Raekwon Davis named to football writers of America all rookie team | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis named to football writers of America all rookie team

He didn't make an impact. Secondly, your run defense isn't one great linebacker away from being a true strength of the team.

Miami's run defense improved from 27th last year to 16th this year in yards per game.

Improved from 22nd last year in yards per carry to 20th this year.

Improved from 22nd last year in rushing TD's given up to 19th this year.

Your run defense is still below average. Although Droykwan makes up for it by not affecting the passing game at all. But I tried to tell you.

I'll try to hang around long enough to give you a shot to be right on this one. Damn shame those weekly Droykwan threads disappeared.
Those are stats quoted over the entirety of the 2020 season.

Your not taking into consideration the improvement made by the run defense as they leveraged Davis more starting from week 8 on.

Week 8 was the first game he played over 50% of the defensive snaps (53%).

1611106197548.png

In weeks 1 through 6 where he played 42% or less of the defensive snaps the fins gave up a total of 745 rushing yards or 124.2 yards per game. If this number held true the entire season they would have been the 12th worst ranked defense against the run.

In weeks 8 through 17 where his playing time clearly increased the fins gave up a total of 1,117 yards in those 10 games. This is good for 111.7 yards per game. That number would be good for 12th best ironically in the league.

Keeping in mind 2 of the worst run D performances of the season (LA and Ari) were right when he started getting around that 50% number. Kyler Murray himself had 100+ on the ground via zone read, power and scrambles (not all necessarily areas Davis is responsible for).

So clearly it can be said that the Fins are a top 12 run defense as is with Davis receiving over half the snaps.

So certainly the argument can be made that with a truly "great" Mike backer and Davis improving with more experience that the run defense "could be a true strength of the team".

It's ok to be wrong on your evaluation.

People who get paid far more then you do get it wrong constantly and still keep their jobs.

But don't make stuff up to feed your narrative, that is just asinine.......

Those are stats quoted over the entirety of the 2020 season.

Your not taking into consideration the improvement made by the run defense as they leveraged Davis more starting from week 8 on.

Week 8 was the first game he played over 50% of the defensive snaps (53%).

View attachment 62993

In weeks 1 through 6 where he played 42% or less of the defensive snaps the fins gave up a total of 745 rushing yards or 124.2 yards per game. If this number held true the entire season they would have been the 12th worst ranked defense against the run.

In weeks 8 through 17 where his playing time clearly increased the fins gave up a total of 1,117 yards in those 10 games. This is good for 111.7 yards per game. That number would be good for 12th best ironically in the league.

Keeping in mind 2 of the worst run D performances of the season (LA and Ari) were right when he started getting around that 50% number. Kyler Murray himself had 100+ on the ground via zone read, power and scrambles (not all necessarily areas Davis is responsible for).

So clearly it can be said that the Fins are a top 12 run defense as is with Davis receiving over half the snaps.

So certainly the argument can be made that with a truly "great" Mike backer and Davis improving with more experience that the run defense "could be a true strength of the team".

It's ok to be wrong on your evaluation.

People who get paid far more then you do get it wrong constantly and still keep their jobs.

But don't make stuff up to feed your narrative, that is just asinine.......
I am all for Davis playing well in the future, but 1 TFL and 1 QB hit on 538 defensive snaps is dismal.

Good for him.Kinda reminds of the DT that went to Buffalo and played 1 good game last year vs us then disappeared.

Wow, we _finally_ have a rookie who was recognized for an exceptional rookie season ... and all this negativity. Can't we quit pointing fingers and just enjoy it and hope he continues to progress? I didn't expect Raekwon Davis to succeed, but he has already proven he was not a bust. Kudos to Grier & Co. for picking up a contributor. The jury is still out on whether it was a great 2nd rounder or not.

One of our posters with a very good record of analyzing college talent (nobody is perfect) illustrated impact 2nd rounders, and we can all agree those guys he named were exceptional. Guys like Tee Higgins and Jaylon Johnson were guys I particularly noted as sleepers in the 2nd round, because those guys absolutely had 1st round talent, IMHO. And maybe I'm biased, but today I'd trade Raekwon Davis for either of those guys in a heartbeat.

Still, I'm proud of Raekwon Davis, and thankful that he has shown improvement. Everyone noted he looks like Tarzan ... the question is whether a coaching staff (preferably OUR coaching staff) can ever get him to play like Tarzan--a superhero of unbelievable natural athleticism.
If we’ve learned anything from guys like Jordan Phillips and Wilkins it’s that these players only get better in year 2 and 3 and so on. Good start for Davis.

Back
Top Bottom