Question For The Old Timers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For The Old Timers

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
After hearing about Dominic Rhodes blowing out his knee the other day (torn ACL), it just brought up a question I've had for a long time.

Did guys sprain ACL's 20 years ago??

I mean, you never hear about it happening back in the day. But nowadays, every damn running back is tearing his ACL. It happens at lots of positions, but RBs seem to suffer it more often. It's really unfortunate. Especially at RB. Damn, Terrell Davis and Jamal Anderson have had potential Hall of Fame careers robbed by ACL injuries. It's seems like as soon as a guy does well, he gets hurt. Last year it was Edgerring James. Now that Dominic Rhodes did well, he blows his out. Just sucks.

acl's.................

yes, even "back in the day", athletes tore, sprained, blew, and tweeked there acl's and mcl's.

you didn't hear as much about it for a variety of reasons:

1. biggest reason, 20-30 years ago, teams were not practicing like they do now. athletes are bigger and faster, they are doing more things at much higher speeds then guys before. a 240 lb rb with 4.4 speed plants that foot on a cut and SNAP!! by-by acl. o-line guys used to be 265 lbs. now they are 365 and the weight is hard on the knee joints and tissues.

2. 20 years ago [depending on your age] you really were not into the sport as much and your involvment with the game was sporting a finz cap, you probably were not watching the news and the injury report in the newspaper. in other words, it was happening to players, you were just buisy reading comics, or watching goof troop, or whatever, [again, depends on a persons age 20-30 years ago].

LONG LIVE ROCK!! BE IT DEAD OR ALIVE.

the who

Yes, people in the day used to blow out ACLs. Yes, it does happen a lot more often, today.

Personally, I really believe we are approaching the size limit of the human body. As these guys get bigger and bigger our common infrastructure can't stand the stress.

Old school ACL injuries would be more likely to happen when your ski binding didn't release. These days, similar stresses can occur when these physical freaks plant to cut.

The good news is that I'm living proof you can come back stronger from an ACL reconstruction... or even a matched pair of them (which qualifies me for Terry Allen's old job).

-Jeff

Back
Top Bottom