R. Smith vs D. James | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

R. Smith vs D. James

phish

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think that one should be available by the time we select at 11. We need more speed on D and both provide that. I believe that James may be the better nfl prospect considering that not only does he have elite talent, like Smith, he has elite measurables which may lead to him being selected before we draft. So if Smith is there we should take him. And for all those saying he is too small, I kinda remember a LB Miami use to have that was “too small” as well. On a side note, Zach needs to be in the HOF....... All that being said, if we go QB at 11, I would not be disappointed. As long as we don’t go CORN !!!!

I have been leaning towards Smith, but I have changed and wanting Smith all the way. I love the thought of using McDonald as a hybrid and running the three safety set as your base. James can do it all and is a rare talent. Just not sure Burke would know what to do.

Smith gives you coverage but he's a true WILL, not an experiment. If we get Smith and a FS in FA or the 2nd round we could also move McD around. Imagine having a WILL who can cover, a FS who is a ball hawk AND McD as a hybrid and immediate back up at either S position AND WILL. No excuses on defense this year.

If you want someone who can cover TE's and RB's all over the field James is far and away the better option. He has elite skills, and I think he could absolutely shut down those positions which by the way has been our biggest problem on defense for some time now. Roquan is super athletic with elite skills of his own, but he's not on the level of James when it comes to coverage. I think there's no chance this FO and coaching staff takes a safety though with the love fest they have for Jones, and McDonald, but it would really be a huge mistake to pass up on James imo. I'd be perfectly fine with Roquan, but I'm not sure they'd take him either.

If both James and Roquan are available and we pass on them we better be trading down and getting plus value in terms of compensation. Otherwise if we just pick someone not named Fitzpatrick instead then I'll quit on this FO.

Harris was at the moment and to date underwhelming enough.

Roquan Smith takes many times more false and hesitant steps than Zach Thomas ever did.

I think he'll be a good pro but the idea of taking a little linebacker at #11 makes me sick. Covering NFL guys is a heck of a lot different than anything we've seen from Smith.

ckparrothead recently did a very good breakdown on NFL schematic tendencies, the shift away from base sets due to the reality of such a passing league. In essence it means replacing linebackers with defensive backs.

So the Miami Dolphins will counter the league wide logic by pretending it doesn't apply to us, that our little linebacker from Georgia can cover every bit as effectively as a defensive back.

Sounds about right.

I still think James being around at 11 is a fantasy. Roquan, IMHO, would improve the D but would it equate to wins ? Is he a playmaker? Will he create turnovers? For those who want defense I’m thinking Fitzpatrick has a slight chance of being on the board and that’s who I’d be hoping for if I were one of those who wanted defense in round one, two or even three. Which I’m not.

Just a feeling, but I don't think Miami takes either even if both are available. That's not to say that linebacker isn't a target, but Smith being a WLB and on the small side, I think Miami passes. I don't think the team sees safety as a need.

I could be wrong. I often am with the Dolphins. It's certainly a hard organization to figure out sometimes. But my guess is a defensive end there, someone who can rush the passer.

Just a feeling, but I don't think Miami takes either even if both are available. That's not to say that linebacker isn't a target, but Smith being a WLB and on the small side, I think Miami passes. I don't think the team sees safety as a need.

I could be wrong. I often am with the Dolphins. It's certainly a hard organization to figure out sometimes. But my guess is a defensive end there, someone who can rush the passer.
This is what I was saying a few posts up, and I agree with you 100%. I think it would be a mistake however to pass up on either of these guys, especially James. Burke is on record saying we didn't have the right players to cover TE's, well James is the perfect player to do that.

I still think James being around at 11 is a fantasy. Roquan, IMHO, would improve the D but would it equate to wins ? Is he a playmaker? Will he create turnovers? For those who want defense I’m thinking Fitzpatrick has a slight chance of being on the board and that’s who I’d be hoping for if I were one of those who wanted defense in round one, two or even three. Which I’m not.

It will all depend on the QB's. James is a top 5 talent, and I don't expect him to be there at 11, but all depending on how many QB's go.

I agree with you on how the Miami brain trust works, which is why we will be forever average...

Roquan Smith takes many times more false and hesitant steps than Zach Thomas ever did.

I think he'll be a good pro but the idea of taking a little linebacker at #11 makes me sick. Covering NFL guys is a heck of a lot different than anything we've seen from Smith.

ckparrothead recently did a very good breakdown on NFL schematic tendencies, the shift away from base sets due to the reality of such a passing league. In essence it means replacing linebackers with defensive backs.

So the Miami Dolphins will counter the league wide logic by pretending it doesn't apply to us, that our little linebacker from Georgia can cover every bit as effectively as a defensive back.

Sounds about right.

That reasoning of yours is all backwards.

Yes, the tendency is to play DBs instead of LBs, but such tendency is also present in college football.

Roquan is basically a hybrid who ALREADY had his run at LB, capitaned his defense, won the award to the best LB in college and led his team to a national championship game while at it. And I mean LED, he was the best player on that team. Fromm is too young and didn't start the season, Chubb is worn down, Michel is good but only started getting more carries toward the end of the season when Chubb was no longer his old self. Alonzo Carter was probably a faaar second best player on defense.

James with all his awesomeness couldn't lead the 'Noles any where, has an injury history and would be an experiment playing weakside in base.

Fitz is obviously good but he had 50 other NFL caliber players around him and up to 20 dbs in this draft outproduced him through their college carreers because of that.

I think it's clear as day light Roquan is the better player.

The only knock on him is height. Other than James and Harrison (who is not a fit for the hybrid since he can't man cover for his life) how many SSs are taller than 6'2?

I'm not sold on smith. Seems like he get washed out at the line a lot. He can't really hang inside. I like tremaine Edmunds more. He will actually be able to handle shedding blocks. Plus he has amazing instincts that always have him in the right place. McMillan has that trait as well. That would be nice.

I also wouldnt mind taking a look at the other VT Edmunds, his brother Terrell, who is a safety. Both are great players. VT had a really amazing defense last season. You should always try to grab players from defenses that good.

Lol, unless you keep Kiko at will Edmunds is not a fit. His brother would make a nice weakside/safety hybrid.

I'm not sold on smith. Seems like he get washed out at the line a lot. He can't really hang inside. I like tremaine Edmunds more. He will actually be able to handle shedding blocks. Plus he has amazing instincts that always have him in the right place. McMillan has that trait as well. That would be nice.

I also wouldnt mind taking a look at the other VT Edmunds, his brother Terrell, who is a safety. Both are great players. VT had a really amazing defense last season. You should always try to grab players from defenses that good.

Back
Top Bottom