Quickest way to ruin this team. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quickest way to ruin this team.

Our qb position is better to be held by a veteran instead of a Rookie but unless that player proves everyone wrong then I don't buy into the qb hype. There hasn't been any major productive quarterbacks in the first round in years other than a few.

LtDan662002 said:
Pennington-Cannon???LMAO:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I wasn't talking about Puddington. They were comparing Smith to Manning, Roethlisberger and McNabb.

Comparing Smith to Pennington is accurate if you want a skinny wimp noodle arm QB who is hurt half the year EVERY year.

The only thing about Smith that worries me, is people inflating his stock due to lack of depth at the QB position.

The old "supply and demand" theory.

It was not more then 10 weeks ago(before Leinart returned) that he was considered along the lines of a 2nd-3rd round pick.

He ran a "gimmicky" offense against less then "top tier" competition.

Questionable arm strength.....blah.....blah....blah.....

He was mentioned in the same breath as Orton, Frye.....etc.

Then Leinart stays at USC and all the sudden his stock starts rising.

That worries me a bit.

Then again, Ive only seen Alex Smith play three times.......

So Im just going to trust our coaching staff to make the best decision.

(I can believe I just said that, thanks Wayne H)

sports24/7 said:
Its true that if Smith is a bust it would be very damaging, but if he lives up to his potential he could help greatly to turn this franchise around and give us a great player at the most important position on the feild.

Damn it, if I had more than 100 posts I would have posted a picture of Captain Obvious... Its your lucky day:tongue:

phinfan77 said:
did smith steal your girlfriend?

You have a lot of hate in this thread

I don't hate Smith, i actually liked him when he was a 3rd round prospect. Then he sky rockets into the 1st round and everyone and their mother wants to pick this guy #2 overall? He's WAY to risky for us to be taking that high and he would friggin kill us for years if he's a bust. He'll need more than two years in the NFL to develop into starter material and the Dolphins don't have that kind of time to let the #2 pick sit on the bench making millions of dollars.

HVACservice said:
The only thing about Smith that worries me, is people inflating his stock due to lack of depth at the QB position.

The old "supply and demand" theory.

It was not more then 10 weeks ago(before Leinart returned) that he was considered along the lines of a 2nd-3rd round pick.

He ran a "gimmicky" offense against less then "top tier" competition.

Questionable arm strength.....blah.....blah....blah.....

He was mentioned in the same breath as Orton, Frye.....etc.

Then Leinart stays at USC and all the sudden his stock starts rising.

That worries me a bit.

Then again, Ive only seen Alex Smith play three times.......

So Im just going to trust our coaching staff to make the best decision.

(I can believe I just said that, thanks Wayne H)

Arm Strength- showed he has the arm at the work out. Yes it was a work out but everyone is saying "questionable", not that he has a noodle arm.

Offense change- He is going to be a rookie. He has time to adapt and learn the offence. Smartest QB in the Draft. It doesnt take a miracle to take a rookie QB who came from a different offence and have them run a new offense well... ie. nearly all QBs that come out of the Draft.

Cheapshotz said:
I don't hate Smith, i actually liked him when he was a 3rd round prospect. Then he sky rockets into the 1st round and everyone and their mother wants to pick this guy #2 overall? He's WAY to risky for us to be taking that high and he would friggin kill us for years if he's a bust. He'll need more than two years in the NFL to develop into starter material and the Dolphins don't have that kind of time to let the #2 pick sit on the bench making millions of dollars.

Everyone has just the same chance to become a bust. Busts happen equally throughout the draft.

Happens all the time. Didn't Saban say something along the lines of, oh I don't know.. "Make Haste Slowly".

If you havent noticed most QB's sit at least 1 year if not 2.

surprise surprise

Cheapshotz said:
Is wasting the #2 pick on Alex Smith. Just ask the Cleveland Browns how hard is to recover from a wasted pick on a scrub QB.

If we pick Smith at #2 we'll have many more picks in the top 5 for the next few years.

Quit taking "Cheap Shotz". :lol:

You know I'm gonna have to agree with cheapshotz on this one other quarterbacks that have been high picks from smaller schools in recent years such as Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger have had some sort of certain "it" quality that just gave me the impression that they would be a good NFL quarterback, and I just don't see it in Alex Smith. This definitely could be because I am not convinced he deserves the number 2 pick because of the way he has sky rocketed as mentioned above, or it could be because I don' feel he has the adequate arm strength or maybe it's the offense he ran at Utah under Urban Meyer. What ever the case Alex Smith could always prove me wrong and be a solid QB as thats the gamble you take in the draft, but IMO we would be wiser if we decided to pass on him as I just don't think he is worthy of such a high pick.

kizzaboo said:
Everyone has just the same chance to become a bust. Busts happen equally throughout the draft.

Happens all the time. Didn't Saban say something along the lines of, oh I don't know.. "Make Haste Slowly".

If you havent noticed most QB's sit at least 1 year if not 2.

surprise surprise

Yeah, but picking a BUST at #2 when you have the choice to pick ANYONE you want is way more devastating.

OurHeartAndSoul said:
You know I'm gonna have to agree with cheapshotz on this one other quarterbacks that have been high picks from smaller schools in recent years such as Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger have had some sort of certain "it" quality that just gave me the impression that they would be a good NFL quarterback, and I just don't see it in Alex Smith. This definitely could be because I am not convinced he deserves the number 2 pick because of the way he has sky rocketed as mentioned above, or it could be because I don' feel he has the adequate arm strength or maybe it's the offense he ran at Utah under Urban Meyer. What ever the case Alex Smith could always prove me wrong and be a solid QB as thats the gamble you take in the draft, but IMO we would be wiser if we decided to pass on him as I just don't think he is worthy of such a high pick.

I don't think any of the MAC Qb's were picked in the top 10 either, because they played inferior competition.

He's smart, very young, and had a superb statistical season, so on paper (read- sportswriters who never look at college palyers till the draft) he looks great.

but it does seem like a real weak class for Qb so I understand cheapshotz"s concern. He was the "dark horse" to make it in the first round when lienhart was still in, no he's the definate 2 QB taken. And it could just be from the system.

also- does anyone know how well urban meyers quartebacks fare in the NFL? It would be a good to rate the system along with the QB.

Back
Top Bottom