Questionable moves | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Questionable moves

Schleprock said:
Tebucky Jones had little production? He was the Saints leading tackler the past 2 years. Yeah, he's not great, but he's equal to or better than what Knight did for us!

Knight for all his limitations was and is a playmaker. Jones has what, a handful of INT's in his career? He can't catch and the reports that he has bad instincts is kinda scary when you consider he'll be helping out Howard and Madison in coverage. Knight was good for 4-6 picks per year as well as being a big hitter.

What do you expect Saban to do, pull players out of a hat. He can only get what is available.

I think that's accurate. Signing Traveres Tillman was pretty much pulling a player out of a hat.

Saban4prez said:
when we moved carey, we weren't even sure if we'd even have mcintosh. and vernon careys a Number 1 pick. Don't make excuses for him. He should be thankful for every shot he gets, at any position.

C'mon. Not all lineman are created equal. Number one pick or not some guys are not cut out to be left tackles. Why do you think left tackles are paid so well?

surtain will not be all that much better in a zone defense then reggie howard would be, so theres no real point in paying him big money to do that.

That's ridiculous. Pat Surtain would be far superior to Reggie Howard in any scheme. Howard is an older more expensive version of Jamar Fletcher.

unifiedtheory said:
Cut Madison?

Did you watch a damn game last year? He was our best corner...by a fair margain.

Yeah, sure. You might want to set your Tivo ahead to 2004/2005 not 1999. Madison is not in the same league as Pat anymore. Madison gets burned by better receivers all the time, commits the dumbest personal foul penalties I've seen since Bryan Cox was here and doesn't even get INT's anymore. How many passes has Sam dropped over the last couple of seasons. He doesn't tackle well either. He's an OK corner, Pat is an all-Pro.

rhadaddy said:
1) The biggest knock on Carey was and is his laziness, not his athleticism. If Houck can make a woeful SD line inot the force it was last year with three rookies then, I'm sure he has alot more insight into the nuances of Carey's talents.

LT's have special athletic qualities. Carey is a big power player. I don't see Houdini making this switch work, but who knows? Everybody in here has avoided the question of what happens to Carey's confidence if he crashes and burns at yet another OL position.

2) Travis Minor showed us last year that he can't be a featured back, however he also was misused and running behind the worst offensive line in the NFL. (No wonder RW quit). With that said Minor is on a one year contract, which he can easily just be training camp fodder. Nonetheless, Linehan offense, features plays that exploit his talents and uses mulitple backs. Either way, I wouldn't read too much into that move.

Minor hasn't shown us anything since his rookie year. He's another wasted Spielstadt first day pick and a lot of it goes on him for not improving or stepping up at all last year. Sammie Morris did.

Whitley on the other hand has been underwhelming, but is it his talent? or is was it coaching? Jeno James, didn't look great last year either. My feeling is, as long as we can have these expanded rosters, especially with the completely new coaching regime, every player with low cap figures should at least be given a chance to compete.

Maybe but again how much is Spielman justifying his work in the past? Whitley was another 3rd round pick who just can't cut it. He's a doughboy who flat out sucks, was the worst player by far on a very bad line. James at his worst can't touch the ineptitude and lack of any ability as lineman that Whitley showed.

3) Madison just re-worked his contract last year and there would be a big cap hit if we cut him this year. Reggie Howard is in the same boat. Besides Reggie is more suited to play cover corner, in the zone schems that Saban implements. Now I'm a big fan of Pat Surtain and I don't want to see him go, as well as I didn't want to see O-Gun go, but if we're going to be successful as a team, the wealth needs to be spread acrros the entire team not just the defense. I know having Sutrain in limbo is fustrating, however, why trade him for less than he's worth. In that case, we should just let him play out his contract this year than give him up for less than market value.

People want to give ol Reggie a break but D-backs either make plays or they don't and I'm afraid that that little poodle don't hunt for anybody. The move to sign him to a pretty big deal might be one of the worst moves made in what was the most desperate and poorly thought out
offseasons in history. Especially if his awful contract is one of the reasons we can't afford to keep Pat.

4) Again Tebcuky was great in NE, under Bellichick. Then he was misused in NO, under a coach and team that probably is the most talented team in the league but under performs every year. FA is still open, there's still June 1st cuts and training camp cuts as well as the draft. It's way to early to pencil Tavares Tillman and Jones as the starters.

They moved pretty decisively to sign those safeties so I think they have a good idea they want them both to start.

I didn't see Tebucky make a lot of plays ever, even with the great coaching of Belichick.

1. Have faith that Houck knows what he is doing.

2. Minor signed a cheap 1 year deal, he still can be let go, same as Sage (who I like)

3. Why give him away, when he can stay. Make a team over pay or keep him. Who cares he is in limbo! Cutting the other two hurts us with the cap hits!

4. I'm sure Saban has a plan, and Bell looked real good before getting hurt last year.

Good answers. I agree.

In every case, Saban has a back up plan. That's what i see. So we're covered in the event Plan A doesn't work.

Carey gets a shot at LT. If he wins, McIntosh is back up LT. If he loses, Carey moves to RG to push Hadnot and McIntosh settles in at LT.

