Raekwon Davis better at DE? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis better at DE?

i think this is a little different and we run some weird hybrid front, so it is musical chairs from play to play by design.
Just don’t want them experimenting with this line, I know they like doing that with everything else.

Just don’t want them experimenting with this line, I know they like doing that with everything else.
on oline it is counterproductive with younger players at times, and once a guy settles in they shouldn't be moving him around.

on defensive line, a DT has to play NT and DT and DE at times, based on whether we're in a 4 man front or a 3 man front (or something fruitier).

not experimenting, it's the scheme. but i'm with you in principle! leave people to do what they're good at!

They need to not start with the musical chairs game with d line like they did with the o line. Davis is doing what he was brought here to do which is clog the running lanes up the middle and he’s doing a splendid job right now.
It's not musical chairs these are bigger and less athletic guys and you rotate them to keep them fresh and also depends on the package we're running.
Every team switches up DL a lot.

It's not musical chairs these are bigger and less athletic guys and you rotate them to keep them fresh and also depends on the package we're running.
Every team switches up DL a lot.
he's not talking about rotating in and out (lol).

he's talking about making them switch positions. but that's what they do in our scheme.

he's not talking about rotating in and out (lol).

he's talking about making them switch positions. but that's what they do in our scheme.
Gotcha. Still not uncommon for guys to move from DE to DT depending on package. Especially these days when base defense doesn't really exist and there's 5 dbs on the field more than not.

Gotcha. Still not uncommon for guys to move from DE to DT depending on package. Especially these days when base defense doesn't really exist and there's 5 dbs on the field more than not.
yup

Raekwon is such a big man - he takes up a lot of space. Since his return from the injury incurred in the first 5 mins of game 1, we have been far more successful in limiting the rushing yards up the middle. My hunch is that Coach Flo knows precisely where he wants Big Raekwon to play and it's not as a Defensive End.

When Davis was out the run D suffered. He is a rock at NT, doing exactly what he needs to do.
Agreed. I don't think he's a Vince Wilfork level NT by any means, but we are two years into this thing. The defense plays noticeably better when he is out there and healthy.

I cant help but wonder this. Davis, was a DE in college. We know how often Flo loves to utilize people in odd ways. I feel like Raekwon is being grossly misused in our Defense. He is built like a monster DE. Typically, DT are big and slow block absorbers and run stoppers. I would love to see Davis moved to the Edge. I think he would dominate.
Next year we could search for a big monster DT that is more in line with the norm.
Davis from Georgia? Probably close to a top 15 pick.

I cant help but wonder this. Davis, was a DE in college. We know how often Flo loves to utilize people in odd ways. I feel like Raekwon is being grossly misused in our Defense. He is built like a monster DE. Typically, DT are big and slow block absorbers and run stoppers. I would love to see Davis moved to the Edge. I think he would dominate.
Next year we could search for a big monster DT that is more in line with the norm.
Either a monster DE or a quick athletic NT. Depends which way you wanna look at it.

Davis is great as a “gap occupier” and at “eating double teams.” Those are his strengths! His game is weaker when it comes to lateral quickness and penetration. Not saying he can’t make those types of plays on occasion, bc he can. Certainly he can slide outside to DE on occasion and be fine but again, that’s not his strength. I said prior to draft, after watching him for 3 years, that he would be great as a NT due to his strength and that he is not moved off the LOS even when double teamed. Not the typical body type for NT but he plays that role extremely well. I was ecstatic when we drafted him. Our D is much better when he’s playing. Not a coincidence we got much better when he returned.

He’s the key to our run defense And is disruptive up the middle which is key. The way the defense has been playing I think we can leave it to the coaches…

Back
Top Bottom