for you is who was the best player on that team? I have my favorite, but I believe it comes down to two guys. I’m just curious if others remember it the way I do. I appreciate any responses from people that loved that team like I did.
Csonka

I was 5 and for me Csonka and Manny.My favorite book Always on the run ,
a bio. of Kiick and Csonka for those of you who read it "Get the Hat".Living in
Buffalo made life difficult in the 70s being a diehard Dolphin fan.Special shout
out to Howard Twilley 5ft nothing 100 and nothing and probably a 5.0 forty
but he was always open and very clutch

I know most of you were not around then. I fell in love with that team when I was 7 years old. I could name every player. My question for you is who was the best player on that team? I have my favorite, but I believe it comes down to two guys. I’m just curious if others remember it the way I do. I appreciate any responses from people that loved that team like I did.
Mercury and Warfield. They were electric! Take note Flo!

No wrong answers here

Welcome to all the new posters

Lots of great comments not just here but on the site in general

Todays fans look at stats from the 1970's and dismiss players like Griese, Staubach and Tarkenton.

But the game was dominated by defense back then, with rules that made passing the ball tough. A 55 percent completion percentage during that time period was pretty good. A quarterback rating of 80 could lead the league.

Griese was the best I ever saw at drawing the defense offside. He did all the little things that helped Miami win.

same age as me,except i only like the dolphin sticker at the time

Todays fans look at stats from the 1970's and dismiss players like Griese, Staubach and Tarkenton.

But the game was dominated by defense back then, with rules that made passing the ball tough. A 55 percent completion percentage during that time period was pretty good. A quarterback rating of 80 could lead the league.

Griese was the best I ever saw at drawing the defense offside. He did all the little things that helped Miami win.
And..again...he called his own plays!

How many do that? Ever?

Manny Fernandez and Csonka. I still have my Scholastic Book Club copy of "Griese/Csonka: The Miami Dolphins' One-Two Punch"

View attachment 62602
Damn, it was great being a kid back then. All I ever ordered thru Scholastic were sports books. I had that one too, bet I read it a dozen times. Used to love those annual 'All-Pro Football (Basketball, Baseball) Stars' books.

We had at least one more super bowl with them if some of them hadn't have defected to the new football league. But nice to see Csonka come back one last time.

Zonk and Scott for me too.....But I thought Shula walked on water back then. Absolutely loved him. The first game I ever saw was them winning the Super Bowl to go undefeated. I’ve been a fan since.

And..again...he called his own plays!

How many do that? Ever?
Another area where he was excellent. So unselfish too. Can you imagine calling your own number seven times in a super bowl?

He knew the Vikings couldn't stop the run game, so he picked his spots. Ultimate team player.

Damn, it was great being a kid back then. All I ever ordered thru Scholastic were sports books. I had that one too, bet I read it a dozen times. Used to love those annual 'All-Pro Football (Basketball, Baseball) Stars' books.
I had no chance of actually attending a game in the 70s so those books were everything to me. That is why I held onto my copies of "Football Stars of 1972 and 1973", even after reading them hundreds of times. Csonka and Larry Brown are on the cover of '73. Griese and Roger Staubach share the '72 cover.

Back
Top Bottom