Questionable moves | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Questionable moves

Steve S

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Gotta say I like what Saban has done to date. Have a few problems though that could lead to trouble spots next year. Not in any order they are:

1) Moving Carey to LT. He doesn't seem to have the feet or athleticism. This could be a big mistake as he's been moved to his third position. He has talent, size and all the attributes needed to make a good to great RG or RT. Why not let him settle in instead of moving him to the most demanding spot on the line?

2) Not dumping or re-signing dead wood. Travis Minor has no value. He peaked as a rookie. Same with Taylor Whitley who didn't play as a first year guy. He was much better then than what he showed when he actually did play. I feel the same way about Sage Rosenfels, who I thought looked bad in the final game of last season and almost every time I saw him in the preseason. I just hope the presence of these clowns on the roster doesn't preclude Saban from drafting people to take their roster spots.

3) Keeping Surtain in limbo. He's our best D back. Second best defender. We're up against the cap and Saban wants draft picks. However, the Chiefs are too stupid to fork over a 2 and the rest of the league has moved on. Cut Madison and that bum Reggie Howard if we have to. Pat should stay a Dolphin.

4) The Safety spots- Travares Tillman and TBuck are two guys with little production and instincts. Counting on these guys and/or rookies and the oft injured Yeremiah Bell sounds dicey at best.

Tebucky Jones had little production? He was the Saints leading tackler the past 2 years. Yeah, he's not great, but he's equal to or better than what Knight did for us!

What do you expect Saban to do, pull players out of a hat. He can only get what is available.

1) Moving Carey to LT. He doesn't seem to have the feet or athleticism. This could be a big mistake as he's been moved to his third position. He has talent, size and all the attributes needed to make a good to great RG or RT. Why not let him settle in instead of moving him to the most demanding spot on the line?

when we moved carey, we weren't even sure if we'd even have mcintosh. and vernon careys a Number 1 pick. Don't make excuses for him. He should be thankful for every shot he gets, at any position.

3) Keeping Surtain in limbo. He's our best D back. Second best defender. We're up against the cap and Saban wants draft picks. However, the Chiefs are too stupid to fork over a 2 and the rest of the league has moved on. Cut Madison and that bum Reggie Howard if we have to. Pat should stay a Dolphin.

surtain will not be all that much better in a zone defense then reggie howard would be, so theres no real point in paying him big money to do that.

Steve S said:
Gotta say I like what Saban has done to date. Have a few problems though that could lead to trouble spots next year. Not in any order they are:

2) Not dumping or re-signing dead wood. Travis Minor has no value. He peaked as a rookie. Same with Taylor Whitley who didn't play as a first year guy. He was much better then than what he showed when he actually did play. I feel the same way about Sage Rosenfels, who I thought looked bad in the final game of last season and almost every time I saw him in the preseason. I just hope the presence of these clowns on the roster doesn't preclude Saban from drafting people to take their roster spots.

4) The Safety spots- Travares Tillman and TBuck are two guys with little production and instincts. Counting on these guys and/or rookies and the oft injured Yeremiah Bell sounds dicey at best.

1. Have faith that Houck knows what he is doing.

2. Minor signed a cheap 1 year deal, he still can be let go, same as Sage (who I like)

3. Why give him away, when he can stay. Make a team over pay or keep him. Who cares he is in limbo! Cutting the other two hurts us with the cap hits!

4. I'm sure Saban has a plan, and Bell looked real good before getting hurt last year.

1.) Houck is supposed to be a miracle worker with OL so I'm going to give this a chance.

2.) I completly agree, I really dont understand the Sage or Minor signings.

3.) Surtain is a sticky situation, we cant cut Madison cause of the cap hit and Pat wants a lot of money. I think KC will give the pick over before the draft, if not we may be put in a tough spot.

4.) I agree also that this is going to be a little risky, but in the same hand both are players that have talent TBuck did lead his team in tackles last year I think. Hopefully all they need is to be put in the right situation to succeed. Also with the additions to the DL they wont have that big of an impact because of the pressure on the QB.

