Question for Ozzy or DCH... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question for Ozzy or DCH...

Baz

Ephemeral
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you had any information on how Arturo Freeman is coming along in the SS spot? Is he holding up against the run well? If he isn't doing as well as hoped, is there any thoughts on bringing Victor Green in for a workout?

no offense dude....but how in the h*ll are they supposed to know whether he is holding up against the run or not? They don't have pads on yet.....it's impossible to tell at this point.
clear.gif

Remember this article from Sporting News.

"For the most part, defense stays intact"

For the second consecutive year the Dolphins have been able to keep most of their defense together, which is important to a team that will still win with its defense.

Defensive end Kenny Mixon (Minnesota) and strong safety Brian Walker (Detroit) were lost to free agency, but the club almost expected to lose those two. By re-signing Brock Marion (and they have a decent shot of keeping defensive end Lorenzo Bromell), defensive coordinator Jim Bates will need to work in only two new starters.

One is Arturo Freeman replacing Walker, but Freeman played a lot last year and his ready for his new role. The other could be moving Daryl Gardener to defensive end.

From a previous article:

Arturo Freeman, who is entering his third year, will be the strong safety. He has spent most of his time at free in his career, but the spots are almost interchangeable. A very good athlete, Freeman has good coverage skills. He must stay more disciplined in his run support. He tends to overrun plays and miss tackles, but the team thinks he is a keeper. . . .

Basically: At safety, Arturo Freeman proved he could play either spot last season, though he needs to improve his tackling. He takes bad angles too many times

Hopefully he improves in that area. But other than that, we should be alright with him there

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point inFINsible, I forgot that pads weren't on yet. I hadn't heard anything about him, so I was wondering about it. Has Victor Green been signed by anyone yet? I thought he would be a hot commodity when he was released, but I guess not.

Victor Green has ZERO coverage skills and has lost a step in run support. I really don't think he would be a good fit with us at all because he can only playy one of the safety positions, and in our defense you need to be able to play both.

He is overrated, and always has been in my opinion.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Victor Green has ZERO coverage skills and has lost a step in run support. I really don't think he would be a good fit with us at all because he can only playy one of the safety positions, and in our defense you need to be able to play both.

He is overrated, and always has been in my opinion.
Victor Green would not make the team.

Originally posted by BMarion31
I was just wondering if you had any information on how Arturo Freeman is coming along in the SS spot? Is he holding up against the run well? If he isn't doing as well as hoped, is there any thoughts on bringing Victor Green in for a workout?

Well, it is nearly impossible to tell during a Mini Camp or Qb School, but I think I can help just a little bit here.

Freeman has worked extensively with the first team, and is constantly talking with Marion on assignments and placement. One thing he has going for him is the Defense has not changed except a few tweaks, but this year is supposed to be different with some new blitz packages they've added. The one change in the secondary just so happens to involve Freeman, with the safeties moving up for some needed run support! The SS will need to be a Sure Tackler!

I really see Freeman as more of a FS, but do like him very much.

Where I really might help you is that the Coaches must think he is doing very well, to have not even entertained any Safeties! Instead there looking for a Cb.........

I'll be looking at SS very hard during the upcoming Training Camp.

I also thought of him more of a FS, which is why I asked. If he is playing the SS positiion well, thats great, one less problem. However, I'd be lying if i said I wasn't a little worried about him taking the punishment of tackling runningbacks.

Back
Top Bottom