Raekwon Davis named to football writers of America all rookie team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis named to football writers of America all rookie team

Great point.

And I can't help but remember Jimmy Johnson's explanation of why he drafted Darryl Gardner over some more need-specific targets and some higher rated targets. See, Darryl Gardner was HUGE and unbelievably athletic for his size. Jimmy Johnson drafted Gardner in round 1 over some of those higher rated targets and justified it by (paraphrasing) something like--Do you want to settle for good, or do you want to take a chance at greatness? That's how personnel people think. That's why a lot of busts happen in round 1 despite there being more than 32 can't-miss prospects ... because teams take a chance on a JJ Watt, Robert Nkemdiche, or Byron Jones. Sure, Nkemdiche didn't work out ... and actually there are a lot of busts like him, but when your DL hits, he can look like JJ Watt.

Dallas took a chance on a CB who was phenomenally athletic and dominated the combine. That guy was also very smart, articulate, hard working, and team oriented. But he was a bit raw and came from a bit lower competition conference. That guy was Byron Jones, who blossomed into one of the best cover CB's in the NFL, the highest paid FA last year, and our rock funneling all t hose QB throws to Xavien Howard who made 10 INT's to fuel our dominating defense. Sometimes those gambles pay off, and when they do ... you have a star. Ironically, the Cowboys did not re-sign that star, in part because their other star draft picks--Dak Prescott and Zeke--also needed big slices of the pie. Likewise they took a chance on arguably the best prospect in a draft who had a debilitating injury--Jaylon Smith--and once he finally healed up, has become a star as well. Quietly, Steven Jones (Jerry Jones' son and defacto GM and future owner of the Cowboys) has become a very good NFL person, both as an owner and as a GM.

Raekwon Davis is not a bet on a reliable resource. Davis did NOT produce enough at Alabama. But he was recruited there because of his supreme tools, upside, and potential. Maybe, slowly, we're teasing that potential out of the guy? Fingers crossed.

Fins Up!

You can go too far in either direction. The Cowboys gamble a lot and hit on some...they also draft the likes of Taco Charlton and Mo Claiborne and have a team that's a financial mess because of their star first approach.

There's a balance to be struck there. You can only have so many of those Igbo/Byron Jones picks. Igbo might turn out to be a great corner someday but right now hes a wasted roster spot, being outplayed by undrafted free agents. Jones was more productive as a decent safety from day one, although he never offered a real return on the team's investment until he switched to corner. The Cowboys got one great season from the man out of five years.

My best guess would be that they drafted Davis primarily based on a physical profile along with whatever they were able to devise from his interviews. Hes physically capable of doing what they ask of him and he plays hard. Barring injury or some unforeseen change of heart it looks like the Phins have found a 4 yr starter at tackle. Mid round picks that can establish themselves early on as quality starters are the lifeblood of a successful franchise.

There's always a place for those Gronk type picks and I can't fault Grier and co. when they gamble on trades for Breida or Shaheen with the hopes of uncovering a hidden gem. I still think you have to spend the majority of your picks on players you think you'll get real contributions from in those years where they operate under artificially deflated salaries.

I'm proud for Raekwon....Love my Bama guys doing well...But,i like slimm,thought 2nd round was to high.
I was thinking third round...shows you why I'm on a message board and not in some teams front office.
I was in the same boat, I thought 3rd as well based on physical attributes and potential. He never improved over time at Bama and offered little to the pass rush. You always expected more from him.

im glad he’s contributing

Back
Top Bottom