Good post Steve. I agree that the "dead wood" moves that you mentioned are somewhat ominous. Just remember though, none of those players are assured of roster spots. If we draft a first day QB, Sage ia all but gone. Minor may not make the team even if we dont draft a RB at 1.2. And Tillman is nothing more than a project based on his athleticism. Id say hes a longshot to make the team.

As for Carey, only time will tell. Hudson Houck made Damien McCintosh look like Anthony Munoz in SD (OK, not really, but he was a solid LT). Lets see what he can do with Carey, who is a much better athlete than DMAC.

Steve S said:

One of the problems of cutting Madison and Howard is the hit on our cap. Take a look at Clumpy's cap page.

Clumpy's estimations are that cutting Madison will create a cap hit of nearly 2.35 Million. We pay Howard $1,000,000/yr but cutting him will cost us $1,055,000.

Cut Madison?

Did you watch a damn game last year? He was our best corner...by a fair margain.

Cutting Madison and/or Howard would make it impossible to keep Pat because of the dead money/cap hit.

Keep Pat in limbo. He's under contract anyway. Nick is doing what is best for the team not an individual player or you.

Pat would have been traded/resigned if he was'nt asking for such a huge deal anyway so I don't mind making him wait.

I can't say I agree with any of these concerns

Steve S said:

1) The biggest knock on Carey was and is his laziness, not his athleticism. If Houck can make a woeful SD line inot the force it was last year with three rookies then, I'm sure he has alot more insight into the nuances of Carey's talents.

2) Travis Minor showed us last year that he can't be a featured back, however he also was misused and running behind the worst offensive line in the NFL. (No wonder RW quit). With that said Minor is on a one year contract, which he can easily just be training camp fodder. Nonetheless, Linehan offense, features plays that exploit his talents and uses mulitple backs. Either way, I wouldn't read too much into that move.

Whitley on the other hand has been underwhelming, but is it his talent? or is was it coaching? Jeno James, didn't look great last year either. My feeling is, as long as we can have these expanded rosters, especially with the completely new coaching regime, every player with low cap figures should at least be given a chance to compete.

3) Madison just re-worked his contract last year and there would be a big cap hit if we cut him this year. Reggie Howard is in the same boat. Besides Reggie is more suited to play cover corner, in the zone schems that Saban implements. Now I'm a big fan of Pat Surtain and I don't want to see him go, as well as I didn't want to see O-Gun go, but if we're going to be successful as a team, the wealth needs to be spread acrros the entire team not just the defense. I know having Sutrain in limbo is fustrating, however, why trade him for less than he's worth. In that case, we should just let him play out his contract this year than give him up for less than market value.

4) Again Tebcuky was great in NE, under Bellichick. Then he was misused in NO, under a coach and team that probably is the most talented team in the league but under performs every year. FA is still open, there's still June 1st cuts and training camp cuts as well as the draft. It's way to early to pencil Tavares Tillman and Jones as the starters.

actually minor is a perfect running back for our new offense. Screens, quick flares, quick hitters (run) etc. Minor was not the right back for wadball.

Saban didnt need a DC anyways he will call all the defensive shots.

1. Notice that the "moving Carey to LT" thing has been just about the only personnel thing leaked out of Davie this offseason. Why? -- to make McIntosh sign for less. McIntosh will probably be our LT, not Carey. I see Carey at RG alongside McDougle.

2. Don't forget that Travis Minor is a good kick returner and special teams player too. He has some value at the price he was signed.

3. Ogunleye was in limbo too, and he was traded. Teams aren't real quick to trade a high pick AND pay a huge signing bonus at the same time. There's the inevitable jockeying that goes on before a trade that puts the player in limbo unfortunately.

4. Saban will get more out of Tebucky Jones at SS than any team has gotten out of him. And Tillman and Bell will compete at FS -- a player will come out of that.

1..who know..might be a good move for Carey.
2..I agree that T. Minor is not very good, but Sage Rosenfels has more of a right to be on this team than Feeley does. due to the fact that he's been with us for 4yrs and hes' better.
3.What do you want them to do if no one is offering any good deals for Surtain?? You have to keep him in limbo. Keep dangling him all the way up until opening day..if no one wants him, let him play out his last year.
4.The safeties are not anything special, your right. But they're not horrible either. I'd like to see them go after a nice safety in the draft./

Back
Top Bottom