If Tillman doesn't produce, we've got bell waiting in the wings.

We'll use the draft to give us that same comfort at Center, WR and RB.

LT's have special athletic qualities. Carey is a big power player. I don't see Houdini making this switch work, but who knows? Everybody in here has avoided the question of what happens to Carey's confidence if he crashes and burns at yet another OL position.

I'm not optimistic about this move either and it can be a tactic by Saban to throw off what he's doing. In regards to what happens if Carey fails, then we would've wasted a 1st and 4th round pick, but we still have a healthy D-Mac and Wade Smith. In fact, despite not having a running game and being slammed basically every every down with blitzes from opposing defenses, the line not only made progress under Bates but actually look servicable at times when they went to a zone blocking scheme. Houck is know as a master teacher and motivator, unlike Wise, and if he can take 3 rookies and make that SD line successful, I'd love to see what he can do here.

Minor hasn't shown us anything since his rookie year. He's another wasted Spielstadt first day pick and a lot of it goes on him for not improving or stepping up at all last year. Sammie Morris did.

Isn't it ironic how Minor has "regressed" since his rookie year, which coincides with the arrival of Norv Turner and his over hyped offensive system. Minor was not cut out for this system and ironically enough, adding Wanny's "wadball philoshopy to Norv's offense.. made several promising players look bad or like under acheivers. Again you're reading way too much into a 1 year contract, which basically garauntee's nothing except a shot at being one of the running backs in this Linehan's offense. Every year too much has been made about some of our offseason signings, when in reality, we don't have to start cutting anyone until training camp. So why not collect as much talent as we can afford and see how things shake out?

Maybe but again how much is Spielman justifying his work in the past? Whitley was another 3rd round pick who just can't cut it. He's a doughboy who flat out sucks, was the worst player by far on a very bad line. James at his worst can't touch the ineptitude and lack of any ability as lineman that Whitley showed.

I honestly haven't seen enough of whitley to mkae those kinds of statements, however it doesn't speak well if you can't crack our broken offensive line. But again why go out and just cut him, when he hasn't been under the tutiledge of Houck. Wise is not know as a teacher, which is what young offensive lineman need. I won't say he'll make the team, however what does releasing Whitley at this point of the year does for us besides freeing up minimal cap space. This part of the offseason is for collecting and evalutaing players before you start to cut them, unless they're a cap casualty.

People want to give ol Reggie a break but D-backs either make plays or they don't and I'm afraid that that little poodle don't hunt for anybody. The move to sign him to a pretty big deal might be one of the worst moves made in what was the most desperate and poorly thought outoffseasons in history. Especially if his awful contract is one of the reasons we can't afford to keep Pat.

No the worst move in offseason history is the Lions signing Scott Mitchell. The Reggie Howard signing was questionable. But like I said earlier he was a square peg in a round hole in Jim Bates press defense. I would like to see what these players do under a Nick Saban designed defense.

Pat wasn't nearly as effective last year as he was in years past. That's one of the reasons why he hasn't been traded yet. He's a great cover corner, but with the Refs calling penalties for minor contact on virtually every passing play , Surtains press skills have taken a hit. Yes he's great at jamming a reciever in the "5 yard zone", however he wasn't nearly as effective in zone coverage. Add that to his age, knees and contract demands, that equals a luxury this team can't afford.

They moved pretty decisively to sign those safeties so I think they have a good idea they want them both to start.

I can see what you're saying about Tebuckey Jones, but not Tillman. Keep in mind that Tillman is a reclamamtion project that if he doesn't pan out, can easily be cut. With us releasing the over priced Freeman, we needed someone in there to bring in the offseason. I wouldn't be suprised if we draft a safety or sign a couple more before training camp.

I didn't see Tebucky make a lot of plays ever, even with the great coaching of Belichick.

That's why No traded for him a couple offseasons ago :shakeno: I guess there's always going to be second guessing unless we sign a Darius, or Sharper. Truth is no one has a clue outside of the staff and players what Saban intends to do on defense. Having a hard hitting sure tackler on defense as your strong safety is a good place to start.

It's funny how people on this board laughed at NE, when they signed Rodney Harrison, because the year before Ricky juked him outta his shoes and made him look like a fool. In the right setting, he's looked all pro.

Jones is not Harrison by any stretch, but it's funny how, Hugh Douglas can look all pro in Philly and look like a flop in Jax. This league is a system based league and from the looks of it Saban is trying to bring in his "type" of players while still adapting his defense to fit our current personnell.

Steve S said:
Gotta say I like what Saban has done to date. Have a few problems though that could lead to trouble spots next year. Not in any order they are:

1) Moving Carey to LT. He doesn't seem to have the feet or athleticism. This could be a big mistake as he's been moved to his third position. He has talent, size and all the attributes needed to make a good to great RG or RT. Why not let him settle in instead of moving him to the most demanding spot on the line?

2) Not dumping or re-signing dead wood. Travis Minor has no value. He peaked as a rookie. Same with Taylor Whitley who didn't play as a first year guy. He was much better then than what he showed when he actually did play. I feel the same way about Sage Rosenfels, who I thought looked bad in the final game of last season and almost every time I saw him in the preseason. I just hope the presence of these clowns on the roster doesn't preclude Saban from drafting people to take their roster spots.

