Raekwon Davis... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis...

DPhinz_DPhinz

I cash reality checks....
☠️ Banned ☠️
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
this doesn't look like a 2nd rounder. He's being handled 1v1 a lot in this Auburn game.

When he was head up with Damian Lewis, it was a stalemate. Not good or bad on Davis part. Lewis can play. Hunt can play 2 positions which is why I liked him over Lewis.

This is not really a scathing attack on Davis. It's just my protest at what I see as an overdraft, or a player benefitting from playing at 'Bama.

Supposedly he was good in 2017 and not so much the last two years..

Supposedly he was good in 2017 and not so much the last two years..

Exactly. Everyone admits he’s slipped the past couple seasons.

So he wasn’t drafted based upon recent production. He was drafted upon immense talent, past production, and likely Flo’s belief that he can develop and maximize all of it.

Different position and player, of course, but Dan Marino had a very subpar senior season — throwing 6 more INT’s than TD’s — but we all know how that one turned out.

The talent was always there and Don Shula and staff were able to maximize it.

Perhaps something similar can happen with Davis and a defensive minded coach in Flo.

Exactly. Everyone admits he’s slipped the past couple seasons.

So he wasn’t drafted based upon recent production. He was drafted upon immense talent, past production, and likely Flo’s belief that he can develop and maximize all of it.

Different position and player, of course, but Dan Marino had a very subpar senior season — throwing 6 more INT’s than TD’s — but we all know how that one turned out.

The talent was always there and Don Shula and staff were able to maximize it.

Perhaps something similar can happen with Davis and a defensive minded coach in Flo.
Feels like a lot of the players we drafted are guys we arent going to count on right away, and will be fine to develop them for a bit

I don't know how you watch those games and think he's not a 2nd rounder.

He's brutalizing the offensive linemen he faces. He's getting off blocks. He's staying rooted against the double teams. When linemen go on the attack against him, they can't move him. And when he goes on the attack, most times in pass rush, you'll see two sets of eyes on him, lots of double-teaming. And if he's not doubled, the QB is on an egg timer, and uncomfortable because the pocket is collapsing. For the kind of player he is, his ability to get lateral and cut off the ball trying to escape the perimeter, or to turn around and chase the ball into the second level, is phenomenal.

The scheme fit is also superb.

He's brutalizing the offensive linemen he faces. He's getting off blocks. He's staying rooted against the double teams. When linemen go on the attack against him, they can't move him. And when he goes on the attack, most times in pass rush, you'll see two sets of eyes on him, lots of double-teaming. And if he's not doubled, the QB is on an egg timer, and uncomfortable because the pocket is collapsing. For the kind of player he is, his ability to get lateral and cut off the ball trying to escape the perimeter, or to turn around and chase the ball into the second level, is phenomenal.

I’m a little iffy on Davis. I’m in love with the Jones and Perry picks. Weaver is a stud.

if Davis can be consistent in eating up the o-Line and being immovable I’ll be happy

My reaction to the pick was more meh if anything. Not anything against Davis I just wanted to go a different direction at that pick.

That being said as I watch more of his film I think people were expecting him to build after his one monster star year and instead his role in the defense changed.

Besides, anybody that makes Flo show emotion will get a wait and see approach

Just rewatched up to 3:38 of the Auburn game (enough to remind me). I don't see what you are seeing. You point me out to a particular time in the game where he was doing all this "goodness".

I rewatched up to 5 minutes of the LSU game, and when the doubles (not as often as you make it seem) came his way it was because the blocking scheme drew it up that way. Watch his 1 v 1's with Damien Lewis (3rd rounder)m Lewis is basically telling him, "If you think your pass rush is getting past where I engage you, you aren't thinking." Then he lined up at end, against Saadiq Charles (295 lbs). That didn't go well either.

If he's going to be tasked with occupying blocks...I have a feeling that the opponent will be able to replace the plural with the singular, in reference to the word 'blocks'....

My reaction to the pick was more meh if anything. Not anything against Davis I just wanted to go a different direction at that pick.

That being said as I watch more of his film I think people were expecting him to build after his one monster star year and instead his role in the defense changed.

Besides, anybody that makes Flo show emotion will get a wait and see approach

He was never the same after he shot himself/was shot...whatever story was put out for public consumption.

From what I heard Davis spent the last 2 years unselfishly eating up double teams.

Double teams came at Davis early and often as a junior, and they've been present so far this season. Given time to reflect and approach a new season, he decided his double team technique needed work. He has graded himself on a brutal scale — and passed.

"I just look at every snap. I evaluate myself after every snap, see did I step wrong, see did I put my head in the wrong gap, just like the little things," Davis said. "It takes a lot of time, but I'm a veteran so I know if something wasn't right.

"I improved a lot. On my double teams, how I pass rush, I feel like I improved. To other folks, they got they own opinions."

Those opinions aren't of Davis' concern, because he knows his process is good. All that's left are the stats and the end result.

Watch the tape, not just highlights. He ate a ton of double teams.

Watch the tape, not just highlights. He ate a ton of double teams.
I posted two games of Bama's defensive snaps against draft-eligible competition. It didn't show any real focus on doubling Davis. I would post the Michigan game as well where Ruiz and Brederson handled him but the Auburn and LSU games showed that he wasn't the space-eating monster we are making him out to be. Rather he is playing the only spots that a 6'7 315 lbs human being should be playing on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not the glass half full or empty here. I'm "That glass needs some more water."

Davis was the only pick I was not happy with.

He is not a stiff or a wasted pick but I was surprised Miami valued him that highly.

I would have gone Uche or Chinn there.

If they take Chinn at 56 then they could have had Hamilton or Madubuike at 70.

I would prefer that scenario but it is made with the benefit of hindsight on who would be there at 70.

Back
Top Bottom