Question... what to do? give away what will be the best QB free agent' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question... what to do? give away what will be the best QB free agent'

Say goodbye to Moore after this season. It would be great for him to back up Tanny forever, but he will go to a team that will at least give him a shot. He certainly deserves it.
You never know . . . he may be happy where he's at if we give him an offer to suite his value to us. He may just decide to stay on. Having an Earl Morrel/Don Strock type skill as backup can be invaluable for any team that wants to win late in the season on a regular basis. Some players just want the respect of their team and a dependable pay check. For those guys it's not about being a starter/star.

I think that in this league having a backup QB with the quality of matt moore is not a reach. QB is the most important position and having 2 very good QB`s is a must. I`d be more than happy if moore stays and ireland offers him a nice contract to backup tanny.

Isn't this a very real test of how good a GM we have? If he does a good job with this dilemma, I will be in his corner.

It's a complicated issue because he's a damn good player and you don't want to let those guys leave.

Moore played well for us last year but I can't help but believe he is progressing better under the new coaching staff also.

Tagging is the average of the top 10 salaries, right? Just by eyeballing, it looks like around 13-14 million
Nope...tagging is the average of the top 5 salaries. That was before Brees got his $20 million per season and Peyton got his $18 million from Denver.

"But he wants to start". Well DUH!!!. So does 32 other backup QBs around the league. At some point QBs start to understand their value to a team. I think Moore has reached that point. He is a slightly below average QB in this league, but he is maybe the BEST backup. With the recent success of rookie QBs and the restructured rookie salary cap EVERY team needing a QB is going to look first to the draft. NO team out there is going to tell their fan base, "we are going to build our franchise around the Miami Dolphins backup QB". That just isn't happening. That isnt selling season tickets

Moore has had a couple of chances to start a season as the starter, and they have never went well. He is not a great practice player. But he is a great locker room leader and someone the entire team believes in. He is the PERFECT backup, and he is worth more to the dolphins than to any other team out there. I think the dolphins will make him one of the highest paid backups in the league, and he will very likely be a dolphin next year.

Who would YOU rather have as your backup, Moore or say....Tebow?? I would take Moore every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Miami is the one place where he has had some success. Offer him good money as a backup. He is currently on $2.5M. Let's say double that and throw in a tennis lesson from the Williams sisters and a margarita from Jimmy Buffett.
Matt Moore is the right guy as Tannehill's backup. He is low key and can step up when he is really needed (like yesterday).

There is no doubt in my mind that Moore will not be a Dolphin next year (unless Tannehill is out a while and he steals the starting spot with elite play - doubtful). There is no way we tag him, and no way he stays knowing he has no shot at starting. Some other team will offer him a legitimate chance to win the starting job, and will be willing to pay him more.

So the only question for me is, is there any way we trade him? To me that depends on 2 things: 1. their confidence in Devlin, and 2. their true realistic feelings on what we can really accomplish this season.
If they feel that at best we are not quite there yet and need one more draft to really turn the corner, it might be smart to see if we can get another high pick heading into the draft. We'd be taking a very big chance of folding this year if Tannehill truly goes down, but if they don't see us really able to compete for it all, the reward could be worth it. We already have extra 2nd and 3rd round picks - could we add another? What an incredible advantage that would be to add to an already surprising, young, up and coming team...

Bottom line is if we don't, he walks next year anyway and we get nothing but one more hole to fill.

Offer him top dollar for a backup QB. If he wants to go elsewhere and start, no hard feelings and best of luck to him. As long as he doesn't go to the Jets, Bills, or Patriots, I will wish him all the best and cheer for him when his team's on TV.

If FatBoy and Meatball are retained in NYJets, Matt Moore would the be the best fit for them.

Back
Top Bottom