3) Keeping Surtain in limbo. He's our best D back. Second best defender. We're up against the cap and Saban wants draft picks. However, the Chiefs are too stupid to fork over a 2 and the rest of the league has moved on. Cut Madison and that bum Reggie Howard if we have to. Pat should stay a Dolphin.

4) The Safety spots- Travares Tillman and TBuck are two guys with little production and instincts. Counting on these guys and/or rookies and the oft injured Yeremiah Bell sounds dicey at best.

1) Moving him to left tackle is just a possibility at this point I think, nothing is written in stone.

2) Travis Minor was very effective in the wide open offense at FSU, he was always a bad fit for unimaginative offenses Wannstedt wanted to run, he could very well fit in nicely with linehans offense.

3) The Surtain situation was dictated by our cap situation, his cap number and contract demands for an extension, I think they have handled this as well as they could have.

4) We can't fix everything in one off-season, that being said we should let the draft and the rest of the off-season finish before we judge our safety position.

The one thing I liked about last years draft...

Aside from the Carey Debacle, which still can be salvaged is, it marked the first time in a long time we had a pattern to the way we drafted. If you go back a re-read the draft bios. most of the picks last year were blue collar, hard hitting, mean streak football players.

Unfortunately as promising as Pope looked, he may be too small in a Saban defense, however we weren't draft with Saban in mind last year.

Since Saban has come here, you can see a pattern in the way he's building this team.

The coaching staff has a mixture of older coaches and youth to compensate for the inevitable turn around staffs experience when they're successful.

He's taken that same pattern with the players as well. On Sirius radio, they were chiding Saban , saying the carter and holdiay siginings are win now signings, the defense is old, blah, blah, blah. But they probably don't realize that, these players were brought in as veterans that can give you 2-3 years of service while he starts drafting his "types" of players and molding them into his sytem. So again there's a perfect mixture of old and youth to compensate for player turnover.

That's why Philly and NE has been so successful, on the field, cap wise and always get high comp picks, because they always have a young guy picked specifically to play a role on that team, who's constantly put in a position to succeed, so it makes it easier and more palatable to let stars like Ty Law leave via FA or trade.

Knight was a playmaker, but he was also a play giver-upper. Remember the pass from Brady to Troy Brown in OT two years ago? That play changed the whole season. And in Saban's defensive scheme he'd be doing that on a regular basis. Plus, he's getting paid way too much by KC.

rhadaddy said:
Aside from the Carey Debacle, which still can be salvaged is, it marked the first time in a long time we had a pattern to the way we drafted. If you go back a re-read the draft bios. most of the picks last year were blue collar, hard hitting, mean streak football players.
Right and this is why I think Saban will find some kind of place for Rick Spielman -- they both target the same kinds of players from a psychological perspective (not standpoint). I LOVE the picks we got last year, Carey aside, and I think Spielman was targeting Shawn Andrews and got buffaloed anyway.

Steve S said:
rhadaddy said:
People want to give ol Reggie a break but D-backs either make plays or they don't and I'm afraid that that little poodle don't hunt for anybody. The move to sign him to a pretty big deal might be one of the worst moves made in what was the most desperate and poorly thought out offseasons in history. Especially if his awful contract is one of the reasons we can't afford to keep Pat.
This post is actually pretty poorly thought out. First, we signed Howard because we weren't sure Madison would restructure, and he could've been cut outright. Second, Howard counted only 1.2 million against the cap last year, which is what Terrell Buckley wanted anyway. Developing a young CB who can step into a starting role if Madison hadn't signed and paying him what you would've paid his predecessor (who was much older) isn't too bad a deal. Plus, Howard's contract is like McIntosh's -- it's backloaded with no guaranteed money, so Howard could be cut at some point without much cap ramification.

Surferosa said:
As for Carey, only time will tell. Hudson Houck made Damien McCintosh look like Anthony Munoz in SD (OK, not really, but he was a solid LT). Lets see what he can do with Carey, who is a much better athlete than DMAC.

Couldn't have said better myself. Carey is a much more mobile, stronger, and all around bigger (wingspan, weight, height etc.) then McIntosh.

If Houck can make all these guys look worthy of starting like Mac a former 3rd rd pick (obviously he wasn't exactly considered the man you had to have at LT coming out of college) and guys like Romen Oben (yeah he played so great in 03' that Gruden went out of his way to aquire the services of an older Derrick Deese to replace him in the line up and then ship him off to SD for 5th rd pick) and guys like Shane Olivea (I hope your kidding me this guy was a 7th rd pick starting at RT last year) then I'd be shocked if Houck couldn't make Vernon into at a serviceable LT for us. If Houck can't get Carey to start somewhere next year then Carey should just be banded from the NFL.

Careys move to LT isnt definite we are just trying him out, no proble with that. And dumping dead wait will happen in training camp, Saban needs to see these guys before he starts cutting them and Minors deal is 1 year I dont think he is here long term

Back
Top Bottom